Author Topic: New Players Looking For Trainer  (Read 5571 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: New Players Looking For Trainer
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2020, 12:36:13 PM »
And a noob is going to know how to navigate the radio I suppose.
I'm supprised you're dragging your feet so much on this.  This wish is to help new players get help quickly.  Sorry you see it as a burden to yourself.

Coogan

Do you really believe nothing happens unless I OK it first? 

The issue is staffing. What's your answer to that? Make half the players trainers?

It's pointless to send a message that nobody sees, that's why Hitech is considering a way to email trainers to set up an appointment.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2020, 12:52:15 PM »
Do you really believe nothing happens unless I OK it first? 

The issue is staffing. What's your answer to that? Make half the players trainers?

It's pointless to send a message that nobody sees, that's why Hitech is considering a way to email trainers to set up an appointment.

Why is it bad to have a multi-faceted Help system? Sure, they can use the Help text. It would also be beneficial for people who want to assist to possibly have their icon flagged or something. Of course, it won't stop anyone from just using that for fun, but the intent is that it will make it easier on newer players to find people who are willing to help.

Additionally, there could be a menu like the Roster that allows people to view online and active people who are flagged as available and willing to help. I don't know what you'd call this group of people, can't really call them trainers...

An email to set up an appointment is a step in the right direction, but I imagine most will not be willing to set up a video game training session as they would make a doctor's appointment, though. If someone truly wants to learn and put the time in, they might.

i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2020, 01:10:45 PM »
Who said it's bad? We already have text, video, and training by appointment as well as a help channel for players willing to help within the game.

Now if some players were marked on the roster by an icon or something how would a new player know what that meant?

Why would they even look at the roster?

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2020, 01:14:01 PM »
Who said it's bad? We already have text, video, and training by appointment as well as a help channel for players willing to help within the game.

Now if some players were marked on the roster by an icon or something how would a new player know what that meant?

it's already been explained to you in crayon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2020, 01:23:45 PM »

it's already been explained to you in crayon

You explained that you don't have a way to staff your idea so that it makes trainers more available.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 01:25:26 PM by FLS »

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2020, 01:31:42 PM »
You explained that you don't have a way to staff your idea so that it makes trainers more available.

I really wish we had a crayon font.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2020, 01:32:35 PM »
Why is it bad to have a multi-faceted Help system? Sure, they can use the Help text. It would also be beneficial for people who want to assist to possibly have their icon flagged or something. Of course, it won't stop anyone from just using that for fun, but the intent is that it will make it easier on newer players to find people who are willing to help.

Additionally, there could be a menu like the Roster that allows people to view online and active people who are flagged as available and willing to help. I don't know what you'd call this group of people, can't really call them trainers...

An email to set up an appointment is a step in the right direction, but I imagine most will not be willing to set up a video game training session as they would make a doctor's appointment, though. If someone truly wants to learn and put the time in, they might.

I think all that is great.  I'm not against any of it.

I just know I would only bother with that stuff on a game I already decided to invest a good amount of time in.  So, the sale had already been long sealed. 

From the stats we've seen, half the downloads don't bother even with the trial.  The vast majority of the rest don't stay 30 min.  I don't think they are going to schedule training.  I don't know they would even bother going to the TA and paging a trainer.  I don't think they would sit and watch a bunch of videos or wade through reams of help pages.  Not in that 30 min anyway.  Someone who had decided to stick with the game would.

1.  I wish it wasn't required to create an account right off the bat before even being able to access the offline mission mode.  Maybe that will scare them off too fast.  Letting them go play some missions offline first might make the half that are not bothering with a trial, give it a try.  I'd sure like to go dink around offline before opening an account.  A lot of people don't want to give yet another company their email until they know they are really interested.

2.  I hope that some initial new pilot training walk through that covers the absolute minimum (Get wheels up, be able to use the map, be able to put rounds in the general direction of a target, be able to work the text buffer) would get them past that 30 min barrier.  If they at least know how to work comms, everything else can start from there.

:salute
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2020, 01:35:23 PM »

It can be included in the loading Tips, explained in tool-tips, even as a pop-up when a player enters the arena for the first time, or put at the bottom of the clipboard permanently.

From what I see there is not much of a 'help' presence in the Melee arena where the majority of people are. That's not to say there aren't people willing to help - but often players will feel ashamed or embarrassed asking, whereas a system that showed people who want to help might allow players to reach out directly/privately.

It is tough to provide adequate help in the events like FSO and Scenario while it is running at least. We try our best to at least get them in uniform and let them fly, but since it is a totally different realm than Melee many players don't like it.

I envision something besides the Roster, named 'Find Help' or something along those lines. The icon itself could be tied into the Roster to show in the Roster itself as well.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2020, 01:40:53 PM »
I dare say new players unable to use the text buffer don't even know trainers exist.   It's a position in search of a function.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 02:27:28 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
325th VFG - "The Checkertails"
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2020, 01:44:11 PM »
New players already get pop-up videos. Anybody watched them all?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2020, 01:52:56 PM »
IMO trying to use personal training for a minutes-old new guy account is not the right tool for the job.

That early, the explanation needs to be mostly automated, and instant.  Personal trainers being instantly available 24/7 might be possible, but it's inefficient AF.

IMO it should go something like guy logs in, goes through automated "What button/axis do you want to use for this?" and walk them through to the point they've got something along the lines of at least up/down, left/right, start engine, shoot gun, raise gear, views, rudimentary clipboard usage and how to use text.  If they mess it up, there should be an option to go through it again at any point.

Help channel needs to be on by default, the new guy needs to be directed to it, and the mods need to police it for people being aholes on it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2020, 01:59:12 PM »
... and the mods need to police it for people being aholes on it.

Wouldn't people being aholes on it be part of the required training?
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2020, 02:00:45 PM »

A menu option to the clipboard could be added called "trainers". Clicking this link should flip out the CB side panel and list all trainers that are currently online. Each name should be a hyperlink that sends the chosen trainer a pop-up stating " Pilot A requests training". It should also have two buttons 1. "Yes" once clicked, the requestor and the trainer are loaded in to the TA at the same field. 2. "No" clicking this will prompt you to send a PM to the requestor letting them know why you can't train them.

Allow players the ability to mark themselves available to train via a pop up when they load in to a server. If they click yes, they get added to the available trainers list for the duration of their session.

It's not rocket science but it would impede on your forum badge.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2020, 02:11:15 PM »
FLS just tell him it is a great idea and you will get right on implementing it into the game.
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2020, 02:24:14 PM »
FLS just tell him it is a great idea and you will get right on implementing it into the game.

Great idea Bug.  :aok

A menu option to the clipboard could be added called "trainers". Clicking this link should flip out the CB side panel and list all trainers that are currently online. Each name should be a hyperlink that sends the chosen trainer a pop-up stating " Pilot A requests training". It should also have two buttons 1. "Yes" once clicked, the requestor and the trainer are loaded in to the TA at the same field. 2. "No" clicking this will prompt you to send a PM to the requestor letting them know why you can't train them.

Allow players the ability to mark themselves available to train via a pop up when they load in to a server. If they click yes, they get added to the available trainers list for the duration of their session.

It's not rocket science but it would impede on your forum badge.

Here's a simpler idea. The new player learns about the help channel on the first auto play video and uses the help channel to ask for help. Players and trainers wishing to help in-game tune to the help channel.