Author Topic: Return of Wild Bill and MicroProse  (Read 35254 times)

Offline gflyer

• Copper Member
Re: Return of Wild Bill and MicroProse
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2019, 07:59:09 AM »
Archie, thanks for posting.

You will find that these boards are monitored by self-appointed experts - on everything.

My personal experience  with warbirds is they never deliver on the sales pitch.  That may change but history says not. 

Offline Archie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2019, 09:13:51 AM »
My personal experience  with warbirds is they never deliver on the sales pitch.  That may change but history says not. 

Keeping my fingers crossed, normaly i would be also skeptical, but there are few big pluses:

-They are using a new engine (UE 4)
-MicroProse revival (someone invested into a company, website etc)
-David Lagettie is a expert on simulators

Here is what David has been doing for the military

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvR1HU1IHcY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLduhu5wclM

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2019, 11:40:46 AM »
Archie, thanks for posting.

You will find that these boards are monitored by self-appointed experts - on everything.

Well with Archie's help they certainly deliver THE sales pitch.

And btw that Wild Bill guy certainly has a high opinion of himself I can't see it but I guess there is one born every minute.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Archie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2019, 02:46:13 AM »
David is teasing on twitter, I wonder if the game will be released under MicroProse banner? Notice the lower left corner.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2019, 04:23:47 AM »
Can the UE deliver on long range views? In the past it never has (I think we have MA vis up to 10km).

Offline Archie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2019, 04:42:22 AM »
Can the UE deliver on long range views? In the past it never has (I think we have MA vis up to 10km).
Yes it can

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2019, 09:05:34 AM »
Yes it can

(Image removed from quote.)

Are you 100% guaranteeing that is an actual live in-game screenshot? 

Or is that more rendered "concept art"?

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2019, 10:39:07 AM »
From what I have seen of the UE4 is that it is capable of very good effects the screenshots are not out of its realm to pull off which is why it is used so prolifically. Though since the game is barely built I think these are just static pieces to attract interest.

UE4 is completely easy to access and free as well (Epic take a percentage of profits, only if you make profits).

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »
Though since the game is barely built I think these are just static pieces to attract interest.

Exactly.

Static concept art is one thing.  Actual live 80 plane MP game-play video is another.  If they are releasing in the Fall, surely they are in Beta at this point.  There should be plenty of "actual gameplay" videos posted.

I've seen too much vaporware over the years to put stock in concept art.   I'll believe it when I've downloaded it and am playing it on my machine.

So, we'll see what we see.

:salute

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2019, 10:56:18 AM »
surely if you wanted high fidelity flight models and jaw dropping graphics you would just go and play DCS?   

Jets, WW2 birds, they have something for everyone except maybe WW1 fanatics.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2019, 11:01:15 AM »
surely if you wanted high fidelity flight models and jaw dropping graphics you would just go and play DCS?   

Is that the one I spent 45 min flipping switches to turn the damn thing on so I could go fly?

It's like a flightsim for accountants.

All you should have to do is yell "CONTACT!"
Start her up, and wave the chocks away and go!

:D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 11:05:05 AM by CptTrips »

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2019, 11:37:22 AM »
Exactly.

Static concept art is one thing.  Actual live 80 plane MP game-play video is another.  If they are releasing in the Fall, surely they are in Beta at this point.  There should be plenty of "actual gameplay" videos posted.

I've seen too much vaporware over the years to put stock in concept art.   I'll believe it when I've downloaded it and am playing it on my machine.

So, we'll see what we see.

I don't think you caught the point. Its most likely in-game photage, not some pre-rendered scene.

It probably shows off the capability of the UE4 engine so the end result wont be much different from the actual screenshots.

What worries me is that they are looking for investors, which means they don't have confidence in their vision or current resources. Crowd funding is a really strange creature.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2019, 11:48:22 AM »
I don't think you caught the point. Its most likely in-game photage, not some pre-rendered scene.

It probably shows off the capability of the UE4 engine so the end result wont be much different from the actual screenshots.

What worries me is that they are looking for investors, which means they don't have confidence in their vision or current resources. Crowd funding is a really strange creature.

I did, but I don't think you caught mine. 

I doubt that is what the live game terrain will look like.  If they are releasing in Fall, they should be in Beta.
They should be able to post live multi-player actual game-play videos of planes flying through that terrain. 
Real time game play, not some pre-rendered cinematic scene. 
If they had video like that, on that terrain looking like that, I'd think they'd be posting it.

Because surely they wouldn't expect anyone to believe empty, static, concept art pictures.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2019, 12:07:33 PM »
I did, but I don't think you caught mine. 

I doubt that is what the live game terrain will look like.  If they are releasing in Fall, they should be in Beta.
They should be able to post live multi-player actual game-play videos of planes flying through that terrain. 
Real time game play, not some pre-rendered cinematic scene. 
If they had video like that, on that terrain looking like that, I'd think they'd be posting it.

Because surely they wouldn't expect anyone to believe empty, static, concept art pictures.

That is what I was pointing out, the terrain *will* be the same as shown in the static picture.

My guess to the delay of beta videos/etc is the lack of pilots/players since WB is really bad with player number.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2019, 12:25:09 PM »
Is that the one I spent 45 min flipping switches to turn the damn thing on so I could go fly?

It's like a flightsim for accountants.

All you should have to do is yell "CONTACT!"
Start her up, and wave the chocks away and go!

:D

for the impatient you can hit right window key + home for autostart sequence the same as AH's  E key.  :aok

just need a new pair of glasses and a stiff brandy to see anything.   
The Few ***
F.P.H