Author Topic: F-4E Beatin’ Feet at Maple Flag  (Read 8737 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Re: F-4E Beatin’ Feet at Maple Flag
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2018, 11:01:11 PM »
Good words Oldman. 

A few years later, a couple of guys in a T bird decided to cancel IFR and fly down the gorge near Taos, NM.  Everything was going well as they raced down the gorge below the rim. Since this was a spur of the moment idea, they weren’t aware of the cable stretched across their path.  The cable passed over the nose and cleaned off everything flush with the top of the fuselage.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2018, 11:31:36 PM »
Re: Your refueling adventure...   :rofl :rofl :rofl :aok
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2018, 01:21:26 AM »
Good words Oldman. 

A few years later, a couple of guys in a T bird decided to cancel IFR and fly down the gorge near Taos, NM.  Everything was going well as they raced down the gorge below the rim. Since this was a spur of the moment idea, they weren’t aware of the cable stretched across their path.  The cable passed over the nose and cleaned off everything flush with the top of the fuselage.
:furious Quit using CODE speak!!! What is a T-Bird? I know...Look it up....I would rather here how you describe it :x
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2018, 01:23:33 AM »
Longest leg I did in the B-17 was from Juneau to Spokane, a little over 6 hours.  There were only 5 of us on the airplane.  My wife was wearing her flight suit when we departed, after landing in Spokane I noticed she was in "civvies".  It seems along the way she needed to relieve herself so back in the waist she dropped the flight suit down, positioned her ziplock back and took care of business.  About that time either a bit of turbulence or a clumsy rudder bump by one of the pilots wagged the tail on the Fortress....Bobbi went over backward dumping the contents of the bag onto her chest.  To this day she thinks I did that on purpose!!
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2018, 08:04:54 AM »
To this day she thinks I did that on purpose!!

Well...did you?

- oldman

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2018, 08:39:53 AM »
:furious Quit using CODE speak!!! What is a T-Bird? I know...Look it up....I would rather here how you describe it :x

T-33 jet trainer, the derivative of the P-80/F-80 “Shooting Star” fighter.  T-bird. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2018, 08:40:39 AM »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2018, 09:34:41 AM »

Since there are so many aviation experts in the forums, it’s natural to assume some level of knowledge. Please do ask questions.  More than happy to provide more detail. 

Crews often referred to the T-33 as the “T Bird”.

When the F-80 became operational, the prop fighter guys were having problems with the jet’s centrifical flow engine, especially in the traffic pattern.  The centrifical flow engine had a unique characteristic.  When the throttle was pushed forward, there was a delay in the engine thrust because of the spool up time, unlike what the high powered prop planes pilots of the time were used to.  The result, a lot of accidents in the traffic pattern. 

So, it was decided to make a trainer version of the F-80, the T-33.  This was done by putting a 33 inch (if memory serves me well) extension in the fuselage and a duplicate cockpit/controls, except the rear cockpit had the much hated instrument flying hood, normally stowed behind the rear ejection seat.  There were a set of bungee cords attached to the front center canopy bow of the rear cockpit and the rear canopy frame.  These bungee cords were more commonly used by the rear cockpit guy to hold his head up on long cross country legs whilst taking a nap.  It was matter of taking a couple of cords on each side and hooking them under the sides of the helmet. Whola! A neck stretcher.  Never did get a kink in my neck.

Here’s a good view of the instrument flying hood or “Bag” and the bungee cords.

And no that ain’t me. This is me a couple of years ago.
In the days before color photography was invented.

So with this new “Stretched F-80”, as we called it, there was a more effective and safe way of transitioning from props to jets.

Remember, it’s a stupid question if it isn't asked.

Any other acronyms you have questions about?  :salute
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 10:54:28 AM by Puma44 »

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2018, 10:43:36 AM »
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2018, 10:55:13 AM »
Only if you ever admitted to it. :rofl

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2018, 11:33:28 AM »

The luminescent green strips are formation lights for additional visual reference at night.

Reminds me of a night bombing range mission.  Led a two ship of F-4Es from Moody AFB to the Elgin AFB range complex in the panhandle of Florida.  We each dropped six BDU-33 practice bombs.

I pulled off the last pass and started a climbing left hand turn, watching #2 drop his last one and come off target.  He called “no joy” for the rejoin.  I described our visual position and he still couldn’t see us.  So, I  stroked both ABs to mid range and back out.  Still no joy.  Next, a full AB stroke and “no joy”.  So, I turned the flares to the “ON” position and rippled off about a dozen.  “There you are” #2 replied.  We rejoined and RTBed to Moody.

The next day, the Valdosta newspaper ran a story about UFOs that were spotted over the Florida panhandle the night before, about the same time we were trying to rejoin.

So, with that in mind the next time we flew a night interceptor mission in the MOA (Military Operating Area) that had downtown Valdosta in the center of the airspace, liberal use of the flares was exercised.  You guessed it.  The next day, the paper reported several UFOs seen over Valdosta the night before. 😆
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 12:43:49 PM by Puma44 »

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2018, 01:59:46 PM »
I  saw a T33 and an CF18 fly formation over my house last weekend,we have a restored one here and it's flight worthy.  With the wing tanks it looks just like a P80 but dont you dare call it that as you will be corrected....wonder how I know that....... :noid

Ya Puma you had all the fun!!! :aok

:salute

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2018, 02:22:56 PM »
<snip>So, with that in mind the next time we flew a night interceptor mission in the MOA (Military Operating Area) that had downtown Valdosta in the center of the airspace, liberal use of the flares was exercised.  You guessed it.  The next day, the paper reported several UFOs seen over Valdosta the night before. 😆
:rofl

Ahhh, so it was you that was pretending to be little green men?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2018, 03:01:48 PM »
I  saw a T33 and an CF18 fly formation over my house last weekend,we have a restored one here and it's flight worthy.  With the wing tanks it looks just like a P80 but dont you dare call it that as you will be corrected....wonder how I know that....... :noid

Ya Puma you had all the fun!!! :aok

:salute

The tanks are way different between the two. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2018, 03:21:38 PM »
 :rock Thanks for the non code update :rock  I could pick your brain for hours! Colmbo's story....PRICELESS :rofl   Wonder if she still brings it up during"DISCUSSIONS" most women I know would :rofl   So the extension was for adding a "Back seater" ...noticed before you were commenting on "Taxiing from back seat and couldnt see where you were going"..so assume the Trainee was in the back...assumption based on the location of THE HOOD.  The bungee cord thing was great! I need to see about getting something like that for next road trip...with Dad Driving :x Not that I would get any sleep...but would cut down on Neck fatigue...the late application of brakes, full burner on green lights...and swerving due to Rubber Necking....My teeth may still get sore..but a mouth guard may help that!  :rofl
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain