Author Topic: Delay Two-Week Trial Until First Melee Login  (Read 3940 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Delay Two-Week Trial Until First Melee Login
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 08:02:25 PM »
No I don't, I only have to ask the person that's talking about it like they know something.

No, what your doing is ignoring the issue of why 1000's of people leave before playing for 30 never to return, to snipe at another player.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2019, 09:55:42 AM »
The 2 week trial starts when they first log into any arena.

HiTech

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2019, 10:40:12 AM »
No, what your doing is ignoring the issue of why 1000's of people leave before playing for 30 never to return, to snipe at another player.

I never ignore issues. I asked for the key reason people were leaving. That's the opposite of ignoring the issue. Do you understand the difference between same and opposite? You don't seem to.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2019, 10:52:54 AM »
No.  However I  am applying a basic root cause corrective action principle.   It has been stated previously that new players do not last even an hour.  Therefore, the length or timing of a 2 week trial is highly unlikely to be a causal factor and effort spent in this area is unlikely to yield a benefit.

Your sniping at me in all threads I post in is not adding value.

So your point is that we should fix the actual unknown problem and not waste time talking about anything else.  :D

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2019, 11:27:31 AM »
The 2 week trial starts when they first log into any arena.

HiTech

So it would start if I went to the training arena?  Or one of the F2P arena?

If that is so, then I'll stick with my original suggestion. 

I think there would be benefit if the two week trial did not start until they first logged into a pay arena and that was made very clear to them with an alert. 

You don't want them to feel they have to rush into the Melee before they are ready to avoid wasting their very limited trial period. 

You should play off peoples natural loss aversion by encouraging them to first using the training arena and F2P arena to get up to speed so they don't waste the very limited trial period that starts the second the cross the pay wall.

$0.02.
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2019, 11:49:57 AM »
Trips' idea isn't bad.  I think there might be some merit to possibly having it get used a day at a time.  If I log in today, that's day one of the trial.  If I don't log in again until I log in 3 weeks from now, that's day 2 of my trial.  I'd bet a lot of people get maybe 3 or 4 days out of a 2 week trial.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2019, 12:21:03 PM »
Back then (AH1) you could play on the free H2H arenas and learn the basics. That's how I started along with many other Finns. We were lucky to find some Finnish "tutors" to evaluate our readiness for the paid Main Arena. Without that I wouldn't be here. Nor would we have the Karelia map. The magic words for us were "free until you go to the paid arena".
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2019, 02:42:52 PM »
So your point is that we should fix the actual unknown problem and not waste time talking about anything else.  :D

No.  Go get a book on root cause analysis or perhaps use some of the online resources around the subject.  The goal would be to find the root cause, to turn the unknown into a known and then set about finding a solution to that.

Is the timing or length of the free trial one of the root causes for people not staying for more than an hour?  You can refer to my previous response as to why it is likely not a causal factor.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2019, 02:45:00 PM »

So it would start if I went to the training arena?  Or one of the F2P arena?

If that is so, then I'll stick with my original suggestion. 

I think there would be benefit if the two week trial did not start until they first logged into a pay arena and that was made very clear to them with an alert. 

You don't want them to feel they have to rush into the Melee before they are ready to avoid wasting their very limited trial period. 

You should play off peoples natural loss aversion by encouraging them to first using the training arena and F2P arena to get up to speed so they don't waste the very limited trial period that starts the second the cross the pay wall.

$0.02.

I agree, if it is easy to do then there is no harm in trying it.  I still do not think it is what is stopping people from sticking around though.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2019, 02:57:18 PM »
Reduce it to one week, but only count the actual hours online play-time.  (Not calender days)

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2019, 03:05:45 PM »
20,000 people are given a ticket to ride a train through the USA.  The journey is two weeks long.

19,999 of the people got off at the first station.

Would extending the journey help?

Would starting the 2 weeks of the journey at the 3rd stop help?

No,  for some reason people are interested enough to get on the train but then something makes them want to get off at the first stop.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2019, 03:38:14 PM »
20,000 people are given a ticket to ride a train through the USA.  The journey is two weeks long.

No,  for some reason people are interested enough to get on the train but then something makes them want to get off at the first stop.

It's probably not New Jersey.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2019, 03:52:42 PM »

Don't HUFF!  (just say no!)

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2019, 03:59:24 PM »
...  The goal would be to find the root cause, to turn the unknown into a known and then set about finding a solution to that.

So I should ask what the key issue is? Last time I did that I got harassed.  :noid

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2019, 04:16:53 PM »

I understand your point Fess.

However, it is also possible that they only stayed 30 min because they jumped into the Melee too soon, because they felt they had to because they were already burning their two-week trial, they immediately feel overwhelmed, realize they'll never figure it all out before the trial expires, so fek it.  Close, uninstall.

So my point is maybe we shouldn't set up the reward system to encourage them jumping into Melee before they are ready.  And maybe you can get them to train and practice a little bit first if they feel they are not getting robbed of their trial period by doing so.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 04:24:23 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.