Author Topic: Boeing 737 800 MAX  (Read 8556 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Boeing 737 800 MAX
« on: March 12, 2019, 12:31:48 PM »
Boeing 737's have been operational since 1967 and have the safest track record of any commercial aircraft.

Two 737 800 MAX's have crashed since October 2018. Within days of the latest tragedy, numerous countries have grounded The MAX as well as denying airspace to those aircraft from other countries. Seems to me that while a full investigation is warranted as to the cause of failure(s), the recent panic as to the safety of this plane is overblown.

I read where the MAX has onboard software that's designed to prevent a stall. Reportedly, Boeing has not advised airlines "in detail" as to overrides needed to disengage said software. IIRC, an Airbus went down in France a few years ago due to similar software issues.

Thoughts?

OK ACHOO....you're on  :devil

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
Re: Boeing 737 800 MAX
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 12:42:18 PM »
You mean AF296? that wasnt a software issue. That was a crew F*up.

Since the similarities with the Lion Air crash are definitely there and the pilots was aware of the issues with MCAS and how to handle them. My personal opinion is that grounding the plane is the right thing to do at this point since there is a possibility that the plane can crash due to MCAS issues and that the pilots aren't able to control the aircraft despite having knowledge about it and additional training to handle it. So the worst case scenario is that the plane have a single point of failure that renders the plane uncontrollable. Im not saying its the case but imo since we DON'T know that it ISNT'T the case the plane should be grounded until we know.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 12:58:11 PM »
I would remind all that this airplane has been in service since May 2017. It has been operating safely with many North American airlines since then.
A safety culture has its foundation within an airline and it should flow down from management to all employees, and from the employees upwards to management. Its an attitude that should be fostered and welcomed in all operations.
To believe that "one level of safety" (an ALPA term) exists among all airlines, let alone around the world is categorically naïve.
Lets not crucify the airplane or anyone else until the NTSB completes their job.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 01:21:12 PM »
With no factual evidence in hand yet, judgement calls are premature and irresponsible.  Knee jerk reactions never prove to be productive solutions, especially from politicians and “internet experts”.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 01:30:02 PM »
the plane have been grounded in pretty much the entire world except for NA. EASA would not ground them for no reason. And have in mind that FAA stated that  "so far nothing found suggests [the 787] is not safe" 3 days before it was grounded...

And also have in mind that Ethiopian airlines is the largest airline on the African continent and is not considered any less safe than a Western airline. They also have a quite new fleet with both the 787 and A350. There is no reason to assume that they are unsafe/less safe just because its an African airline.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:37:44 PM by Zimme83 »
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 01:37:19 PM »
Grounding before facts are known = knee jerk reaction based on irrational fear.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 01:38:11 PM »

Like the 787 then...

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 02:43:48 PM »
Seems to me that while a full investigation is warranted as to the cause of failure(s), the recent panic as to the safety of this plane is overblown.

You're just sensitive because they named it after you.

- oldman

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 03:03:11 PM »
Also can potentially save lives. Double edge sword and I know which side I’d rather be on.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 03:31:41 PM »
the plane have been grounded in pretty much the entire world except for NA. EASA would not ground them for no reason. And have in mind that FAA stated that  "so far nothing found suggests [the 787] is not safe" 3 days before it was grounded...

And also have in mind that Ethiopian airlines is the largest airline on the African continent and is not considered any less safe than a Western airline. They also have a quite new fleet with both the 787 and A350. There is no reason to assume that they are unsafe/less safe just because its an African airline.

If you don't think anti-Boeing politics are involved in the EASA decision then you're naive.   

The bodies aren't even cold yet and people are running rampant with speculation. 

Oh, and I spent two years flying in Africa.  I wouldn't set foot on ANY of their airlines with the possible exception of SAA--and only that one in a pinch.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 03:33:12 PM »

Bingo.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 03:35:45 PM »
If you don't think anti-Boeing politics are involved in the EASA decision then you're naive.   

The bodies aren't even cold yet and people are running rampant with speculation. 

Oh, and I spent two years flying in Africa.  I wouldn't set foot on ANY of their airlines with the possible exception of SAA--and only that one in a pinch.
If you don’t think pro-Boeing politics is going on in the US you’re naive.

The Few

-Spek

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 03:38:39 PM »
If you don’t think pro-Boeing politics is going on in the US you’re naive.

Sure it is. Any company with such a long successful history would be thought of highly.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 03:40:33 PM »
Sure it is. Any company with such a long successful history would be thought of highly.

As it should. But they got a problem on their hands and it should be dealt with before anymore lives are lost. Flying that plane at the moment is obviously very risky.

The Few

-Spek

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 03:41:48 PM »
As it should. But they got a problem on their hands and it should be dealt with before anymore lives are lost. Flying that plane at the moment is obviously very risky.

Maybe.... we do not know yet.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)