Author Topic: Penalty For Bomb And Bail  (Read 6675 times)

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
Re: Penalty For Bomb And Bail
« Reply #120 on: August 22, 2017, 07:10:12 PM »
If you want to make sure buff drivers don't bomb and bail give us a real incentive to spend 10-20 minutes flying home.  Frankly, perkies don't matter - I have more bomber perkies than I could possibly ever use. 

I don't bomb and bail because the defenders are trying to kill me AFTER I have already dropped my bombs.  If I bail, it is because I have something better to do with the game time than drive the buffs home for some worthless perkies or to get my name in lights.  If I am bombing a target I have a purpose in mind, and usually the purpose is better served by my getting the next box of bombers up and on their way to target - especially because downtimes are quite short on the things I am trying to bomb flat / keep down.   If my purpose in bombing your base is to keep your VH down, I have to put a box of bombers over that target every 15 minutes - I simply do not have the time to fly home as I have 10 minutes of climb out, and 5 minutes of bomb run to do to keep that target down.  Otherwise all the good work our side is doing is simply erased by a wave of resupply. 
Strat targets are a different story (sometimes) - in that scenario I am attempting to fly a more "historical" mission so I can afford the luxury of seeing if I can get the buffs home after the raid. 

If you want buff kills, come get me as I am on my way TO the target.  I'm more than happy to gun it out with you then. 

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #121 on: August 23, 2017, 03:11:38 PM »
Yep.  In all honesty, there is no real incentive to fly back to base after dropping ords.  You get a few more perks, yes, but bailing and reupping a fresh set after dropping cuts down on the time requirement by a LOT.  Overall, you'll make more perks doing that than taking out and bringing back every time.  I believe Snail did a chart about this. :headscratch:

One change:  You could charge a perk price to take a bomber and/or set of bombers, and completely refund that price should they bring at least one home.  If you don't make it for any reason, you lose the perks.  If you are intercepted and you manage to shoot down a one or two fighters after your run, but are shot down yourself, that alone should net you a gain in perks.  Of course this means you would need to shoot down more fighters if you are to have a perk gain, but didn't make it to target before being brought down.  You didn't drop ords on target after all. :)  This could also mean that bombers will start flying around in groups more, since a lone set is easy pickings against several interceptors.

FYI: I didn't bail after bombing (still won't).  I've always tried to get my bombers home, but I do see the reason behind why it is done.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: August 23, 2017, 04:43:08 PM »
I never get my bombers home. I don't have the patience to climb out and learn level bombing from the scope. So when I get a hairy feather up my kester and PO'd about destroying a port or a town I want down. I drive a box of lancs with 1000lbers in them at 5k to the target and dive carpet it. Then fly around shooting at fighters while crashing and burning. Then rinse and repeat until I wipe out the target or get bored handing out free kills. The best one was when I HO'd a 262 with my nose turret and got a magic BB into his cockpit.

I'm glad I only do this a few times a year.... :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2017, 02:41:14 PM »
Heard some new/returning players complaining on vox about some guys bombing and bailing today...   WBs gave Icon Range proxies.   Seems fair to me. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2017, 11:59:34 PM »
Several folks have alluded to the reason for having this topic, (and at least one called it out in clear text) but let me ask in simple English ...

WHY do you care if someone "bombs and bails"?

-  Betting the answer is very simple ... you want 3 easy kills, and get miffed when you don't get them. 

-  If the answer is ANYTHING else, then simply don't go after the buffs and find a fighter to tangle with instead.

- BTW (other than giggling because he shot down your fighter) the buff driver has ZERO incentive to want to drive around waiting for you to catch up to him...he gets NO Points for shooting you down.  SO, if you want the buff drivers to lessen the 'Bomb and Bail' phenomenon, why not petition HiTech to give Kill credit to the Buffs?

Try using a carrot rather than an orange stick!

- Rodent57
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2017, 02:32:58 AM »
WHY do you care if someone "bombs and bails"?

-  Betting the answer is very simple ... you want 3 easy kills, and get miffed when you don't get them.   This answer is as simple as it is wrong.

[...]he gets NO Points for shooting you down.   [...] SO, if you want the buff drivers to lessen the 'Bomb and Bail' phenomenon, why not petition HiTech to give Kill credit to the Buffs?
I get perk points, kills stats and my name in lights when I shoot a fighter down. Landing your kills in a bomber get's you much more acclaim than an abstract damage number.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2017, 04:43:26 AM »
Lusche my old adversary and friend, 

I'm not buying it. 

There is absolutely NO reason to care if someone bombs and bails ... none.

Landing kills in a Buff is just as rewarding as landing kills in a Manned Ack ...

<S>

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2017, 05:12:50 AM »
There is absolutely NO reason to care if someone bombs and bails ... none.

It's a combat game. Hunting bombers is as part of the game as is bombing objects. The fighter lifts and triest to chase down the bomber, which can take considerable time. And when the enmy bails once (and because of) the fighter poses a threat, that's basically giving him the finger.  For the fighter it IS frustrating, and that's a very different kind of frustration than being shot down by the bomber. Especially during non peak time, were often the only enemy showing up ARE bombers and GV. A good intercept on that sole high alt bomber can easily take all of your available game time for that session.

Imagine it would be the same in fighter combat, players bailing just to **** you off before you actually engage. (Just happens less because of the different impact of the proxy range).

Landing kills in a Buff is just as rewarding as landing kills in a Manned Ack ...

You could say the very same for landed fighter kills.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman