Author Topic: IL-2 Sturmovik: "Battle of Bodenplatte" and Flying Circus Vol. 1 (RoF II)  (Read 5327 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: IL-2 Sturmovik: "Battle of Bodenplatte" and Flying Circus Vol. 1 (RoF II)
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2017, 05:52:40 PM »
This film is a bit more to the point of what the IL2 dev team is doing but, it's more for customer PR. Data from private air combat companies is available in many current two place aerobatic aircraft types like the Yaks used in this PR film. And digital wind tunnels are tools created by any good simm team to crunch 70 year old numbers on most of their offerings. Hitech has spoken about his tool from time to time over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d59wI2Uf6oA

I watched the interviews with the pilot who flew the I-16 and Mig-3, the info is "obviously invaluable up to a point" and then, are there any films of him doing air combat like in the dev team's Yak flight in the I-16 or Mig-3? He gave his opinion about the realm of flight for each plane based on the flight profile he was restricted to by the owners. While "understanding in his opinion" comments from WW2 pilots in their journals who had flown combat under an unrestricted profile to stay alive.

The dev team would have gotten more useful info if they had been flying two different plane types. Or had a third plane scheduled into the PR film to gain test data about air combat between dissimilar plane types. Still, it was a magnificent PR film to sell more copies of the game. They are lucky at the PR altitude they chose to show terrain and how this film looks like the game, that no one hit the trees.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2017, 06:48:17 PM »
This film is a bit more to the point of what the IL2 dev team is doing but, it's more for customer PR. Data from private air combat companies is available in many current two place aerobatic aircraft types like the Yaks used in this PR film. And digital wind tunnels are tools created by any good simm team to crunch 70 year old numbers on most of their offerings. Hitech has spoken about his tool from time to time over the years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d59wI2Uf6oA

I watched the interviews with the pilot who flew the I-16 and Mig-3, the info is "obviously invaluable up to a point" and then, are there any films of him doing air combat like in the dev team's Yak flight in the I-16 or Mig-3? He gave his opinion about the realm of flight for each plane based on the flight profile he was restricted to by the owners. While "understanding in his opinion" comments from WW2 pilots in their journals who had flown combat under an unrestricted profile to stay alive.

The dev team would have gotten more useful info if they had been flying two different plane types. Or had a third plane scheduled into the PR film to gain test data about air combat between dissimilar plane types. Still, it was a magnificent PR film to sell more copies of the game. They are lucky at the PR altitude they chose to show terrain and how this film looks like the game, that no one hit the trees.

It didn't all go perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Mm5Uyz4RI

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: December 29, 2017, 08:21:21 PM »
Well, I liked playing IL2 CLOD Team Fusion MOD, it was different than AH so I thought I'd spring for $25 to play Battle of Stalingrad and the thing that strikes me about it is how Looooooong every thing takes to download and set up and how it always forgets or reorders my controls and how LIMITED it is. I like the dreamy skies and terrain but I have to use track IR and it just isn't as easy to use right out of the box. By contrast with AH there is very little between you and being in the air shooting at things. The other thing is there is so much head movement, it is like you are drunk or something. I will say CLOD TF has a big update/new game which, after it finishes downloading sometime next week, I'll be interested in playing. I feel like you pay for what you get and if your not paying 15 a month server rent, where exactly is that money coming from???? Yeah and now I've got "gems" or something for some "what does this have to do with aircombat" market.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 09:18:47 PM by pembquist »
Pies not kicks.

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2017, 12:04:39 PM »
Well, I liked playing IL2 CLOD Team Fusion MOD, it was different than AH so I thought I'd spring for $25 to play Battle of Stalingrad and the thing that strikes me about it is how Looooooong every thing takes to download and set up and how it always forgets or reorders my controls and how LIMITED it is. I like the dreamy skies and terrain but I have to use track IR and it just isn't as easy to use right out of the box. By contrast with AH there is very little between you and being in the air shooting at things. The other thing is there is so much head movement, it is like you are drunk or something. I will say CLOD TF has a big update/new game which, after it finishes downloading sometime next week, I'll be interested in playing. I feel like you pay for what you get and if your not paying 15 a month server rent, where exactly is that money coming from???? Yeah and now I've got "gems" or something for some "what does this have to do with aircombat" market.

I use TrackIR and I have zero issues. Disable "cinematic mode" and "head shake" in the camera options. Adjust the "camera smoothness" slider if you need to, and look up TrackIR profiles by DerSheriff or Karaya. Or you can just try mine here.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1t3uhEOLEtpbhu69OGl9e75S6A5K57uti/view?usp=sharing

As for your controls resetting I've never had an issue with that either, perhaps you have an extra controller or something plugged in that is interfering.

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2017, 01:56:42 PM »
I'm using Karaya's profile, didn't know about head shake, the control thing is a complaint others have had, pedals joystick throttle get re assigned because of some usb thing, they don't have singular identities just where they are plugged in. The easiest fix is to unplug everything and then plug it back in in a particular order, it will then at some point get scrambled again, maybe the next time you play maybe a few weeks later. It is a windows thing not so much an IL2 thing except that AH doesn't have this problem so is better made from this aspect. Also it is not clear from my post but the controls issue is in CLOD I haven't played BOS long enough to know whether it is an issue.

I don't have a problem with the track ir so much, (just not used to it,) I meant only to point out that out of the box AH works better view wise than IL2. Some people are fine without track IR in IL2 but they are just better, like the mouse people are better, I think for some of us, a lot of some of us maybe, Il2 without track ir is a drag where AH it doesn't really matter if you have track IR or not.

Another thing, I don't know if it is across all IL2 but in the ATAG servers there is no autopilot so your arm gets a workout. Especially if you are lazy with the trim. And the radiators and prop pitch are kinda fun but different from flying AH where you don't have think about it, I like both ways.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 02:02:26 PM by pembquist »
Pies not kicks.

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2017, 02:07:17 PM »
The view system in IL2 works the exact same way as Aces High, you can move your head position wherever you'd like and save it as a snap view, so I don't understand how it could be worse.

Yes, there is auto pilot in BoS multiplayer. CloD lacks many features like this and you can't disable the ridiculously over exaggerated head shake in multiplayer. BoS is a better game in almost every way.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 02:09:20 PM by Krupinski »

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2017, 02:19:38 PM »
Well than maybe it is a lack of knowledge on my part, I'm just candidly saying that in AH with the page up page down buttons and the arrows and the F10 key it seemed really easy to set up views that worked, also the pan speed. Problem is it has been so long that maybe there isn't a difference but I do remember trying IL2, MSFS, Xplane, ROF, Warblunder and they never seemed as good/easy as AH. I'm not a video game player so it also might be that differences that seem large to me wouldn't to somebody more skilled with game interfacing.
Pies not kicks.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2017, 02:24:59 PM »
Well than maybe it is a lack of knowledge on my part, I'm just candidly saying that in AH with the page up page down buttons and the arrows and the F10 key it seemed really easy to set up views that worked, also the pan speed. Problem is it has been so long that maybe there isn't a difference but I do remember trying IL2, MSFS, Xplane, ROF, Warblunder and they never seemed as good/easy as AH. I'm not a video game player so it also might be that differences that seem large to me wouldn't to somebody more skilled with game interfacing.

I like the idea of having an adjustable pan-speed. 

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear