Author Topic: Windows 10 - The Force is rebooting me  (Read 17501 times)

Offline RagingPineapple

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
Re: Windows 10 - The Force is rebooting me
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2016, 12:36:46 PM »
     I find it hard to believe that Aces High is the ONLY application running on your computer. All hardware needs drivers to run them, and even the box stock version of Windows 10 comes with applications like "Microsoft One Drive" that have a high impact on your start-up. Check your "Startup" tab in the task manager to see what apps are running on start-up and their respective impacts.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2016, 01:57:31 PM »
It is the only application.

Drivers are not applications.  Yes, the boxes use the latest version of hardware drivers available.  We do not install ancillary utilities for the drivers.

And one more time.  The operating systems are running stock configurations.  If they run something, as part of the default, then it is running.

As these are test systems, the default behaviors will not be compromised.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline RagingPineapple

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2016, 02:40:46 PM »
     So you'll go as far as to mess with the windows registries files on windows 7 to get it to do what you want, but you won't do something as simple as disabling a useless startup application to reduce your boot time with Windows 10? No wonder why you "shake your head" when you hear that people are booting faster with Windows 10. It's as if you are trying to skew the results to fit your bias.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2016, 02:55:24 PM »
I had Windows 10 Pro running on an Intel Pentium D 945 and it started in about 15 to 20 seconds. The longest part of it's startup was the system POST.

I still have it running on an AMD Phenom 9100e and it starts in 15 seconds consistently. There are no SSDs in either system and the computer with an i5 SSD running Windows 7 takes 30 to 40 seconds to boot.

When people are saying that Windows 10 is slower than Windows 7 I have to just shake my head and wonder how much they have done to modify their systems to such a point.

I have also never had any issue with the OS that have been reported on the MS forums. This probably has something to do with the fact that these posts are coming from people who are still on the insiders program and testing the beta versions of updates. The majority of these issues get resolved before the update is ever rolled out.

When customers bring in their computers that won't boot, they usually say that they unplugged it while it was updating to Windows 10. The issues with updates seem to largely be user error. I then have to reinstall Windows 7 just to repeat this process again a couple of days later. I don't understand why they are fighting the update so much since Windows 10 is so much better than 7 in every way.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2016, 03:04:53 PM »
     So you'll go as far as to mess with the windows registries files on windows 7 to get it to do what you want, but you won't do something as simple as disabling a useless startup application to reduce your boot time with Windows 10? No wonder why you "shake your head" when you hear that people are booting faster with Windows 10. It's as if you are trying to skew the results to fit your bias.

My home system is not what is in comparison here.  The system here is a box stock system.  Nothing changed.  Box stock installation.  Nothing changed.  Boht OEM installations are complete.  Nothing changed.

Am I saying it badly?  I must be doing something wrong.  Would someone please review what I have said and tell me where I went wrong?  I am pretty sure I have said it a few times.  Nothing has changed in the default configurations of BOTH systems.

<snip>I don't understand why they are fighting the update so much since Windows 10 is so much better than 7 in every way.

I have not found Windows 10 to be any better than Windows 7 in my applications.  My main issue with Windows 10 are the issues I have had to deal with which seem silly to me.  Like how it suddenly would not allow us to access a share drive until we changed the name of the computer.  This was after a recent update.  There are other things, but that was the latest.

Or how it suddenly will update and reboot in the middle of your work.  Just have to make sure nothing is running when not at the computer.

Personally I detest the telemetry data they are stealing in Windows 10.  Overall, I do not see a benefit to Windows 10.  At least, in my applications.

I know one day the issues will subside and it will be as bug free as Windows 7.  They probably will get there faster than they did with Windows 7.  That is not to say Windows 7 does not have any issues.  It does.  They are just smaller and less intrusive right now.

Anyway, I am still collating and monitoring it.

Boot time comparisons are hard to nail down unless you have the same hardware.  I am still digging for data on this.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 03:58:19 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2016, 04:25:18 PM »
To me, it seems Windows boot times are always horrendous, regardless of what Windows you have or what you have installed, as are Windows shut-down times.  It just goes from horrendous (when things are the best they can be) to more horrendous (if not).

So, I went to having hybrid sleep enabled on my machine and not turning it off.  It takes about the same power usage while it is hybrid sleeping as when the machine is turned off.

Now, I tap the shift key or wiggle my mouse, and I'm back up and running in seconds.

(Another thing I hate about Windows is how it is sometimes nearly impossible to tell what program is hogging down your CPU, network, or hard disk -- even when you use tools like procmon and know how to tell which processes are using which crappy svchost instance.  Arg!)

Offline RagingPineapple

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »
     @Brooke: Sounds like you need to discover the amazing powers of the Task Manager! Simply press Lcntrl+Lshift+esc, or access it from your cntrl+alt+del page. It will tell you all the programs that are running on your computer as well as their percentage of CPU usage, memory usage, disk usage, and even network usage. You can even monitor your computers current performance from the performance tab, or control which programs run on startup from the startup tab. It will even tell you the impact the program has on your startup. It's an amazing tool.

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2016, 06:43:28 PM »
I haven't had horrendous boot times since windows 2k. As I mentioned, with fastboot and everything OFF hitting the power button on both the monitor and PC at the same time it will be waiting at the login screen before the monitor even finishes turning on. I am on SSD's, but like pineapple and a few others - I've had no problems with my windows 10. Mine isn't the free upgrade, it's a retail copy from best buy, not sure if there is any difference but like any version of windows turning off toejam you don't need/use makes a drastic difference.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2016, 06:51:00 PM »
     @Brooke: Sounds like you need to discover the amazing powers of the Task Manager!

Try it right now, click on "show processes from all users", now see if you can tell me what programs really are utilizing the services of conhost, svchost, and taskhost.  The problem is that lots of programs can be using those things.  Even when you do a list of which processes are using them, you often won't be able to really tell what is going on.  For example, there are times when taskhost is using up huge cpu and disk access.  Could be Windows checking for updates (and why that sometimes takes huge cpu and disk is beyond me) -- but good luck telling that for sure.  Is it some program checking for updates or installing updates because it is doing that on a schedule?  Good luck trying to determine that in many cases.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: July 18, 2016, 09:33:46 PM »
Or how it suddenly will update and reboot in the middle of your work.  Just have to make sure nothing is running when not at the computer.

[Settings]->[Update & Security]->[Advanced options]

Change "Automatic (recommended)" to "Notify to schedule restart"

Microsoft reserves the right to change or override this behavior as Microsoft requires.

You can also get insider preview builds here, as I do on one system.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #145 on: July 18, 2016, 10:39:37 PM »
     @Brooke: Sounds like you need to discover the amazing powers of the Task Manager! Simply press Lcntrl+Lshift+esc, or access it from your cntrl+alt+del page. It will tell you all the programs that are running on your computer as well as their percentage of CPU usage, memory usage, disk usage, and even network usage. You can even monitor your computers current performance from the performance tab, or control which programs run on startup from the startup tab. It will even tell you the impact the program has on your startup. It's an amazing tool.

:rofl

In 10-11 months on my laptop and almost 8 months on my desktop I've never had this happen and I don't have prompt before updating set.  Both machines wait patiently until I go to shut down before installing updates.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2016, 10:57:20 PM »
In 10-11 months on my laptop and almost 8 months on my desktop I've never had this happen and I don't have prompt before updating set.  Both machines wait patiently until I go to shut down before installing updates.

Same here. It's well known that leaving a machine running all the time will cause it to suddenly shut down when updates are ready. Shutting it down every night (once a week at the latest) is the best way to prevent this from interfering.

My media PC (which sometimes runs for weeks depending on what I have it doing) will restart when updates are ready. Luckily for what I use it for I don't need to be signed in.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #147 on: July 19, 2016, 02:37:28 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 10:32:55 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: July 19, 2016, 04:05:32 AM »
You fellas can't see the forest for the trees. If you have a large upload, and I'm talking 14-16 hours, while Windows downloads an update then Windows WILL reboot while ignoring that upload. That is, unless you have that switch set that I mentioned. Even then Microsoft may decide at their leisure that your system must be rebooted and force it to happen.

Not a big deal, though. Right? Wrong. This is just one example. You might be doing any number of things when this happens. You don't use your system like that, other users do. Those users need to know what can happen.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #149 on: July 19, 2016, 04:05:52 AM »
I've heard a lot people saying they hate this telemetry thing and all I have to wonder is what kind of illegal things they have saved on their computer that they don't want anyone to know about.  :bolt:

As long as you never get in a lawsuit (frivolous or otherwise), never oppose anyone in a position of power, never run for public office, and never disagree with any organization or agency, you have nothing to worry about.  But if you ever do go through a lawsuit, it will open a whole new view regarding access to e-mail, records, surfing, etc.

Also, here's a book recommendation.

Three Felonies A Day
by Harvey Silverglate, Alan M. Dershowitz

"The average professional in this country wakes up in the morning, goes to work, comes home, eats dinner, and then goes to sleep, unaware that he or she has likely committed several federal crimes that day. Why? The answer lies in the very nature of modern federal criminal laws, which have exploded in number but also become impossibly broad and vague. In Three Felonies a Day, Harvey A. Silverglate reveals how federal criminal laws have become dangerously disconnected from the English common law tradition and how prosecutors can pin arguable federal crimes on any one of us, for even the most seemingly innocuous behavior."