Author Topic: AMD Ryzen CPU  (Read 20890 times)

Offline Adjuster

• Copper Member
Re: AMD Ryzen CPU
« Reply #165 on: August 13, 2017, 07:53:38 AM »
Adjuster, just so you know an SSD doesn't add any speed to your games. As you said, you're going to use it for OS only which is nice if you really need to save the extra minute at startup. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against new technology at all. I'm just saying that you can save an extra $50 at the cost of a pee pause at startup and use it for a monitor.

A word of caution: Don't skimp on the power supply! It's the most important component of them all. A poor PSU can fry your entire rig whereas a good quality one can even take some spikes from the power grid without any damage.

Thanks
Wasn't sure about the SSD for os, seems to be the fad of the moment,  to be honest  I don't care about boot speeds,  I grew up with cassette tape loads to a ZX Spectrum  lasting 3 or 4 minutes only to fail at the last gap, so if it takes a few moments longer I don't care.

The spec list is off my local pc supplier Web page for a built system,  just using it as a guide to get down and dirty building it myself . Nothing quite like firing it up first time and gething past POST to put a smile on your face.  Hearing it go fizz however is another matter,  lol.
Adjuster

56 Squadron (Firebirds)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #166 on: August 13, 2017, 10:34:10 AM »
I consider an SSD an option, not a requirement.  If you are walking the line on a budget, that would be the first thing to toss out.

When looking at power supplies, just realize most power supplies are made by a handful of companies for all the other companies.  Seasonic is one of the largest power supply manufacturers around and they are the only ones who make what they sell.

If you insist on buying a supply with Corsair's name on it, or anyone else, then keep in mind they contract out power supply manufacturing and all offer is a name on the box.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2017, 10:52:11 AM »
I recommend the crucial MX300 for a cheap and solid SSD (if you want to go that direction).

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #168 on: September 06, 2017, 04:55:20 PM »
Update:

After a lot of reading, then reading some more I found out that this AMD Ryzen 7 1800X CPU's technological innovations (Net Neural Prediction, Precision Boost, Pure Power, Smart Prefetch), part of the AMD SenseMI package, is active only when SMT is enabled. The only part of AMD's SenseMI package that will work w\o SMT being enabled is Extended Frequency Range.

Now I have been running this Ryzen 7 1800X CPU of mine w\ SMT disabled pretty much since I got it so I went in my system UEFI & enabled SMT then rebooted my box & went into MSI AB and reset my graphs to include the other 8 logical CPU cores in the same 2 CCX layout so now all 16 CPU logical cores (better thought of as 16 threads) are displayed. I then got on my CPU binary calculator to come up w\ the hexadecimal number to reapply CPU affinity to the same 4 physical CPU cores (will now be CPU cores 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15) then make the change in the location line syntax of my 2 Windows CMD-created shortcuts for AHIII to instruct Windows to set this up when AHIII starts up.

Then I went in & played AHIII Dx11 to observe this Ryzen running w\ all this active thru my overlay..............

Now I can say that I've witnessed this tech actually working under load & it's pretty impressive to me. My CPU's performance didn't drop off at all even while the CPU core speeds were cycling up & down on all the CPU cores that weren't carrying the game loads that kept the CPU usage above the 30% CPU usage parameter that I had set in Powercfg prior.....the 2 physical CPU cores that were being used above this threshold were continuously pegged at 3.7Ghz thurout.

This turned out better than I thought it would. Gonna run w\ this for a while to study it more..........

Will record a video of my Team Red box running w\ SMT enabled w\ RTSS\HWINFO32 overlay showing all this in operation in real time.

FYI........................

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #169 on: September 07, 2017, 12:44:01 AM »
Here it is........................... ...

https://youtu.be/ze7ollWtnwg

Observe the individual CPU logical core usage % vs the 8 physical CPU core clock speeds vs the GPU data in the overlay to get the full effect of AMD's SenseMI in full operation.

Please note the GPU mem usage is over 1.7 Gb....indicating that this Fury X is under fairly high graphics setting loads as given below while running in this video.

Enjoy!

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd