Author Topic: ENY/Gameplay Modification  (Read 7189 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: ENY/Gameplay Modification
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2019, 10:58:51 PM »

I think it would be nice if this stopped now.

- oldman

it's a joke, a bad joke, but he thinks it's funny.  that's what I took it for anyway.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2020, 04:16:29 AM »
Well as a Canadian born of Jamaican descend, with German, Spanish and raramuri blood that speaks with a southern accent. I have no sense of humor, I blame the German part of me.

Lack of humor isn't genetically defined, it has to be practiced life-long starting at a very early age to get it right.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2020, 07:31:34 AM »
Lack of humor isn't genetically defined, it has to be practiced life-long starting at a very early age to get it right.

think you missed the joke.

semp

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2020, 05:42:56 PM »
How about this, limit the map time to 3 days and confiscate perks of the map has to be reset by default

Chuikov

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2020, 05:49:55 PM »
think you missed the joke.

semp

Yeah, I think so, too.  Heheheh.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2020, 09:17:54 AM »
Offer still stands.  As many 2-sided maps as you want. 
Free labor just sitting here waiting to be utilized.

:D

:bolt:

This would be the one of the largest problem with the game currently, but ive brought it up several times in the years of the decline of players and gameplay here, and was told the basic concept didnt work 20 years ago without ENY, and other possible tweaks to make it work.  Good luck with that.  I wont waste my time trying to have that conversation with someone who doesnt listen.  Its probably about the only thing that will save it.

Id guess a lot of people come here, and leave after they see the dead sea called our clipboard map.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2020, 09:20:57 AM »
This would be the one of the largest problem with the game currently, but ive brought it up several times in the years of the decline of players and gameplay here, and was told the basic concept didnt work 20 years ago without ENY, and other possible tweaks to make it work.  Good luck with that.  I wont waste my time trying to have that conversation with someone who doesnt listen.  Its probably about the only thing that will save it.

Id guess a lot of people come here, and leave after they see the dead sea called our clipboard map.

Well, at least you finally have some AH3-optimized Lightnings to fly around like Lefty Gardner. 

:bolt:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 10:51:18 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2020, 10:48:53 AM »
This would be the one of the largest problem with the game currently, but ive brought it up several times in the years of the decline of players and gameplay here, and was told the basic concept didnt work 20 years ago without ENY, and other possible tweaks to make it work. 

I'll have to take people at their word that it totally didn't work 20 years ago.  There was also no ENY system 20 years ago, so I don't know if the analogy still holds.  Also, I would have to ask, respectfully, is the current system working to your satisfaction?  If so, then disregard.  Everything is awesome.  If not, perhaps it's time to consider some alternatives.   

However, I divide the argument against into two categories:

1.  It can't possibly be made to work for some magical game-play reason that may or may not still be valid 20 years later. 

2.  The assumption of 3 sides is so intertwined into every line of code though out the system that it would be extremely high risk and effort to change it to be able to configure between 2 and 3 sides formats, at this late stage.

I'll accept #2.  I'm a realist.  Sometimes base assumptions are made at the beginning of a project that lock you in.  Keep that option open on the next game.  ;)

:salute

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2020, 10:52:30 AM »
I'll have to take people at their word that it totally didn't work 20 years ago.  There was also no ENY system 20 years ago, so I don't know if the analogy still holds.  Also, I would have to ask, respectfully, is the current system working to your satisfaction?  If so, then disregard.  Everything is awesome.  If not, perhaps it's time to consider some alternatives.   

However, I divide the argument against into two categories:

1.  It can't possibly be made to work for some magical game-play reason that may or may not still be valid 20 years later. 

2.  The assumption of 3 sides is so intertwined into every line of code though out the system that it would be extremely high risk and effort to change it to be able to configure between 2 and 3 sides formats, at this late stage.

I'll accept #2.  I'm a realist.  Sometimes base assumptions are made at the beginning of a project that lock you in.  Keep that option open on the next game.  ;)

:salute

Two sides seem to work great in FSO.   Yeah, sometimes the balance is off, but the MA would have tools to correct that somewhat.
”KILLER V”

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2020, 11:02:08 AM »
Two sides seem to work great in FSO.   Yeah, sometimes the balance is off, but the MA would have tools to correct that somewhat.

I was going to mention that.  And the planned Combat Tour was of course going to be two sided.  However, those don't make a good argument because they are carefully curated and not open sandbox.

I can't say 2-sides would be guaranteed to work.  However, with the advent of additional tools like ENY, I don't think it can be trivially dismissed.  What you might lose in "ebb and flow"  (which I see plenty of in 2-sided games like Battlefield), you might gain in concentrating the much lower numbers and reducing time-to-action to a level that may seem more appealing to today's market.  And making sure that there is never a great fight on one front, that 1/3 of the players are excluded from.   

However, it very well might be not logistically feasible at this point.  Life is hard.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2020, 11:03:21 AM »
I was going to mention that.  And the planned Combat Tour was of course going to be two sided.  However, those don't make a good argument because they are carefully curated and not open sandbox.

I can't say 2-sides would be guaranteed to work.  However, with the advent of additional tools like ENY, I don't think it can be trivially dismissed.  What you might lose in "ebb and flow"  (which I see plenty of in 2-sided games like Battlefield), you might gain in concentrating the much lower numbers and reducing time-to-action to a level that may seem more appealing to today's market.  And making sure that there is never a great fight on one front, that 1/3 of the players are excluded from.   

However, it very well might be not logistically feasible at this point.  Life is hard.

I have confidence in Hitech's ability to make it work.   I don't think logistics are the barrier.
”KILLER V”

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2020, 11:16:05 AM »
I have confidence in Hitech's ability to make it work.   I don't think logistics are the barrier.

Hmmmm.  I could see it being undoable depending on how things were written.  Or at least a near rewrite with all the attendant risk.

Regardless, it is apparently not under consideration.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2020, 11:17:16 AM »
Hmmmm.  I could see it being undoable depending on how things were written.  Or at least a near rewrite with all the attendant risk.

Regardless, it is apparently not under consideration.

Yeah, that ship has sailed.   But I think Lazerr makes some valid points.  Then again, maybe having 400 players online isn't the goal any more.
”KILLER V”

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2020, 11:19:49 AM »
FSO is not the Main Arena. It has more oversight.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2020, 11:30:04 AM »

sounds like a great idea, two sides work on fso and scenarios. let's try in in there ma. let's plan all week to have objectives and make sure there's furballs for 2 hours on Friday night.  let's make sure everybody registers so we can have even numbers.

i see no reason why it shouldn't work in the ma.

semp