Author Topic: VR vs ordinary monitors  (Read 3703 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: VR vs ordinary monitors
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2017, 09:02:09 PM »
Skill is skill. I think I have come up against some player that use VR and I think I have won more than lost. Hanging your skill on a crutch of "technology" isn't going to get you anywhere. Practice and skill will win out more often.

I cant afford VR so have no intentions of buying it at this time. But that doesn't mean Im going to give up because those WITH VR "may" have an advantage. It hasn't been proven to me and I'll keep shooting them down until they do  :devil

Offline aaronr

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2017, 09:54:31 PM »
To me that makes sense,
I have to think the added methods to get more situational awareness greatly help the newcomer who hasn't had much time to hone skills on hat switch as well.
I agree in the end they will not see much difference as comes to plain practice and skill.
MOBO: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, Win 7 Ult X64,  CPU:  i5 6600K @ 4.7  X 47 mult 1.25v core.
Enermax liquid cooling GFX: EVGA GTX 960 SSC 4 GB
PWR: Corsair RM750i RAM: DDR4 Patriot 2800 8GB X 2
Prime 95 12 hrs max temp 66c

Offline hyzer

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2017, 07:24:00 AM »
I suck, and always will, been flying since WB 2.0, with that said VR being 1 to 1 gives me a better understanding of where everybody is in a big dogfight.  My brain processes position of everyone better because I have to actually turn my head.  As far as what is better, it's already been said, it's just more fun flying in VR for me.
We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Offline haggerty

• Silver Member
      • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2017, 06:29:39 AM »
I just got VR this weekend and I will likely not be using it for Aces High.  While it provides an awesome experience I find that it limits my abilities.  The aim appears to be off and the depth perception isnt really there for me.  When im coming in on a flight of bombers I was almost always off on my target and am missing way too much.  I also feel like I've lost alot of situational awareness.  I have yet to use it for bombing vehicles and looking for them on the ground, we'll see how that goes.  I'm sure I would get better with more practice, much like the rudder pedals I bought, I can't stand that period of being mediocre and gave up on them quickly.
-Ninja250, -Spectre, -UBerHAGS, -FieroGT, -Haggerty, -Hellcat -Misawa, -Gloom -Nobunaga -Cobrakai

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2017, 09:15:19 AM »
Tried TIR for a while, and went back to the hat switch views.  I find hat switch much better for SA since I can survey every view in a couple of seconds and since the views are "fixed" it gives me a better feel for the attitude of the aircraft.  Haven't tried VR, but I wouldn't assume that it is an advantage.  As always, YMMV.   :D
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2017, 09:25:32 AM »
The depth perception utility of VR in a flight simulation is overblown, IMHO.  The eyes ability to determine distance due to binocular vision isn't all that great - you can potentially tell which object is closer, but determining actual distance is based much more on apparent size and environmental cues (haze, etc) than just from having stereoscopic vision.  The main advantage that a VR system like Oculus would give you is better awareness of exactly where an object is in relationship to you because your brain is used to determining location based on head position - i.e. you are much more keenly aware that it is behind you because you are looking over your shoulder, and how fast that position is changing because you are tracking it with your head/eyes.

Mike

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2017, 10:59:59 AM »
I just got VR this weekend and I will likely not be using it for Aces High.  While it provides an awesome experience I find that it limits my abilities.  The aim appears to be off and the depth perception isnt really there for me.  When im coming in on a flight of bombers I was almost always off on my target and am missing way too much.  I also feel like I've lost alot of situational awareness.  I have yet to use it for bombing vehicles and looking for them on the ground, we'll see how that goes.  I'm sure I would get better with more practice, much like the rudder pedals I bought, I can't stand that period of being mediocre and gave up on them quickly.

I believe the problem is that the monitor field of view you're used to is not normal perspective. Going to an accurate perspective is throwing you off.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2017, 11:35:16 AM »
From secondhand I have heard that "It is the closest thing to real flying I have experienced." That, however, does not mean it confers an advantage to winning air combat in a computer game. Since I only expect to experience "wonder goggles" vicariously I request that you buy a set, try them out, and report back your experience. The worst that could happen is you are dissatisfied and have to sell them. I suspect the absence of a clear definitive response is due to the fact that having success with AH depends on a bunch of things that the goggles don't help with so if you have some mastery of them the addition of goggles doesn't make a huge difference.

Just gotta say again the stock view system in AH is PERFECTION. It seems like every other flight sim just doesn't "get it." Even the ones with snap views don't really seem to work well. The simplicity of adjusting and saving the views is really nice and the ability to combine views is genius.
Pies not kicks.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2017, 11:40:33 AM »
Since I only expect to experience "wonder goggles" vicariously I request that you buy a set, try them out, and report back your experience.

Have you read through the All Things VR forum?

Offline N95KF

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2017, 12:22:47 PM »

Interesting.  I felt the same way early on, and now I won't fly without it.  The reason you feel that your shot is off is because you are most likely used to your 2D monitor @ 120 FOV or so.  With VR, leading the target and watching those tracers becomes more important than your muscle memory of where the target is relative to the crosshair (if that makes sense).  What I am trying to say is that you will get used to it with time.  Be glad the hit sprites are fixed, because in the beginning, you couldn't see hit sprites on the enemies aircraft, so you had no idea if your shots were off or not.  Not you can work around the target if you're off and readjust.  It takes some getting used to, but like I said, after a few days and some hours of flying each day, you won't be able to fight without it.
:airplane:

49Alpha

"We, not they, will win the final battle; and we, not they, will make the final peace!"

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2017, 03:41:20 PM »
Yoy may or may not need to adjust your FLIGHT STYLE. For me, it meant adjusting my guns convergence. I use to have .50s set at 400yrds+ Now....275. I was getting so much closer that my 400 conv was just tickling wing tips as main parts of enemy plane was falling inside my wing mount gun conv. If you are use to playing with way distorted FOV like I have seen from some folk with videos out there, you will be disappointed with VR. It is around 70-80 FOV? Some where in that range I believe. The HAT views still work with Aces High and VR, have yet to find another Flight Sim/Combat Sim that has hat views AND VR at same time. The head movement is 1:1 and fixed, but Hat views can help if you need it. It WILL require changes to your style and you will need to be patient and open minded about those changes. Its not for every one, so dont expect to go from mediocre to best ever in a month because of VR. VR just lets a player experience the closest thing to BEING THERE as most will ever get. You may experience nausea, most say that this is less than what TIR players experienced, mainly because the head movement was more natural with VR. The way I see some players jerking and flopping around, they would get REAL uncomfortable in VR. I guess the biggest thing for me, was how BAD I was actually flying. You notice all the little signals of UNCOORDINATED flight that I WAS having success with in 2D. I have to be alot more deliberate now. Mainly from the tighter FOV I believe. Every thing is in your face and you can see the little details you would normally get away with,especially in shooting. That was my experience. I have read alot on these forums and some folk are mis understanding why VR is "Greatest Thing EVER". It will improve realism, but if you suck now-you will suck with VR. If you have trouble finding Vehicles-you will now have new issues to work through with VR (learning how to track ground targets with limited head movement). Gv'ing in VR will be your hardest to deal with. 2 eyed Binocular>2 eyed MON-ocular is just plain off when gunning through turret sights. HighTech addressed this with the new "Mode swap" on headset removal though. I am NOT trying to discourage anyone looking to get VR, just giving an honest assessment. I love it and wouldnt go back to 2D and TIR unless I just absolutely had too, and I REALLY loved it when I found TIR. For me VR is just plain awesome! Wish I had a Dollar for every time I have knocked something off my desk, when reaching for the Throttle :rofl. I would have enough money to treat a few folk with free VR :uhoh The decrease in CRISPNESS is probably the biggest issue I hear with VR users, and it is a BIG step back from high def monitors. You will get use to it though. I was somewhat disappointed with VR at first, as it was WAY DIFFERENT. After about 2 months though I hardly noticed it. For me the "In the cockpit" realism feeling more than made up for some decrease in crispness. One other note to bring up,incase some dont read every bost about VR. If you wear prescription lenses, you will need them IN VR. Wearing glasses can cause SEVERE damage to Oculus Rift Lenses :bhead I know for a fact. I didnt even think my glasses were even close to touching but they were. I got major scratches in less than 2 months. They do offer Prescription lens implants for Oculus, and I would strongly recomend looking into these if you do need your glasses for Vr. I just found out about them a bit too late. https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-rift-prescription-lenses-adapter/
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 12:27:03 PM »
I have switched back and forth between vr and trackir.  Now, I stay with vr 100% of the time.  Dive bombing is a bit different in vr so if you switch back and forth you will find yourself missing easy shots. 

As posted before AH is leading the pack on supplemental views in vr.  If they can make VR like trackir, it will be a huge game changer.