Author Topic: ok..dont laugh...SUBMARINES, limited  (Read 9163 times)

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
Re: ok..dont laugh...SUBMARINES, limited
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2018, 08:44:28 PM »
i would like to add a small idea to the idea IF subds were added as already discussed....and thats is the quick and easy idea of countermeasures that all aspects of aiming and firing are already in the game,,,,and that would be from any manned gun in the fleet have an option for  depth charge and a limited number of ammo for this idea....and then implement the type of aiming/ range/depth like the 88mm manned gun on a V-base.....in other words you aim toward an area, and then use the C and V keys to determine other factors for the depth charge....mabe as a timer until detonation?  so you aim and fire and then it launches hits the water and sinks at a predetermined rate, and after so many seconds detonates... thats one idea, im sure we could think of others...in this way  we dont need a manned destoyer, all ships have the potential to attack subs except maybe the heavy cruiser(our stand in for battle ship) and the cv(aircraft carrier)...again just a thought on this.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2018, 08:52:32 PM »
... any manned gun in the fleet have an option for  depth charge and a limited number of ammo for this idea....

Up to this point I thought you were being at least halfway serious and not trolling.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2018, 06:55:32 AM »
games that use submarines-submarine games-were designed and built to use submarines- AH AH2 AH3 was not designed to use submarines..
and guys forgive me for using another game title here but not even World Of Warships have submarines-and its a warship game.

no we don't need submarines.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 10:17:05 AM »
well i was being serious..as a matter of fact when i was asked for the 88mm flak gun the sticking point was they didnt have a proximity fuse on thier rounds...i had a discusion with skuzzy and suggested the using keys for the range to set the distance of the round exploding...skuzzy liked the idea and it went into the game.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2018, 10:28:57 AM »
well i was being serious..as a matter of fact when i was asked for the 88mm flak gun the sticking point was they didnt have a proximity fuse on thier rounds...i had a discusion with skuzzy and suggested the using keys for the range to set the distance of the round exploding...skuzzy liked the idea and it went into the game.

There's a big difference in suggesting a way to model historical accuracy and making up bizarre stuff. Don't presume previous good ideas support current bad ones.

Offline Mano

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2018, 03:52:14 PM »
We started with Aces High(Planes), then we added Aces Low(GV's), .....and soon we shall see Aces Below  :D

Submarine spawn points could be added near channels where all ships have to pass (a gauntlet) , also spawns near airfields, v Bases, or
ports much the way pt boats spawn in. Submarine captains will have to be very patient to take advantage of their opportunities.

Submarines will be restricted on how close they can get to the shore. They could also deliver troops for base capture. Instead of lvt's.....small motor boats are launched just off shore.  Once the motor boats reaches the beach the troops are let out to run. Troops would have to run allot further than those delivered by lv2t, m-3, or C-47. They would also be in danger of being spotted so the Submarine captain would have to be careful in his selection of the area for troop deployment.

CV's will need full time skipper to watch for enemy subs and pt boats, besides heavy fighters and bombers overhead.  :uhoh

Would be fun if several players can attach to help run the submarine, ie. man the guns, launch torpedoes ect.

The map makers will have a good time designing maps that include submarines.

AAAAAAOOOOOOOOGAAAAAAAA   DIVE DIVE DIVE !!!!!

:salute
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to somebody else.
- Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2018, 04:13:05 PM »
I spoke to Dale (HiTech) a number of years ago (interviewing him for a game magazine). His thinking at the time was that subs would spawn from a moving point that represents a wolf-pack. The WP would be moved around the map in the same fashion as the fleets are, with waypoints. So, when the WP is in transit, away from any enemy vessels, the players can just ignore it. When it's someplace interesting, they spawn the u-boat and con it in real-time. "Interesting" is in the eye of the beholder. If the WP is near an enemy base, you might want to spawn a U-boat and start shelling with the deck gun. If an enemy fleet is about to respawn at it's base, having a WP nearby would put you in a position to intercept it. Maybe you park the WP to bottle up a straight that an enemy fleet has to run through to get at your bases. Adding merchant convoys (think of them like trains) give you more targets.

The point is, it Aces High was always meant to grow beyond being just an air combat game. HiTech also stated he wanted to add a FPS element for base capture and defense. This is (or was, at least) always in the cards.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2018, 05:07:14 PM »
For the most part the water is -1000ft out of the box. I always thought while doing the alpha\beta testing when our GV's used to fall through the ground into the water Underworld that subs might work if that space had physics formulas that control it like the air above it does for aircraft.

Wouldn't the first step be finding out if Hitech is even interested.....
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2018, 05:49:16 PM »
.... if that space had physics formulas that control it like the air above it does for aircraft.

Similar, not like (but I know what you mean, I think).

Programming submarines into AH would likely be the most demanding thing HT has done, to date, and for it to be anything close to submarine sims from even a decade ago it would require all of his resources and nothing else would likely get modeled for years. I'm not sure how that'll bring players into the game faster than adding planes, vehicles or surface ships that require way fewer resources.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:03:04 PM by Arlo »

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2018, 09:56:20 PM »
its like we havent experienced that before... the last time a new plane was added to the game was january 2014.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2018, 10:19:14 PM »
its like we havent experienced that before... the last time a new plane was added to the game was january 2014.

That's because of the environmental update. You remember the environmental update that took precedence over everything?

And if HT tries to make AH a submarine game you won't see a new plane `til 2024.

SMH .... sometimes I wonder ....
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 10:21:24 PM by Arlo »

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2018, 11:21:06 PM »
   i remember the enviro-mental update...we are some of the few that stayed around to see it. main arena numbers are down, all numbers are down, FSO is down to 58% of what it used to be.

Offline wil3ur

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2018, 01:29:04 AM »
We should probably just kill our shades to get #1 ranking in the MA and be done with it  :noid :bolt:
"look at me I am making a derogatory remark to the OP"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2018, 12:35:50 PM »
Do we need to pass the hat and get alpini a crying towel??
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2018, 01:07:49 PM »
The brutal point is this - if something doesn't change to drastically increase the number of players in Aces High - like adding Aces Deep to the MA, we can only expect this game to last a little while longer before it is no longer operable at current subscription rates.

Adding another gameplay elements could give it a deeper audience other than pilot enthusiasts, is perhaps the easiest way to add another 1-2000 players initially, and if it takes off, then HTC can hire a team of aircraft and vehicle builders to expand upon the game.

I'm only speaking about the data I see...and the future isn't pretty.  :(

And for all of you to go "sorry, this isn't a sub game", well, it isn't a tank game either, yet here we are. I mean honestly, if HTC adds player controllable destroyers and subs, and another 2000 players show up, ya'll be like "frack off, this is a pilots game ya navy bastiges!" 

No, you'd all be  :x
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 01:12:03 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech