Author Topic: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?  (Read 61524 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: How have we lost so many people to this wonderful game?
« Reply #690 on: February 15, 2020, 09:04:11 AM »
The real truth is AH does not have a people leaving problem. When  AH was at it's peek it normally lost at least 20 players every day.
AH Has been growing slightly in the last few months. Most probably just the normal seasonal change.

AH has a why are new people not subscribing problem.

Solve that (it's what I'm trying to do) then advertising becomes cost effect and we are again off to the races. But almost all the petty whines in this thread have no direct impact on why new people are not staying.

HiTech

What are you looking at to that end? Is there anything the player base could do to help towards that end?

We may be here whining on the boards but for most of us it is because we care and want this game to continue.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #691 on: February 15, 2020, 10:19:21 AM »
Stupid changes like the new x killed x spam messages don't help retention of veteran players.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #692 on: February 15, 2020, 12:09:21 PM »
Stupid changes like the new x killed x spam messages don't help retention of veteran players.

This veteran player is looking forward to seeing it. This is how it was years ago.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #693 on: February 15, 2020, 12:37:41 PM »
Is it that hard to split messages? I got mine broken down and flip through tabs if I need a system message lol.

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #694 on: February 15, 2020, 01:03:59 PM »

https://i.ibb.co/KV68mNc/ah2window.jpg

it works very well as a second window, however there really does need to be a way to seperate it out from the traditional system messages. so only the kill messages go in their own window

ideally id like to see it separated out to its own option, and maybe we can look at how we are displaying info.

a scrolling marque at the top/bottom of the traditional message window would be very nice.

or if we could handle it a bit like call of duty, overlay killername an icon and killedname, 4 icons maybe fighter,bomber,gv,other. display these a bit like the damage display.

"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #695 on: February 15, 2020, 07:19:11 PM »
This veteran player is looking forward to seeing it. This is how it was years ago.

This veteran play saw it years ago, did not like it then........... still hates it now.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #696 on: February 15, 2020, 07:32:49 PM »

Veteran players know it is not new.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #697 on: February 16, 2020, 03:43:12 PM »
The real truth is AH does not have a people leaving problem. When  AH was at it's peek it normally lost at least 20 players every day.
AH Has been growing slightly in the last few months. Most probably just the normal seasonal change.

AH has a why are new people not subscribing problem.

Solve that (it's what I'm trying to do) then advertising becomes cost effect and we are again off to the races. But almost all the petty whines in this thread have no direct impact on why new people are not staying.

HiTech

Sooooo, I’m sure this has been said before, but this is just me brainstorming.

Do any of y’all think the expanse of console games + how easy those games are for people to succeed = anything to do with low new subscriber retention? 

I’m just thinking of how today’s generation of gamers (and I use that term lightly) mostly enjoy the “everyone gets a trophy” mentality and the small learning curves of most of the games I’ve seen. I mean, for Christ’s sake, look at how cheesy Fortnite is, and it’s popular (and free).

I don’t think there’s an easy solution if that might be the case.  I like the learning curve AH had. I like the freedom to create your own fun. And, as a possible returning player (if I can ever get internet and another rig :bhead), I wouldn’t want this game that was a major part of my teen years to become cheesy.

Idk. I’m just rambling, and probably way off, but that’s my question.
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #698 on: February 16, 2020, 04:19:36 PM »
I think that is one of the biggest problems this game faces these days, how many people look to their COMPUTER to play games? Most "gamers" use gaming platforms, NOT computers.

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #699 on: February 16, 2020, 04:31:57 PM »
I think the fact that xbox/ps4 platforms are starting to match the abilities of PC graphics (exceeding AH), has a lot to do with it.  There is a good load of counsel games that are fun, and look good.  This plus the subscription plan would be my guess.

I expect this problem for AH to get worse as time goes on, platforms will evolve futher, games too.  The gap between here and there will get larger.

I really dont know what I would do if I was HTC in this spot.  Probably just ride the wave.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #700 on: February 16, 2020, 04:47:38 PM »
I think the fact that xbox/ps4 platforms are starting to match the abilities of PC graphics (exceeding AH), has a lot to do with it.  There is a good load of counsel games that are fun, and look good.  This plus the subscription plan would be my guess.

I expect this problem for AH to get worse as time goes on, platforms will evolve futher, games too.  The gap between here and there will get larger.

I really dont know what I would do if I was HTC in this spot.  Probably just ride the wave.

Not really, consoles have a terrible sub plan. you buy the game (50-70 bucks), then you have to pay a subscription fee (up to 59 bucks a year) to access online content and let's not forget the different versions of the games you can buy, which can run you up over 100 bucks for the game and micro transactions add even more cost to the game (optional yes, but you know you want it). You are now sitting at about the same price that annual sub would cost here if one were offered. The graphics don't mean a lot of anything if the game play sucks. Console players tend to be trend hoppers when it comes to games. There are those that will play a title until the servers are shut down but by and large the average player will game hop several times within a year if not a few months.

10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #701 on: February 16, 2020, 04:52:27 PM »
Not really, consoles have a terrible sub plan. you buy the game (50-70 bucks), then you have to pay a subscription fee (up to 59 bucks a year) to access online content and let's not forget the different versions of the games you can buy, which can run you up over 100 bucks for the game and micro transactions add even more cost to the game (optional yes, but you know you want it). You are now sitting at about the same price that annual sub would cost here if one were offered. The graphics don't mean a lot of anything if the game play sucks. Console players tend to be trend hoppers when it comes to games. There are those that will play a title until the servers are shut down but by and large the average player will game hop several times within a year if not a few months.

Let’s not forget that each game has a new edition almost every year, so rinse and repeat EVERY year. Call of Duty for instance.
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #702 on: February 16, 2020, 05:01:54 PM »
I think there are plenty of pc players. and there are zero good (realistic)console flights sim games.

I think the problem is as hitech stated getting people to stay after trying it more than anything.

To that end, pushing the vr aspect of the game would be something i would think about. This is actually one of the better vr experiences out there.

Also some way to get new players up to speed, both in terms of game mechanics, control setups, and radio usage may help.

and maybe some slight visual upgrades.
a rework of the graphics system is too much at the moment. but maybe some polishing of how the players see data could help,the visual interface feels old.(and the radio system is kind of akward from time to time)
but even things like some plane info right in the hanger, some stats ,and maybe a little history (also it would be cool to move around the plane in vr in the hanger and we already have the pilot mechanic) it needs to feel a bit more modern.

the perk system also need a rework, its another of those things that feels unfinished. player engagement is important i think.

there are others, and this is just my opinion.
"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #703 on: February 16, 2020, 05:02:30 PM »
Yup, and its theme, population, gameplay and graphics seem too be why it is a constant hit.. still folks playing the old versions too.
Call of duty type games, mentioned above.

They use these platforms to stream TV, movies, etc.

If they decide to get into PC gaming to play Aces High, and they log into the game as it sits for 15 bucks a month, folks rather supply than fight, maps too large for the population, and three countries watering down the action...   they will be on steam within a month trying to find a game making their gaming computer worth it.

I love the game, but the countless hours ive spent here, i can see whats wrong.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 05:15:33 PM by Lazerr »

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #704 on: February 17, 2020, 11:33:30 AM »
I don't know if console players would be a great target market for us.  I don't know if the AH style gameplay is a great fit for console. 

What I think should be our lowest hanging fruit are IL2 players.  The really interesting question to consider is why have we not captured even a nominal percentage of IL2 players.

Millions and millions of copies of the IL2 franchise have been sold.  If we even captured a sliver of that, we should have 10's of thousands of players. 

Those are high-fidelity WWII combat aviation enthusiasts.   If we can't figure out why we haven't lured over a good percentage of them, I doubt we'd have much luck in converting GTA console players.

$0.02.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 11:35:07 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.