Author Topic: Suggestions regarding next Scenario (October, 2016)  (Read 19856 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Suggestions regarding next Scenario (October, 2016)
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2016, 03:57:34 AM »
I'm a bit concerned about the expected turnout and the available objectives. 

Are you thinking we will get less than 150 for registration?  I was hoping we'd get 2x Dnieper based on TFT being about double the average attendance for the three scenarios before it.  I've got some thoughts on maybe how to check registration then adjust the numbers in the design, but I have to think about it more before I articulate.

I have a concern with the objectives, distance and timing of the segments.

Yeah, that's a good point.  I was previously thinking it would average out with short missions and long ones allowing 3 per phase (and that Allies wouldn't use Constantine much at all), but now I'm thinking the bombing requirement should be 2 per phase instead of 3, just to be safer.  What do you think?

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2016, 04:01:13 AM »
Folks, in TFT, when you had a time period of less-than-full participation, did people get reassigned from lesser-capable aircraft to more-capable aircraft, or did they stay with what they registered for?

Offline FBDragon

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #137 on: July 30, 2016, 04:54:37 AM »
Ok, dumb question. When is registration gonna open up for it? I am SO impatient lol :x :x :x :old: :old: :old: :cheers: :devil :salute :salute :salute
Kommando Nowotny
XO
To Win The Winter Sky
Gl 1/Jg 11

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2016, 06:47:04 AM »
Folks, in TFT, when you had a time period of less-than-full participation, did people get reassigned from lesser-capable aircraft to more-capable aircraft, or did they stay with what they registered for?

Brooke,

I don't recall anyone from my group, 355th FG, being switch off to another. We stayed together the entire event.
AKWarHwk of the Arabian Knights
Aces High Scenario, FSO, and Combat Challenge Teams
Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: July 30, 2016, 09:35:11 AM »

I don't recall any moving of pilots on the Axis side. If any did, they were probably walk-ons.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #140 on: July 30, 2016, 09:54:48 AM »
Brooke,

My test show that a 500 lbs bomb dropped from a P-40F yielded 9 town objects in a single drop. I believe the P-40 should be introduced into the event as a fighter bomber as it was also used in the campaign in North Africa.

Don't let your ego get too close to your position, so that if your position gets shot down, your ego doesn't go with it. General Colin Powell

Offline KCDitto

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #141 on: July 30, 2016, 09:59:33 AM »

I do not remember that taking place. I did change missions for squadrons, but once assigned to a unit everyone pretty much flew with that group and aircraft. But the axis does not have as many to choose from. Our 110 pilots had it rough, but every hour they upped again and looked for bombers.

I looked over my roster and did not have any players in different aircraft or units...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 10:17:30 AM by KCDitto »
Ditto  "WHITE 11"
"Masters of the Air" Scenario -JG54

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #142 on: July 30, 2016, 10:57:32 AM »
Brooke,

In additional testing with a 500 lbs. bomb. The image below is a P-40E after a single drop that yielded 10 objects. I think the 500 lbs. bomb on a single engine fighter will get work done when flown with precision.

I'd also like to advocate to give P-40 pilots the option the flying either the E or F models. Whereas the E is slower by a few knots and no WEP, it is slightly more maneuverable in a dogfight because of its shorter fuselage. It is the instability of the shorter fuselage that allows the better maneuverability. Small request...

Devil505 has a 57th FG skin for the P-40E. It is nicely done.  :aok

I really would like you to reconsider the allowing the P-40s to carry bombs. Because it is the slowest fighter, the slowest rate of climb of any fighter and the least effective gun package, the fighter bomber roll suits it well and would allow some players that are not great fighter pilots to enjoy the opportunity to dive bomb and dogfight. It is the jack of all trades master at none of the allied aircraft.

Thanks for reconsidering this request as well.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: July 30, 2016, 02:15:45 PM »
The town has a hardness of 4000 lbs per building so that level bombers don't run out of targets.  With that hardness, none of the fighters would do much to town buildings.

For swapping plane types, I'd rather balance things by changing the numbers but keeping the plane types correct if that still allows good balance.  In the case of the P-40's+P-39's, they are balanced off against the number of C.202's.  P-40's aren't as good in some ways as a C.202 (like in ACM), but they are much better than C.202's in shooting down bombers.

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #144 on: July 30, 2016, 02:26:44 PM »
The town has a hardness of 4000 lbs per building so that level bombers don't run out of targets.  With that hardness, none of the fighters would do much to town buildings.

For swapping plane types, I'd rather balance things by changing the numbers but keeping the plane types correct if that still allows good balance.  In the case of the P-40's+P-39's, they are balanced off against the number of C.202's.  P-40's aren't as good in some ways as a C.202 (like in ACM), but they are much better than C.202's in shooting down bombers.

Okay...

4k per object. Wow! Missed that...

Doesn't this mean a single A-20 cannot destroy even one object on a bomb run? That's not right. Two thousand pounds per bomber. If you allow the wing bombs at least they can destroy one object on a pass.

:headscratch:

This one requires more thought...
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 02:34:24 PM by swareiam »

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #145 on: July 30, 2016, 02:32:28 PM »

If that's the case, even the A-20's and 190's will be next to useless. What targets do you envision for them?
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline swareiam

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: July 30, 2016, 02:35:54 PM »
I edited my post to elude to that as well.  :headscratch:

Requires more thought.

It will be hard to recruit guys to fly those planes.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: July 30, 2016, 03:09:20 PM »
If that's the case, even the A-20's and 190's will be next to useless. What targets do you envision for them?

I envision that attack planes will go after bases, and level bombers will go after towns.

An attack plane can destroy 5-10 objects at a base.

A bomber formation can destroy 6-14 objects at a town (depending on the bomber).  Level bombers can attack bases as well, but they won't get as many objects because of the spread-out layout.

Both attack planes and bombers can be effective against ships in phases 1 and 4.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: July 30, 2016, 03:34:32 PM »
I think that bombers and attack planes in this one will be like Dnieper in terms of their impact and that will both be very important to scoring.

Town buildings are 4000 lbs, but not everything else.  Base objects are not that hard.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #149 on: July 30, 2016, 03:53:43 PM »
Ok, that makes sense.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com