Author Topic: Oculus quest  (Read 1988 times)

Offline toddbobe

• Nickel Member
Oculus quest
« on: April 30, 2019, 08:24:40 PM »
Will AH work on the quest?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Oculus quest
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 11:04:38 PM »
Nope, it does not connect to a PC (at the moment, and if it did video performance would be laggy).

Offline toddbobe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 02:38:07 PM »
Nope, it does not connect to a PC (at the moment, and if it did video performance would be laggy).
That’s what I thought... just checking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 04:55:40 PM »
Just fwiw, I have an Oculus CV1, and am getting a Quest. They offer quite unique functionality and experiences so it's not necessarily a case of having one or another. Once you have a tethered PC headset you'll get the idea.

Offline toddbobe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 05:51:42 PM »
Just fwiw, I have an Oculus CV1, and am getting a Quest. They offer quite unique functionality and experiences so it's not necessarily a case of having one or another. Once you have a tethered PC headset you'll get the idea.
The only thing I use my VR for is aces. Im thinking about getting the S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bonghunter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 10:22:34 AM »
Hi,
   Only just tried AH on my oculus quest, worked well enough. managed to get into a plane and fly about a bit in offline mode. Was some distortion in the VR view, quite obvious warping of view at the edges in the tower, but not really apparent when flying.

I'll have to spend a bit more time working out the best setup and if there are any other issues.

As to how you do this with the quest, you first need to set your oculus to developer mode with you phone app, then create a developer account on oculus's website. after that use sidequest to load ALVR onto your quest. install ALVR and steam on your PC. And finally your computer has to have a wired connection to a 5g capable router which your quest connects to over you wifi network.

After you get all that working you can use steam from the oculus quest. which is great cause quest really does lack free content and is even a bit short of paid content.

I've been using this setup and it works quite well. I occasionally do get major tearing artifacts on some games, not really sure what the root cause of this is though. 

Also, oculus has announced that they are planning to release a link cable for the quest in the future.     

Regards

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 05:49:32 PM »
There is no point in the above as Oculus will be releasing the link capability next month.

Also you don't need a 5G capable router? (I doubt you have any 5G networks yet...)

Offline bonghunter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 08:37:39 PM »
Well,

Also you don't need a 5G capable router? (I doubt you have any 5G networks yet...)

Probably should have been clearer,  5G, as in a 5 ghz wifi network, not a 5g mobile phone cell network.

There is no point in the above as Oculus will be releasing the link capability next month.

As for the cable, well that's next month and will cost about $80, also, it's nice not to have a wire attached for many games. that said, I'll probably buy a link cable as soon as they are available.

Finally, there are several games that you can sideload that are good and not available in the quest Oculus store.

<O

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2019, 12:54:59 PM »
Starting next month with the Quest update, and coupled with the cable, you'll be able to use the Quest no different than any game for the two Rift systems. And in the January release, they expect it to allow you to dump your controllers for hand motion sensing.  Meaning, bye-bye crappy hand controllers.

My son wants to upgrade his Acer VR headset to a Rift, I'm telling him to buy the Quest.  Best of both worlds no?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2019, 01:16:58 PM »
Starting next month with the Quest update, and coupled with the cable, you'll be able to use the Quest no different than any game for the two Rift systems. And in the January release, they expect it to allow you to dump your controllers for hand motion sensing.  Meaning, bye-bye crappy hand controllers.

My son wants to upgrade his Acer VR headset to a Rift, I'm telling him to buy the Quest.  Best of both worlds no?

Interesting.  So you can run Steam games? 

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2019, 03:37:50 PM »

Interesting.  So you can run Steam games? 

That's what they say but I'm waiting for verification... the old Trust but Verify. :)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2019, 03:41:03 PM »
I have a Quest and a CV1 (Rift, as well as a DK1 and DK2). I will be ordering the cable and testing it with AH and Steam.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2019, 03:48:23 PM »
I have a Quest and a CV1 (Rift, as well as a DK1 and DK2). I will be ordering the cable and testing it with AH and Steam.
Well, there we go. Vulcan will test it for us. :x

I had a DK2, and now two Acer VH101 VR headsets. Oldest wants to upgrade his Acer to a Quest.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2019, 04:13:25 PM »
The official link cable is shipping, just placed my order.

Offline Softail

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 07:16:01 AM »
Any update Vulcan?