Author Topic: Dashcam footage released Uber Volvo XC accident in AZ  (Read 7407 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Dashcam footage released Uber Volvo XC accident in AZ
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 02:38:02 PM »
According to Uber, here are the sensor layouts and types.

If they are being truthful about the sensor package, there is no way that lady could have gotten in front of that car without it knowing about long before she got there.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 02:40:46 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 03:56:01 PM »
According to Uber, here are the sensor layouts and types.
(Image removed from quote.)

If they are being truthful about the sensor package, there is no way that lady could have gotten in front of that car without it knowing about long before she got there.

I'd be curious to see the recording of what the system thought was going on there.

Although I just noticed this was in the Daily Fail, so I now doubt the existence of Arizona and pedestrians...

I just saw the part of the video showing the driver.  Kind of illustrates the problem with an autonomous system.  If you're paying enough attention to be effective in that role, what's the point of not being in control?  I've often wondered why they don't do up some kind of system that basically does augmented reality through some kind of HUD on the windshield.  Infrared and/or night vision to improve the driver's awareness type stuff.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 08:24:41 PM »

Unless they have reached true autonomy and the cars - like the rest of us drivers - hate cyclists.

Offline ToeTag

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 09:29:04 PM »
They call it "common sense", then why is it so uncommon?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2018, 05:44:20 AM »
Unless they have reached true autonomy and the cars - like the rest of us drivers - hate cyclists.

There is always that.  This could be the first robot kill we have witnessed as they grow tired of their human overlords.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 06:45:03 AM »
There is always that.  This could be the first robot kill we have witnessed as they grow tired of their human overlords.

Skynet!
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 09:41:07 AM »

That sounds entirely too plausible.  I know I've read in the past how the vehicles were having trouble with cyclists due to unpredictability.  This incident paints that in a completely different light.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline SysError

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 10:10:09 AM »
Decide who lives and who dies. The Moral Machineacademic

"A platform for public participation in and discussion of the human perspective on machine-made moral decisions"

http://moralmachine.mit.edu/

Some of the results I got (from a few years ago..  Perhaps I should take it again to see changes....)

Most Saved Character: Reg guy
Most Killed Character: Fat Guy
Saving More Lives: Matter a Lot (to me)
Protecting Passengers: almost 50 - 50
Upholding the Law: A little less than other people
Avoiding Intervention:  A less than other people
Gender Preference: Females by a bit (i think it means preferr to save save females more than males.)
=======================
SysError

Dante's Crew

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2018, 10:55:59 AM »
So no one is going to question the fact that that *ahem* "person" was crossing in the middle of nowhere IN THE DARK while wearing DARK clothing, with NO reflectors that I could see on the bike or on her person, AND taking her sweet time in a 45MPH zone???

Yeah, no.  Scratch one stupid.  I see this a LOT in my line of work, and quite frankly, I have no sympathy for that cyclist/pedestrian.

THAT being said, I would've thought they would have something better to work with on that vehicle.  If the car is operating off of a camera like the one used in the dash cam, it's a surprise this hasn't happened sooner.  You don't see her till she's practically under the car.  You'd think they would have much better camera's and/or THERMAL camera's for situations like this.  Still needs work, as what is provided to us shows me that left lane was clear, so car could've evaded.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2018, 11:10:41 AM »
So no one is going to question the fact that that *ahem* "person" was crossing in the middle of nowhere IN THE DARK while wearing DARK clothing, with NO reflectors that I could see on the bike or on her person, AND taking her sweet time in a 45MPH zone???

Yeah, no.  Scratch one stupid.  I see this a LOT in my line of work, and quite frankly, I have no sympathy for that cyclist/pedestrian.

THAT being said, I would've thought they would have something better to work with on that vehicle.  If the car is operating off of a camera like the one used in the dash cam, it's a surprise this hasn't happened sooner.  You don't see her till she's practically under the car.  You'd think they would have much better camera's and/or THERMAL camera's for situations like this.  Still needs work, as what is provided to us shows me that left lane was clear, so car could've evaded.

Well, that's kind of the point isn't it?  An autonomous vehicle is relatively easy as long as nothing unexpected happens.  People and animals do stupid things.  Sometimes, there's just a large hunk of metal in the middle of the road for no good reason.

I agree with you that if what was on that camera was what the vehicle was able to see, then it's not a good system but per Skuzzy's picture upthread, that shouldn't be the case.

I sure wouldn't want to be the driver though.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2018, 11:22:19 AM »
The fact they are bringing the driver's past into this just shows that they really have nothing.  Sadly, there are enough stupid out there that will take that bait.  Yeah, I feel bad for the driver.
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2018, 11:47:48 AM »
The fact they are bringing the driver's past into this just shows that they really have nothing.  Sadly, there are enough stupid out there that will take that bait.  Yeah, I feel bad for the driver.

IMO the video's pretty damning with her having her eyes down like they were.

Depending on what was actually visible in the headlights though, if what the dashcam captured actually was what was visible it changes things a lot.  The vehicle was over driving the headlights and there wasn't a thing the driver could've done, even if they had F1 driver reflexes.  I doubt people will see that though and nobody will ever know.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2018, 11:49:01 AM »

So the penalty for jaywalking goes from a misdemeanor to insta-death..   :headscratch:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2018, 11:57:43 AM »
So the penalty for jaywalking goes from a misdemeanor to insta-death..   :headscratch:

Coogan

If that is how you want to take it, be my guest.  You are either fishing, or you haven't actually watched the video. :rolleyes:
HiTech

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2018, 12:07:52 PM »

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)