Author Topic: Climate change  (Read 18065 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: Climate change
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2019, 03:27:53 PM »
Here's the problem.

Since the ice age disaster predicted in the 1970's, the acid rain disaster predicted in the 1980's, and the ozone hole disaster predicted in the 1990's, there might not be enough vital strength left in our species to fight the global warming disaster predicted in the 2000's.

According to economic models forecasting the horrible effects of unchecked global warming, we are going to have to put up with this dire situation:  80 years from now, global GDP will be 10% lower than it would be without global warming.  That means in 2100, the world would have only 10x as much wealth as today instead of 11x as much wealth as today.  Grim indeed.

On the positive side, maybe it is possible that global warming eliminates the next ice age.  An ice age would cause global GDP to be 0x today's GDP and would wipe out 90+% of humans (and of most other species).  So, there is that consolation, maybe.

Of course, there are also some higher-probability things with regard to humans and the planet:  wars, nations so egregiously mishandling themselves that it causes mass misery and death of their own citizens, epidemics, Carrington events, supervolcanos, asteroid strikes, need for water, energy, food, dealing with waste, etc. -- things that we can clearly see the risk of without speculative models that have a thousand adjustable parameters (and thus are nearly certain to be useless for prediction).

Then there is the issue of us entering the age of media having drastically more-powerful tools to influence the populace.  We are living through -- right now -- the transition of big media upgrading to nuclear weapons of propaganda instead of the old conventional weapons of propaganda.  It is becoming a dangerous time where media is full of so many lies, fakes, factions, agendas, and attempts to manipulate that people should not believe most of what they see.  Eisenhower warned of the military/industrial complex.  We are in the time of the media/government-faction complex.

Global warming is not my greatest concern.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2019, 03:51:37 PM »
While there are many unsustainable aspects to our current situation there were real concerns like world hunger that we have sharply reduced instead of seeing the increase that was predicted. The fake problems are easy but I'm confident that the real problems will see innovative solutions, like fracking, because this is America.

But yes, keep a skeptical eye on the media.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2019, 04:14:48 PM »
Extinction Rebellion isn’t about the Climate

Yes, yes, I know. The climate is breaking down. It’s urgent. An emergency. We’ve only got a few years left to ‘fix’ it.
Indeed, we won’t fix it. Weather patterns will become increasingly unstable and unpredictable, and the effects it will soon have on how humans around the world grow food will be devastating, likely causing harvests to fail across entire continents and food prices to sky-rocket. Millions have already suffered due to the amplified instability. We’re facing imminent societal collapse (whatever that means), both around the world and in the UK. All of our lives are soon going to radically change.

None of this is particularly controversial. When a bus is driving with a certain momentum towards a person, it gets clearer and clearer that it will hit the person. After a certain point, it’s inevitable. And that’s where we stand now, with regards to the momentum of climatic change. The bus is about to hit us. Our lives are about to change. It’s not clear whether or not we’ll survive (as a species). Many species have already been run over. Two hundred species each and every day go extinct.

I’ve been with Extinction Rebellion (XR) from the start. I was one of the 15 people in April 2018 who came together and made the collective decision to try to create the conditions that would initiate a rebellion. I was a coordinator of one of the original five working groups, and I’ve been organising with XR day-and-night since then (frugally living off my savings so I don’t have to work, having quit an industry that paid me £1000/week). And I’ve been in RisingUp (the organisation from which XR has emerged) since the first RisingUp action in November 2016. I’m a RisingUp Holding Group member, and a member of the XR Guardianship Team.

more https://medium.com/@plaosmos/extinction-rebellion-isnt-about-the-climate-42a0a73d9d49

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2019, 04:36:58 PM »
If you think weather is any different than it was 100 years a go..... you need to do some studying. The media blows hot air up everyone's keister.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2019, 04:38:09 PM »
Right now, all the tourists and snowbirds have gone south for the winter..
Ya walk outside, and the whole valley smells like Alder Smoked Venison and Salmon..
Just hung my first batch of this venison jerky this morning, two more soaking in brine..
Winter is comin, just like it does every year..

Cult following Fools supergluing their tit to the street, to "Suckle the Earth"
isn't gonna change anything..  :rofl

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2019, 04:40:51 PM »
Global warming is not my greatest concern.

However, the Pentagon considers it the greatest threat. Go figure.  :O

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2019, 04:41:28 PM »
From all of the fake science reports and theorizing regarding "climate change" and scare tactics to fool people around the world and get people, country's governments to flood wasted money towards a false cause

They have suckered and scared most into thinking it's actually real

Read up on when they found the hole in the ozone, then they claimed it was getting bigger, then they claimed that the earth's ozone layer was burning away because of fluorocarbons (stuff like carbon dioxide, HVAC refrigerants R-12, R-22, R-512, etc) were banned and outlawed around that what was it the 1992 agreement all to be found as a false truth

Ozone is a  natural occurrence that is like earth's own cleaning aid (like using bleach to clean your white linen), happening most times during lightening/thunderstorms....

The hole in the ozone is over Antarctica and was found around 1947 and it shrinks and enlarges and shrinks over and over, never has gotten any bigger

Yet this was Big business way to increase their profit margins and force the world to pay more as they phased out the refrigerants I posted earlier, then created new refrigerants like R-410 and R-134 then turn around and rinse repeat the process of suckering people to change over and convert their HVAC&R systems to use the new refrigerants

Nothing new under the Sun!   History always repeats itself

It is up to each individual to see through the BS and find the truth

The Earth's history shows that "climate change" is nothing more than Nature's way of working, nothing more-or-less

TC

Truth. I’m in the trade. It’s all about $$$ 2 years ago R22 was driven up to 8-900$ for a 32Lb cylinder its at 400~ right now. A total scam. They are doing the same thing again with 404A. A great refrigerant. Lots of companies are starting to use R290 which is propane. Another great refrigerant but can be dangerous if not handled properly.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2019, 04:51:25 PM »

I bet the Pentagon loves Yellow Cake with their Coffee too!  :x

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2019, 05:03:39 PM »

How many trillions did the Pentagon "lose" again?
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2019, 05:06:40 PM »
I bet the Pentagon loves Yellow Cake with their Coffee too!  :x

And there your logic on this matter rests. Imagined conspiracy.

The military-industrial complex has been all about the money since the days of Eisenhower (and he voiced his concern). So to see the Pentagon (under the Trump admin) consider the global climate change the greatest threat to world security is actually quite a head's up (and not like a head-up-the-arse pov of some of the most vocal conspiracy heads). I find the 'fear of being conned' mindset taking precedence over the concern for humanity's well-being sadly toxic. After all, you'd think a conservative mindset would weigh the worse case scenarios on both sides (the cost of addressing the climate vs. the cost of not doing so) and side with what would be best for all of humanity and not just their political expedience or pocket book.

But then, I'm posting to those here that are hard-set in their povs, for or against. These type of threads have never accomplished anything productive.

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2019, 05:16:03 PM »
And there your logic on this matter rests. Imagined conspiracy.

If you trust known proven liars, then the problem is yours..
Fool me once, ya know??? In the Pentagons case, many times!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2019, 05:18:10 PM »
If you trust known proven liars, then the problem is yours..
Fool me once, ya know??? In the Pentagons case, many times!

Science is a 'proven liar?' How medieval.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2019, 05:19:45 PM »
China has built the largest solar farm in the world.

And yet, why are the Chinese citizens always wearing surgeons' masks ?
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2019, 05:20:59 PM »
And yet, why are the Chinese citizens always wearing surgeons' masks ?

Seems China's motivation for putting their alternative energy program into high gear is confusing to some.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2019, 05:23:37 PM »
Seems China's motivation for putting their alternative energy program into high gear is confusing to some.

So what ur saying is wearing surgeons masks is normal in China?
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll