Author Topic: FSO Recruitment  (Read 4788 times)

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
Re: FSO Recruitment
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2016, 12:34:17 PM »
Quite frankly, Alpini.  We all have real world things going on.

But I hear you on your advice and I agree.  I do want to point out to all of you that are reading this that we are looking for more people to help in the training arena.  It is easy to say what needs to be done, but we need people to step up and help to expand and help get the newbs trained. 

I offer that anyone interested in helping train or even run events in game, to please email HiTech and find out what you can do to help and what will be offered to you in return. 

Everyone has great ideas.  It is easy to offer ideas.  But to act on them, deserves my utmost respect.

:rock
SlipKnoT
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2016, 06:21:38 PM »

JG54 will take in, help teach and train, anyone interested in flying FSO. No commitment necessary, just a want to learn and to have fun.

Nothing frightens a enemy more then knowing there's a "Grunherz" coming at them! 

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2016, 01:29:10 PM »
With all of the new games out there that offer an entry level training tutorial, I've often wondered why AH doesn't.

Join the game, entry level plane, learn how to take off and land.  Fly through hoops.  Shoot a huge big blimp.  Learn to roll left and evade a drone behind you.  Roll right to do the same.  Loop.  Follow the leader.  Be taken through a series of basic ACM drills, hear a speech about how to integrate into the community.  Graduate to the Main Arena.

+1 :aok

There are good resources out there created by the community, certainly.  With no disrespect to those that created them, the point is that the game creator (the trusted source) needs to pay attention to the impressions it makes (or doesn't make) to the new player or visitor.

1.  We are the existing customer base.  We all got here through faith in the product, perseverance and MANY ***whippings .  Some of us are occasionally very smug about that in our dealings with new players.

2.  When I try out a new game nowadays, I am looking for an investment to the customer FROM THE MAKER.  Not from the community, who might be full of cheaters and ***hats.  Hey, I'm a newb in this instance and I don't trust every veteran as a matter of policy.  Any sensible newb operates the same way, I think.

3.  If Hitechcreations is serious about the 'customer-to-be' then ROC has described a very safe entry point for them.  If the owners' business model is about addressing the issue of turnover, then the customer-to-be needs to be woo'ed and educated on a level playing field.  Turnover is a fact and you just can't survive if you lose more than you take in.

As members of squadrons we have to accept that we've forgotten our own terrors and frustrations of the first year.  More, we have to continue to do the right thing by the newbs that show up.  Not haze them. 

The bottom line - the first responsibility to new members belongs squarely to Hitech. First contact, if you will.  The customer-to-be nowadays is experiential - younger - and is eager to consume new peripheral technologies, like VR. 

I know how much work has been put in to modernize our game, but the lack of a welcoming and educational first experience is a huge miss.  I would encourage the next round of Hitech effort be directed there in the coming months.  Just a little bit at a time would do the trick.  Not an all hands effort like AH3.

All great points and ideas, Roc.

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Joker312

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2017, 07:34:58 PM »
...how wonderful for you.

Very helpful Squire. Not really in the best interest of the topic even if you may think its cute.

The suggestion that I think might work the best is an easy mode arena where new players can workup to speed for the MA and Events.
I seem to remember AirWarrior having a Half time (slower speed) arena where guys could build up to Realtime. That seemed to help with the learning curve. I realize also that some never did move up and spent all their time in HT but that's ok also as they still pay the bills to keep the game alive.

We are mostly an old playerbase I believe. The challenge is getting the youth in here and away from the likes of World of Warplanes and DCS. (I am not sure if that's the correct name of the 1st game, forgive me)
Joker
80th FS "Headhunters"
FSO Squad 412th FNVG

Offline Valkyrie

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2017, 12:08:38 AM »
Bring back Big Week and the Oil Offensive. Make this what FSO used to be. Drive up interest and then move back in Russian Front events. And make the PTO set ups competitive, the ki-43 while being accurate isn't any fun to fly.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2017, 09:55:13 AM »
Two week push for the next event.  Posting in General and on Facebook.  Recruit em.  More fun for all of us!!!
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2017, 02:51:06 PM »
if fate let's me make a comeback the attendance numbers in FSO will increase
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline RedBeard

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2017, 02:03:20 PM »
Hmm, well I guess great minds think alike.  I haven't been reading the forums much but after the last FSO, I decided to catch up and found this thread.  I have started a YouTube series playlist called Friday Squad Ops (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjVyIVtMu2ebWYNHmG6INBQahva-9laxp) that I've been using to post videos to.  Perhaps it will drum up some interest in participation.

Red Beard

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2017, 03:23:49 PM »
If you want to get more bodies into FSO you might consider making it really easy for an interested player unaffiliated with a squad to get in, even if for just one frame. I realize that this is in some sense counter to the spirit of FSO and I understand the "no walkons" rationale but on the other hand I am guessing that there are plenty of players who are qualified in the sense of understanding what no kill shooter means and understanding that it is not the MA or DA, who would be happy to follow orders but don't want to join a squad and commit to a Friday night 2 weeks in the future. If you had a place for a pickup squad that could balance sides if necessary and whose mission was not the tastiest you could have a non walkon CO with ejection powers if a players has a hard time following orders to lead it. You could have a preregistration if you wanted where players could sign up ahead of time sort of pre-qualifying to be able to walk on and make it a requirement to commit 24 hours ahead of time. Just a thought.

Pies not kicks.

Offline RedBeard

• Copper Member
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2017, 04:39:08 PM »
I understand what you're saying, but it gets really hard for the CMs to balance sides if there are large numbers of random individuals joining at the "last minute" and affecting the squadron commitments.

Personally, I'd rather see other things drive an increase in the player base and increase in squad membership / numbers of squads and let that influence how many show up for FSO.  That would kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

Red Beard

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2017, 06:28:44 PM »
I have walk-on guys that I'm always glad to see in the MA on a Friday night...

But with the "number restrictions" I have been warned about bringing too many...not like I brought 15 guys to a 4-6 commitment but I had like 10 one week...I don't think I've brought that many since...and I promise you I wouldn't turn anyone away that has flown FSO with us before just for the sake of making a number...

You can't see in advance how many numbers you will have on any given Friday night...maybe we need to rethink how planes are distributed in relation to numbers that show up...I don't know...

Carry on.... :bolt:
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde