Author Topic: Looking forward to AH III and other flight sim stuff!  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
Re: Looking forward to AH III and other flight sim stuff!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 01:23:47 AM »
So how do all these games work, anyway?

Are they Axis v. Allies?
Limited plane set?
Any one have my beloved Hog?
Is there a persistent world to capture bases or what is kind of the point of each sortie (aside from shooting down bad guys)?
How do the view systems work?  Can you use a hat switch easily?  I have a full CH set up but no trackir or vr or any of that stuff.  I play on a laptop and don't have the USB ports for it (or likely power given I have a 980M and I think most vr needs something more than that).

Axis vs. Allies? Yes

Limited plane set?
The newer IL-2 games focus on particular battles rather than the whole war, so yes this limits the plane sets, but it also allows them to go into much greater detail with the flight models and 3D models than what you see in War Thunder or even Aces High. It actually feels like you're flying through air, and your aircraft acts as such... it's not like the vacuum effect in other games. The game is full of little things like contrails swirling from the prop wash, feathered props get pushed by the air when you do an aileron roll, people run from their vehicles when you strafe a convoy... small features but they add a lot to your immersion.

Supposedly DCS:World is working on a late war F4U with an Iwo Jima map, I'm pretty hyped for that!

Mission makers can pretty much do anything they want, base capturing included... but the most common theme you're going to see is objective based. Both teams will have bridges/tanks/factories/ports.. etc on their side of the front lines. You can either defend your territory, attack theirs... whatever you want. Whoever destroys the other sides objectives first wins the battle.

I think the view systems are pretty standard, like any other sim.. the devs know not everyone uses TrackIR.

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 06:23:17 AM »
Agreed on all points.  I'd only add that the plane sets are not quite as limiting as you might think.  Each plane in BoD, DCS or CLoD takes time to understand and master due to the additional details of the FM.  This has a real impact on how you fly and fight.  Example: CLoD's FM is more limited than BoS or DCS but the same applies even across minor model variations.  The standard 109E4 in CLoD feels different than the 109E3 which requires manual prop management.  The same can be said for 109E4N, the fastest of the 109s, or the 109E4/B which is my personal favorite and (IMO) the best plane in the game below 3000 meters.  Nothing can out accelerate it and at high speed it is the most nimble of the 109s except perhaps for the 109E1.  The point is learning each takes time.  The same can be said for BoS planes.

Armament and ballistics modeling is also more advanced in BoS and CLoD.  CLoD has the more advanced armament model of the two.  You can set up custom loadouts for each gun and cannon for each variant, and these changes have a very real effect on the damage you inflict on enemy planes.  Some of the best Spit pilots use loadouts of armor piercing rounds that tend to cause more pilot kills, others use a high mix of incendiary  and incendiary tracer rounds which have a higher chance of setting engine, fuel or control surface fires.  This is also true in BoS but to a less complex and flexible extent.

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 06:28:32 AM »
Oh, and if you don't think you can have a fun furball in these games...think again. 

« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 08:29:50 AM by Invictus84 »

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2016, 11:14:34 AM »
They sound neat and I might pick one up, but I'm less interested in BoB or early Russian Front than the Pacific and the 8th AF offensive over Germany. Sounds like they don't really offer that?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2016, 11:43:48 AM »
Nope.  Rumor has it that 777 Studios might be working on a BoS follow-up for the Pacific, but I don't think that is confirmed.

The Team Fusion 5.0 patch is rumored intoduce British F4F Wildcats (Marlets) for the new North African theater.  It isn't a F4U, but it is a start if you like American Blue Navy rides.  Of course you will also be flying it against the new bf109F4s.  Not exactly a fair fight.   :D

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2016, 11:57:53 AM »

The Team Fusion 5.0 patch is rumored intoduce British F4F Wildcats (Marlets) for the new North African theater.  It isn't a F4U, but it is a start if you like American Blue Navy rides.  Of course you will also be flying it against the new bf109F4s.  Not exactly a fair fight.   :D

I fly everything as though I'm flying a Spitfire. It keeps life simple =) An F4f will do just fine!
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2016, 12:11:22 PM »
There's a P40 in Battle of Moscow (add on to BoS) though it's a pain in the arse to fly, the engine is literally made of glass and will break if you don't nurture it like a baby lol

Somebody will make a Pacific sim sometime in the future I'm sure.. It'd be a beautiful game and would probably attract people just for the scenery & carrier ops.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:15:36 PM by Krupinski »

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2016, 02:40:41 PM »
There's a P40 in Battle of Moscow (add on to BoS) though it's a pain in the arse to fly, the engine is literally made of glass and will break if you don't nurture it like a baby lol

Somebody will make a Pacific sim sometime in the future I'm sure.. It'd be a beautiful game and would probably attract people just for the scenery & carrier ops.

It's my understanding the P-40's Allison engine was known for being rugged.  Wonder why they modeled it as fragile?

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2016, 03:37:17 PM »
It's my understanding the P-40's Allison engine was known for being rugged.  Wonder why they modeled it as fragile?

*cough* Russian Bias *cough cough*

:)

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2016, 04:53:31 PM »
It has manual RPM control so it's easy to push it passed safe operating limits... Also in a dive the governor doesn't always keep up so if you don't throttle/rpm back quick enough your engine goes pop! Is it too fragile? Probably so... but it's not impossible to fly.

Also their data on the P40 is probably from Russian testing of it during WW2, not the U.S. testing.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 04:56:29 PM by Krupinski »

Offline MrRee

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2016, 06:31:28 PM »
Inv & Krup I spit in your general direction.   ::pootooheeyy::   :t
When you can't stand up to your wife, you have to come here to complain.

Offline Invictus84

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2016, 07:19:42 PM »
  :confused:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2016, 08:21:16 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 06:36:36 AM by Skuzzy »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 06:36:52 AM by Skuzzy »
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2016, 09:33:11 PM »
Oh, and if you don't think you can have a fun furball in these games...think again. 

So I watched that, and I thought:  What's so special about this?

Am I missing something?

- oldman