Author Topic: Delay Two-Week Trial Until First Melee Login  (Read 3947 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Delay Two-Week Trial Until First Melee Login
« on: October 19, 2019, 10:11:53 AM »

I could be wrong, but I believe the two-week trial starts as soon as they open the account.  If so, I suggest the trial doesn't start until they first login to the Melee (and make sure that is clearly communicated).

They should have the ability to go through the upcoming training and maybe even go practice in the F2P arena (like.... maybe a WWII AI arena  :cool:) without starting the clock ticking. 
This would allow them to get up to speed and get their controls worked out, and learn some of the basic mechanics  BEFORE starting the clock ticking.  Give them the chance to get up to speed without the time pressure.

Otherwise you set up the perverse incentive to jump into the Melee immediately even if they are not ready, because otherwise they feel they are wasting their two weeks.  That generally leads to a poor user experience for the player and a lost customer for HTC.  They will also be much more receptive to the qualification missions if they don't think you are burning through their trial time.

The two week trial should be focused on appreciating the excitement of online multiplayer WWII combat in the Aces High arena, not on how how to get off the runway. 

$0.02,
CptTrips
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Re: Delay Two-Week Trial Until First Melee Login
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 10:29:22 AM »
I don't remember but is the two week trial based on calendar days or is it based on time logged in to the game? 
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 10:41:43 AM »
I don't remember but is the two week trial based on calendar days or is it based on time logged in to the game?

Calendar days I believe.

It could take a week just to get basics figured out.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2019, 10:46:54 AM »
I thought your new 2 weeks trial only started once you had logged into an Arena

Not sure if Dale has switched it as logged into a "subscription arena" or not since all the changes

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2019, 10:58:19 AM »

Not sure if Dale has switched it as logged into a "subscription arena" or not since all the changes

TC

Ah.  I thought it was on account creation.

It should only start once you first login to the Melee.  If that is already the way it is then...nevermind.  :D

The message should be slow down.  Take your time. There is no rush. Get your controls setup.  Go to the side arenas and get a feel for things. Go to the TA and get a little instruction.  We want you to make the best use of your two week trial in the Melee. 

There should be an explicit popup message for the Melee like "Entering this arena will begin your two week trial period.  Do you wish to continue?"

$0.02.
CptTrips

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2019, 01:13:52 PM »
I could be wrong, but I believe the two-week trial starts as soon as they open the account.  If so, I suggest the trial doesn't start until they first login to the Melee (and make sure that is clearly communicated).

They should have the ability to go through the upcoming training and maybe even go practice in the F2P arena (like.... maybe a WWII AI arena  :cool:) without starting the clock ticking. 
This would allow them to get up to speed and get their controls worked out, and learn some of the basic mechanics  BEFORE starting the clock ticking.  Give them the chance to get up to speed without the time pressure.

Otherwise you set up the perverse incentive to jump into the Melee immediately even if they are not ready, because otherwise they feel they are wasting their two weeks.  That generally leads to a poor user experience for the player and a lost customer for HTC.  They will also be much more receptive to the qualification missions if they don't think you are burning through their trial time.

The two week trial should be focused on appreciating the excitement of online multiplayer WWII combat in the Aces High arena, not on how how to get off the runway. 

$0.02,
CptTrips

Not a bad idea. The whole push is to get these folks airborne and communicating.

At least then you can hear frustration in their voice or post.... maybe give them some pointers in game then. Take them under our wing.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2019, 01:25:03 PM »
If not already done, the two weeks should only count down time when logged in
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 01:51:36 PM »

TC

You know, you might be right.  Maybe we've discussed this before.  I think I vaguely remember that now.

I have dementia too you know.  :D

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 02:08:11 PM »
Whilst I agree with the sentiment there has been no evidence put forward that the length of trial or the timing of how it works is an issue.

What we have been told is the vast majority of new subscribers do not last past 30 minutes in game.  I do not see effort changing the trial period changing the key issue.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 07:54:12 PM »
Whilst I agree with the sentiment there has been no evidence put forward that the length of trial or the timing of how it works is an issue.

What we have been told is the vast majority of new subscribers do not last past 30 minutes in game.  I do not see effort changing the trial period changing the key issue.

Did they tell you what the key issue is?

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 11:14:08 AM »

You would have to ask those that are leaving in droves.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 03:46:55 PM »
  You can create an account without subscribing.  You can create a non-subscriber, non-paying account.  I created a couple of non-subscriber accounts when I thought I was going to drag some friends and family into a custom arena for some fun.

Alas, I am the only one in my house who is crazy enough about airplanes to stick around.

The two week trial doesn't start until you subscribe.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 03:57:08 PM »
You would have to ask those that are leaving in droves.

No I don't, I only have to ask the person that's talking about it like they know something.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 04:02:02 PM »
  You can create an account without subscribing.  You can create a non-subscriber, non-paying account.  I created a couple of non-subscriber accounts when I thought I was going to drag some friends and family into a custom arena for some fun.

Alas, I am the only one in my house who is crazy enough about airplanes to stick around.

The two week trial doesn't start until you subscribe.

Thank you for the update on how it now works, much appreciated

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 07:52:58 PM »

No.  However I  am applying a basic root cause corrective action principle.   It has been stated previously that new players do not last even an hour.  Therefore, the length or timing of a 2 week trial is highly unlikely to be a causal factor and effort spent in this area is unlikely to yield a benefit.

Your sniping at me in all threads I post in is not adding value.