Author Topic: Squelching limits.  (Read 5439 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Squelching limits.
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2018, 12:38:14 PM »
You might try a wish where you ask for a toggle that will turn off all of your own text and VOX across the board instead of getting him to give you an unlimited list to discriminate against other players. Self discrimination does not seem to bother him.

Dear Hitech, please give us a toggle to completely turn off our own text and VOX at will.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2018, 04:26:48 AM »
You might try a wish where you ask for a toggle that will turn off all of your own text and VOX across the board instead of getting him to give you an unlimited list to discriminate against other players. Self discrimination does not seem to bother him.

Dear Hitech, please give us a toggle to completely turn off our own text and VOX at will.

Are you suggesting he squelches himself?   :rofl    I love it...

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2018, 05:37:04 AM »
The current system is limited and people work around it if they have a mind to do it.

Example:  player A spams voice comms and players B to Z squelch player A.  Works a treat.

Player A is a class dick, logs out and back in again.  That takes maybe 30 seconds.  All squelches are removed and have to be reinstated.  Rinse / repeat but the idiot spammer gets to spam away all night.

If the system was to squelch for 6 hours unless actively unsquelched that would seem to be a better solution.  I say 6 hours as that is in line with the side switch rule so there is a precedence that HTC believes that time is somewhat appropriate.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2018, 09:58:43 AM »
Are you suggesting he squelches himself?   :rofl    I love it...

Coogan

+1000

The current system is limited and people work around it if they have a mind to do it.

Example:  player A spams voice comms and players B to Z squelch player A.  Works a treat.

Player A is a class dick, logs out and back in again.  That takes maybe 30 seconds.  All squelches are removed and have to be reinstated.  Rinse / repeat but the idiot spammer gets to spam away all night.

If the system was to squelch for 6 hours unless actively unsquelched that would seem to be a better solution.  I say 6 hours as that is in line with the side switch rule so there is a precedence that HTC believes that time is somewhat appropriate.

Good idea. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2018, 11:35:48 AM »
You gents always want Hitech to give you tools to impact how others are playing the game or conducting them selves even if it's as passive as squelch. They pay the same $14.95 you do to act like what ever kind of fool they want to. And they may look at you wishing Hitech would give them a tool to impact whatever they don't like about you.

Hitech has never granted a perma squelch or anything close to it like a semi perma squelch. He has been consistent for the 16 years I've been here. The only wish no one has ever asked and might probably get implemented, is the ability to turn of all of your text and VOX so you cannot read or hear anyone if you are that offended by others in the game. He may support your personal choice to turn off your own ability to be offended by others paying the same fee to be in the game. That would truly be your own choice.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2018, 12:22:16 PM »
If you're just sick of the babble on a channel, it is possible to detune it.  I do it sometimes to 200 and occasionally to 2 when the politicking gets a bit thick.

Regardless of reasons why or who the OP is, a squelch list that has a limited capacity on it in this day and age is somewhat silly.  Permasquelch, I get why he hasn't implemented.  I don't agree, but I understand why.

Sometimes, you just don't care what some prolific talker has to say, and bustr, explain in detail (HA like you'd do anything else) what in the world squelching someone does to impact their gameplay?  They get no message, they continue to prattle on, you just aren't exposed to whatever they're spewing.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2018, 12:42:35 PM »
If you're just sick of the babble on a channel, it is possible to detune it.  I do it sometimes to 200 and occasionally to 2 when the politicking gets a bit thick.

I have set up a lot of extra tabs for this, so I don't even need to detune.
For example I have an "ALL" tab, which shows all channels I am tuned to. Then another one which do the same, except for CH200. And another one where country channel is not shown. Also, a tab with only system messages showing, in case I just want to fly and don't put up with anything. I think I'm now at 7 tabs with various combinations of channels.  :D

No need to detune/tune anything, just a click on the righ tab and peace is mine...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2018, 01:25:13 PM »

For example I have an "ALL" tab, which shows all channels I am tuned to. Then another one which do the same, except for CH200. And another one where country channel is not shown. Also, a tab with only system messages showing, in case I just want to fly and don't put up with anything. I think I'm now at 7 tabs with various combinations of channels.  :D

No need to detune/tune anything, just a click on the righ tab and peace is mine...

Yep, a good way of doing it with the current setup.  I had forgotten but I have a couple tabs but I can't remember how I set them up, but it's probably something similar to what you've got there.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2018, 04:11:25 PM »

I don't have thin skin and can take some ribbing.  Wish some folks on the BBS were like that.  I only talk smack in jest...   :old:

Coogan 
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2018, 04:18:59 PM »
I don't have thin skin and can take some ribbing.  Wish some folks on the BBS were like that.  I only talk smack in jest...   :old:

Coogan

99% of the time I don't squelch for people being foul or abusive (I don't offend easily), I squelch because they're blabbing incessantly about something I could not care less about.  Depending what I'm up to, I might squelch a guy that's talking about the BBQ he ate for lunch, or how his kids are doing at soccer, or politician x, or whatever.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline horble

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2018, 05:36:13 PM »
99% of the time I don't squelch for people being foul or abusive (I don't offend easily), I squelch because they're blabbing incessantly about something I could not care less about.  Depending what I'm up to, I might squelch a guy that's talking about the BBQ he ate for lunch, or how his kids are doing at soccer, or politician x, or whatever.

Wiley.

A thrilling conversation from tanks about dog food as I fight for my life above them is an instant squelch once I die.
Kommando Nowotny

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2018, 05:44:01 PM »
A thrilling conversation from tanks about dog food as I fight for my life above them is an instant squelch once I die.

That's Terble.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2018, 12:44:47 AM »
Game Id's:

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2018, 08:42:37 PM »
Lets see has been asked before and answere was no i won't implenent a perm list. Answere is still the same.

HiTech

IIRC, the reason why we don't have a permanent squelch list isn't to give each side to "mend fences" as suggested by some posts in this thread but because of the possibility of an innocent player being permanently squelched.

For example, Player A is put on someone's permanent squelch list and then Player A quits the game.  Now, along comes new Player B that happens to select old Player A's handle and is automatically permanently squelched because the original Player A was put on someone's permanent squelch list.  That is why HiTech has not implemented a permanent squelch option to the game.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 08:48:40 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2018, 10:05:48 PM »
Yup. But having it limited in size is still kind of silly.

Wiley.

JG11