Author Topic: Bombing Strats have become a waste of time...  (Read 12564 times)

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
Bombing Strats have become a waste of time...
« on: October 26, 2016, 07:18:04 PM »
Hi All,

As an avid bomber (predominantly 80% or better of my time) I have tried to give the new AH3 a chance. It has a lot of great graphics and eye candy now - a much welcome improvement. Some of the game play has been improved, but a few key things have not for bomber pilots. In fact, it has taken away from our gameplay.

Bombing strats were effective before for all countries. Now, with a resup time of 30 minutes per drop box it is almost worthless to spend 1 - 2 hours on a long strat run or creating massive bomber missions to do this. By the time you bomb and get back I've seen the strats back up fully. This is ridiculous.

Yes, we can still bomb them...yes, we can bomb other targets...but with the way the game is now setup what is the point of even having strats any longer? Especially with spawn points almost right next to the strats.

I would really appreciate if the resups could at least be changed to a happy medium. Before it was 4 mins. Possibly a 10 min resup...maybe even 15 mins...but 30 is just too much.

I appreciate the improvements but you've taken a significant feature of the game away from our bomber pilots in doing so.

Cheers,
Elec1

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Bombing Strats have become a waste of time...
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 07:41:38 PM »
One player shouldn't be able to control so much of the game. By having one player blasting strats he can cripple a whole team. Adjustments were made and now it takes more than a single player. Bring a number of boxes, bomb more targets causing the "enemy" to run more supply runs.

It still works, you just cant do it by your self any more.

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 08:14:31 PM »
How sad for you.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 08:16:28 PM »
I look at it as a chance for more runs, more targets, more combat, more missions. If you can wipe the strats out in one hit then you've just bombed yourself out of a job.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 08:26:23 PM by Beefcake »
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline LocoMoto

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 11:19:28 PM »
One player shouldn't be able to control so much of the game. By having one player blasting strats he can cripple a whole team. Adjustments were made and now it takes more than a single player. Bring a number of boxes, bomb more targets causing the "enemy" to run more supply runs.

It still works, you just cant do it by your self any more.
Low numbers and the steady decline of strategic gameplay community wide lead to the one-man band gameplay for buff players. I noticed a significant difference in buff play myself but its the direction the Dev's want to take the game. I think the new style of splash damage for bombs takes on a more historical form when you think about it. AH2 allowed for a good player to drop lazer guided bombs on a target. AH3 building layouts seem more realistic and the splash doesn't seem as precise.

I like the move on the Dev's part. Buffs were OP period and have been De-buffed :x

So yes for lonewolf buff players out there the risk/reward isn't what it used to be. Certainly requires other players to team up to make a significant impact. One can only hope the game snags a few new sticks that might fulfill that role and others ;)

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 11:37:18 PM »
I don't have as much of a problem with the damage model itself. What pisses me off is spending 1 - 2 hours doing a strat run and then countries resup back to full before I can even get back to my base. Resupping a base in minutes with 3 or 4 players is NOT for the betterment of the game. It's complete nonsense. If your going to have that then get rid of the strats altogether.

For those who say it's more realistic now...ya didn't see people in WWII rebuilding an entire start base in 15 mins.

Seriously...I'm just saying adjust the resup time. Don't have it set at 30 minutes.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 01:25:21 AM »
I will join in on bomber runs to starts if required it's relaxing and the sounds are awesome
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Marco

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 06:15:44 AM »
I can't count the number of times I've had stop what I was doing to resupply strats, just like others. This in return takes away from our defense to have a few pilots running around to get our strats back to normal. I have not seen an issue in this category, however, if an adjustment is made, I will adjust with it.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 08:52:16 AM »
(snark deleted)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:16:04 AM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 09:16:48 AM »
-1 leave them as is! We had one of you strat bomber types take down our AAA from 100 to 22 percent down for 176 min only 8 min over strat.. It was very satisfying for me and one other to resup back to 100 before the bomber pilot could land . it's a no brainer win win for everyone.. You still get to see your name in lights with all that damage and get your perks and those who resup help make sure only one set of Lancs doesn't impact our side as much
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:27:43 AM by scott66 »
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 09:45:58 AM »
I don't have as much of a problem with the damage model itself.

What new damage model?

HiTech

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 10:23:35 AM »
What new damage model?

HiTech

Meaning as in the City damage model (many more buildings / harder to take down in a single run).

I do like the fact that the layouts have changed / are spread out more with some of the strats making it more difficult to take a target down in a single run. That was a smart / more challenging improvement and also helped with a single pilot being able to destroy a target easily. However the swing to favor fixing the problem was too much to the other side with the resup time at 30 mins.

I would prefer to see the targets more spaced out making it harder for a single pilot to down a strat (having to take multiple buffs / runs) and leave the resup time down. I think this would be a more fair compromise.

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 10:27:20 AM »
Seriously...I'm just saying adjust the resup time. Don't have it set at 30 minutes.

For team players there is not any real difference with one player doing a 30min resup run or 3 players doing a 10min resup run.  If you want frustration, get into a GV take the town guns down and shell buildings to white flag and all the timers show down for 30-60 minutes. Then watch 3 m3s pile in and do 10min resups and get your tank shot in the asz by a gun you killed 30 seconds ago.  Teamwork is awesome.
Ground Pounders ...

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2016, 10:29:23 AM »
-1 leave them as is! We had one of you strat bomber types take down our AAA from 100 to 22 percent down for 176 min only 8 min over strat.. It was very satisfying for me and one other to resup back to 100 before the bomber pilot could land . it's a no brainer win win for everyone.. You still get to see your name in lights with all that damage and get your perks and those who resup help make sure only one set of Lancs doesn't impact our side as much

Right - so take it down 176 minutes...and how fast did you resup that back to 100%? About the same amount of time it took the bomber pilots to drop the strat.

It's not about the points - it's about the strategic effects of using the strat to a countries benefit. It should not be easy for a single pilot to drop a strat and inflict that kind of damage - agreed. As I mentioned to HiTech a moment ago, I would be more in favor of spreading out the strat making it less effective for a single bomber pilot run and force multiple runs, or multiple bombers to inflict that kind of damage.

With the maps and a VH base (i.e. - on the buzzsaw map) right next to a strat you can resup it very quickly making it not worth the effort. Other maps are like this as well...especially with stats buried deep in enemy territory. Having a bomber pilot plan a mission / travel that time / distance only to have no effect within minutes makes no sense.

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 11:31:02 AM »
Perceived Problem: My time spent attacking strats is not equal to the time spent "resupplying" strats.

Root Problem: One person attacking strats.

As far as I can tell, what is in place is the best balance of not allowing a single AFK person to affect an entire country. Let's be honest here, are you actually in front of your computer for the entire duration of climbout, attack, egress? If you are in front of your computer checking your six, gauges, clipboard map, etc. then well, dam. good for you.

But to say that your time investment is somehow diminished by a game mechanic isn't really fair.  I get it man, it's a long haul to the strats for what you believe to be a significant impact than can be mitigated quickly. The solution is to not attack the strats alone, period.  :bhead

If you're going it alone, you're correct, the time involved for the attack and the resulting damage the attack can do is not equal to the time it requires for the defenders to negate the damage you've done.

56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life