Author Topic: Bombing Strats have become a waste of time...  (Read 12566 times)

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
Re: Bombing Strats have become a waste of time...
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 11:35:34 AM »
Right - so take it down 176 minutes...and how fast did you resup that back to 100%? About the same amount of time it took the bomber pilots to drop the strat.

It's not about the points - it's about the strategic effects of using the strat to a countries benefit. It should not be easy for a single pilot to drop a strat and inflict that kind of damage - agreed.
 Having a bomber pilot plan a mission / travel that time / distance only to have no effect within minutes makes no sense.

From a strategic standpoint and a tactical one...   

If you are taking the time to hit strats and "planning" as you mentioned.  Then surely you are working with groups trying to take bases.  Otherwise, what is the point of bombing the strats at all?  As long as you are working with base takers, it doesn't matter if they get the strats up by the time you land.  What matters is during that down time, your allies took advantage of down time to attack a base and get guns and buildings down while the strat was down.

Another way to look at it is other people also like to bomb strats.  I know if I see someone hitting strats and it appears the strats may come up before base taking operations are done on a particular side, I may back that bomber up by hitting the strats again.  If you hit all the strats and they are down for 3 hours each, the other guys and gals that like to do the same thing have nothing to bomb for 2 to 3 hours. 

I think it is now more involved and the strategy of the bombers and the base takers have to coordinate their tactics a little better to maintain down times.  I like it now however, I would agree that resupply times should be 10 minutes per resup and the down times remain the same as they once were.  As long as we don't have to invest 15  plus players to resup something at 4 minutes a pop. 

IMHO
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2016, 12:05:10 PM »
Right - so take it down 176 minutes...and how fast did you resup that back to 100%? About the same amount of time it took the bomber pilots to drop the strat.

It's not about the points - it's about the strategic effects of using the strat to a countries benefit. It should not be easy for a single pilot to drop a strat and inflict that kind of damage - agreed. As I mentioned to HiTech a moment ago, I would be more in favor of spreading out the strat making it less effective for a single bomber pilot run and force multiple runs, or multiple bombers to inflict that kind of damage.

With the maps and a VH base (i.e. - on the buzzsaw map) right next to a strat you can resup it very quickly making it not worth the effort. Other maps are like this as well...especially with stats buried deep in enemy territory. Having a bomber pilot plan a mission / travel that time / distance only to have no effect within minutes makes no sense.
with two of us it took about 25 min of resup to bring it back up took bomber pilot about 35 min to land them but sometimes if I see a bomber heading to our strat I'll be waiting in my m3 or on the way in c47 before the bombs even dropped so I can resup immediately.. There has been more people willing to resup than in the past..a few of us dedicated most of our log time to undue what bombers have done.. strats, towns, guns,ords it's getting rwsupped
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2016, 12:48:50 PM »
Player based resupply is silly to me all around.

Now rather than defend a target, just start hauling supplies in.

If thats not your thing,  sit in a gun.

Two great alternatives to avoid combat,  observed reapeatedly, every time i log in.

The same combat that was common in the days of 600-800 players online looking for the aspect of the game that got them hooked

« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 12:55:39 PM by Lazerr »

Offline Electroman

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2016, 12:55:36 PM »
Perceived Problem: My time spent attacking strats is not equal to the time spent "resupplying" strats.

Root Problem: One person attacking strats.

As far as I can tell, what is in place is the best balance of not allowing a single AFK person to affect an entire country. Let's be honest here, are you actually in front of your computer for the entire duration of climbout, attack, egress? If you are in front of your computer checking your six, gauges, clipboard map, etc. then well, dam. good for you.

But to say that your time investment is somehow diminished by a game mechanic isn't really fair.  I get it man, it's a long haul to the strats for what you believe to be a significant impact than can be mitigated quickly. The solution is to not attack the strats alone, period.  :bhead

If you're going it alone, you're correct, the time involved for the attack and the resulting damage the attack can do is not equal to the time it requires for the defenders to negate the damage you've done.

I think you have the "Perceived" and "Root" problems confused.

Perceived problem - yes, part of it is time (and yes, I am in front of the computer for almost the whole time when doing this).

Root problem is the damage on a single run / resup time on strats. Let's say its the same thing but on a shorter haul flight. Let's say 2 sectors. The problem is still the same - I can get to the strat quicker and take it down - great so I don't spend as much time in the air. The problem is still the same - the strat can be hit significantly on a single run, can be resupped in no time. Therefore really making hitting a strat useless (except for the vey short window of opportunity while it has been hit before a bunch of GV's resup it in 1-2 loads).

Again - why bother hitting a strat then...or hitting a strat? It serves no purpose to the game the way it is now configured.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2016, 01:00:04 PM »

Again - why bother hitting a strat then...or hitting a strat? It serves no purpose to the game the way it is now configured.

And why would anyone bother defending it when there is an option to drop a box of E
supplies.. much faster and efficient then climbing up and risking a cartoon death.

:eek:

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2016, 01:32:25 PM »
Bombing Strats have become a waste of time...  GOOD-if a strat go's down for 176 minutes- it takes approxately 44 trips for a single m3 or c47 to resupply a single strat that is down for that long. I'd rather be fightin and dyin in battle than resupp strats.

I was gone for 7 months-when I finally came back the first thing I noticed was all the strat attacking that was going on. wasen't going on like that when I left.
a 30 min resupp time is great.

I love the Buzzsaw map-bombers have easier time bombing them--m3's have easier time resupping them..plus there a lot of gv battles going on as well as air combat--it's an all aroung good battle map-you don't have to drive forever or fly forever to find a fight.

don't know anything about a damage model except when I drop one on the floor and it busts all to pieces and I have to rebuild it.

plus we just have 4 maps right now-there are at least 8 or 9 more maps to be released. I'm sure you'll like bombing those strats.

to me 30 minute resupp time is fine--plus you only get 3.75 perks per drop. which is also fine.but depends also on how many buildings now..

I also spend less time in bombers more time in fighters and gv's you'll have more fun-good-day :airplane:
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 02:40:32 PM »
Bombing Strats have become a waste of time...  GOOD-if a strat go's down for 176 minutes- it takes approxately 44 trips for a single m3 or c47 to resupply a single strat that is down for that long. I'd rather be fightin and dyin in battle than resupp strats.

:aok  I approve of this message
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 02:43:34 PM »
The reason it takes buffs so long is they're climbing to over 30k. Maybe if buff pilots didn't try and fly in the dweebosphere or bomb and bail there might be some sympathy.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 02:51:55 PM »
Player based resupply is silly to me all around.

Now rather than defend a target, just start hauling supplies in.

If thats not your thing,  sit in a gun.

Two great alternatives to avoid combat,  observed reapeatedly, every time i log in.

The same combat that was common in the days of 600-800 players online looking for the aspect of the game that got them hooked
now you know I love a good dogfight Lazer but my resup missions are more of a message to the strat bombers.. I'm never afraid of cartoon death and will jump in my fighter and fight as soon as I'm done and if vh is down I'll at a vbase I'll jump in a manned gun as well
"scott66"        

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2016, 03:07:06 PM »
Don't climb to 30,000. After you drop bombs bail if no enemy in the area. You will save a lot of time.

If enemy in the area have some fun and fight.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2016, 03:07:35 PM »
Some players only care about the fight if they lose the base they are upping from.. No biggy they just up from another but it you care at all about defending or taking bases as Well as dogfighting or gvs then strats become a huge factor for that kind of player such as myself I personally don't view resup as a waste of time nor do I see it as avoiding combat for fear of death it's just a part of the big picture for me... I'm the type of player that enjoys all aspects of the game
"scott66"        

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
Bombing Strats have become a waste of time...
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2016, 03:20:41 PM »
The reason it takes buffs so long is they're climbing to over 30k. Maybe if buff pilots didn't try and fly in the dweebosphere or bomb and bail there might be some sympathy.

I rarely take my buffs over 10k. If on a long run I may approach 15-20 but not often. I enjoy fighters playing with my bombers. Very satisfying to have several chase you and vaporize all of them. I even slow down for single fighters chasing me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2016, 03:22:38 PM »
There are other ways a bomber pilot can have fun.  Sometimes I just drop my ordnance on the runway at take off.  Then I proceed to situations where the enemy sees a big plump formation of B-17s.  Maybe to an enemy strat.  Then comes the fun of being killed or sending the attacker to the promised land.  The more enemy engagements, the better you become at defeating them.  You don't always need to drop ordnance on a target to have fun in a bomber.  Although, dropping a couple of salvos on a runway and nailing some enemy landing or taking off is very rewarding.   

:D   1i
"One-Eye"

Offline FishBait

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2016, 03:27:07 PM »
I stopped playing, primarily due to players like you, OP, who take an excellent combat sim and try to turn it into the WWII version of chutes & ladders. But I do check into the forums every now & then to check out the whines.

Your whine has, by far, been one of my favorites.

Here's hoping your angst gets the better of you. Your style of play is poison.

Cheers.

P.S. What up guys! Good to see a few familiar faces :)
-== Hell Hounds ==- Official Pooper Scooper

I've got 99 problems, but a HO aint one.

Offline LocoMoto

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2016, 04:32:53 PM »
What new damage model?

HiTech
graphics wise it appears different  :x we are back in school HiTech