Author Topic: TrackIR vs Oculus Rift  (Read 4285 times)

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
TrackIR vs Oculus Rift
« on: August 15, 2017, 11:30:37 AM »
I've been using TrackIR for a little while now and it has TOTALLY changed my game both in skill and fun level.  It's immersive, increases situational awareness ten fold and I couldn't imagine playing without it.

But how much better is the oculus rift over the Track IR?  Is it worth it?

What I like about the track IR is I can turn off motion when in gv's or gunners positions.  I also can use the keyboard which I would imagine to be difficult with the rift.

Thanks!
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: TrackIR vs Oculus Rift
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 12:40:04 PM »
The Rift does what TrackIR does but it does it better, albeit without customizable response curves. It also puts you inside the cockpit and inside the arena as opposed to looking at the cockpit and arena on your monitor.

It was worth it when it cost twice as much. It's also awesome for driving sims.

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 01:26:24 PM »
I have a 1060 3g card, I7-6700 and 16GB of RAM.  Will I have any issues running the rift?

How many USB slots does it need?
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 01:39:37 PM »
Do you have Win10? If you do you can use a lower frame rate card like the 1060. I think you'd be happier with a 1080.

I tried a 1070 and it was OK but I went to a 1080Ti for best performance.

If you get two sensors you'll want 3 USB 3.1 ports. You need at least one USB 3.1 port for best headset performance.

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 01:47:40 PM »
Do you have Win10? If you do you can use a lower frame rate card like the 1060. I think you'd be happier with a 1080.

I tried a 1070 and it was OK but I went to a 1080Ti for best performance.

If you get two sensors you'll want 3 USB 3.1 ports. You need at least one USB 3.1 port for best headset performance.

I do have Win 10.  If there is any question about my 1060 handling it I will just pass, i'm not looking to spend $800-1000 for the rift and a new card.
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 01:52:38 PM »
that's within the specs for the Rift. You can check it out here and also download a compatibility test from the oculus support site here:

https://support.oculus.com/170128916778795

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 02:25:36 PM »
Most NVidia cards overclock well, so that should boost the performance.As a matter of fact, most new card manufacturers include or have on their site an overclocking application.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 03:33:11 PM »
It all sounds like a pain in the butt.

Where is the rift in its current life cycle?  How old is the technology and is there something newer and better on the near horizon?
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 03:37:44 PM »
The Rift does what TrackIR does but it does it better, albeit without customizable response curves. It also puts you inside the cockpit and inside the arena as opposed to looking at the cockpit and arena on your monitor.

It was worth it when it cost twice as much. It's also awesome for driving sims.

I have an alternative view of VR.  Yes it does put you in game and is more immersive even despite the lower graphics quality.  BUT, it is a step backward from Trackir when it comes to the ability to track targets.  With VR you will need to go back to using hat switches for your tracking vrews especially rear of the 3 to 9 line.

I love VR in car racing games and I dislike it in air combat games.  Just know there are two sides to the discussion before you spend hard earned cash.  I never use VR in AH anymore, I continue to use Tracir

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 03:45:56 PM »
I have an alternative view of VR.  Yes it does put you in game and is more immersive even despite the lower graphics quality.  BUT, it is a step backward from Trackir when it comes to the ability to track targets.  With VR you will need to go back to using hat switches for your tracking vrews especially rear of the 3 to 9 line.

<snip>

The rear view is not a problem for me, nor the people I have watched use it.  We simply turn around and look back.  Now, if you are in a chair which does not allow you to turn around and look back, then yes, the rear view is a pain without using the rear view key switch.

I think it is fair to call out to others they need an unobstructed ability to look back in order to get the most out of VR.  If you do have that, then VR is superior to TrackIR in its ability to track targets.  Take it from someone who has never been able to use TrackIR worth a darn but finds VR to be worlds easier to use.

The biggest issue I have with VR is not being able to comfortably see and use the keyboard.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 03:57:31 PM »
Scuzzy, there are many comments from others on the difficulty of aquiring targets to the rear of the aircraft.  I am simply trying to offer the OP a more balanced appraisal of VR.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 04:00:53 PM »
Was not trying to say your assessment was incorrect, but it read like all users have that issue, when that is not the case.

It really depends on the physical ability to turn around and look back.  I know too many people who do not have any trouble looking back.  I also people who do have trouble.

High back chairs are an impediment to looking back, as are chairs with large side bolsters.  The easiest chairs to aid in looking back are low back and swivel.

In this area, it is easy for a user to test before buying.  Just sit in your chair, grab your joystick, and if you cannot turn to look directly behind you without a lot of issues, then you are probably going to have to use the key combination to look back.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 04:03:10 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 04:08:21 PM »
I have both - TrackIR and a Rift.  Let me be clear, tracking in IR is very simple for a 2D view on combat.  VR immerses the player into the 3D cockpit into a 3D world. And yes, fighter tracking in TrackIR is simpler and easier than VR. But that's it.

And of course, it's all about perception and what you want to get out of a game.

I've gone VR and refuse to fly 2D anymore in Aces High.  For me, its the equivalent of coaching a little league game in my home town from the in the dugout vs being a first basemen, Fenway Park, game 7 of the world series. Top of the ninth. Two out. :D
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 04:11:59 PM »
By the way, I am not pushing VR.  I will be the first to say it is not for everyone.  It requires more of you physically than other technologies do.  The headsets can strain your neck.  They get hot.  They do not offer the best video resolution.  You cannot comfortably see the keyboard, or anything for that matter, when you are wearing the headset.

But it is also a very immersive technology.  It puts you in the cockpit like no other tech will.

It is a tradeoff.  Everyone has to decide if it is worth it for them.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 06:23:53 PM »
I just got back my other Computer, had 1060 Nvidia installed in it. It IS the 6g card though. It runs VR within the same levels as my 1070 computer. No Idea as to how it compares 3 to 6g. In my opinion, if your system can runVR any at all, you will be just as happy as if you spent hundreds more for a slightly better card. No ampount of card size/speed will improve VR as it is currently. The res and other issues folk have, will still be present, so might as well give it a try. Its really a toss up imo, some love it, some tolerate it and other dislike it. If you have the money,jump on in...the water is warm ish :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain