Author Topic: Do not underestimate the power of name in lights.  (Read 9778 times)

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
Re: Do not underestimate the power of name in lights.
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2020, 01:53:13 PM »
Works well unless you are colour blind.

touche, i have a buddy who is. he recommends using one of the available software filters to make the entire pc experience a bit better.
maybe https://www.ryobi-sol.co.jp/visolve/en/

this just shifts the colorblind colors to ones you can see for everything. meaning you never miss out on details because you cant see the color.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 01:54:51 PM by toasted »
"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2020, 01:59:37 PM »
Disable it for gvs.. one or two spawn camps ruins the buffer.

Unfortunately, that is gv play these days.
Ground Pounders ...

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2020, 02:46:52 PM »
I gave it a chance but really this thing needs to go. It ruins the communications inside the country. Most people won't turn them off, so me turning them off won't solve the problem. Besides I want and need the other host messages and would also like to see the landed kill/destruction messages in order to be able to congratulate fellow countrymen. HT has a great point and I'm all for improvements, but this just doesn't improve anything in it's current form.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2020, 03:00:57 PM »
Please tell me everyone knows about the tilde key.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2020, 03:04:52 PM »
Please tell me everyone knows about the tilde key.

I'll bite.  I know where it is, what does it do in game?

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2020, 03:10:52 PM »
I'll bite.  I know where it is, what does it do in game?
It expands the "window size" of the chat buffer. You can set it to show 2 lines of text, then hit tilde key and it expands to as many lines you want. Click and drag the edges and such till you see what you want. While I had the "2 window" option up, the tilde key would shrink one and expand the other.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2020, 03:22:07 PM »
oh yeah that.  I remember that now.

The problem is that does nothing to address the problem which is people are complaining they are getting spammed by the system and are not able to effectively filter out the unwanted spam. Making the window bigger or smaller is irrelevant.

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2020, 03:25:11 PM »
I turned kill messages on in the melee arena. They had been turned off do to buffer flooding when we had +400 people in an arena.

My suspension is it will have a significant game play impact.

HiTech
Out of curiosity, how was the angst, wailing and rending of clothes when you first turned the feature off years ago ?
As bad as this weekend ?
Ground Pounders ...

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2020, 04:08:00 PM »
is there a manouver kill message as well ? ;)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2020, 04:17:48 PM »
FWIW I like the kill messages, but playing in VR I usually have this window moved out of sight, and only glance at it when I need too.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2020, 04:32:47 PM »
Are you just trolling or seriously don’t get it? I will spell it out for you then. Two things, 1st The message window acts as a mini-hud.

The mini "heads up display" is in the top right of your screen, not in the chat buffer.

The less you have to look down, the better, basic in real world cockpit management! You know finer nuances of combat n all.

familiarizing yourself with the cockpit of the aircraft you chose to fly to gain a better understanding of basic cockpit management. You know, for the nuances of combat n' all?

2nd, the window is great source of intell but if it scrolls hella fast, you miss it.

Y'all are making it sound like the text is going warp 9. You can always use the ~  <----- Tilde Key to expand the chat buffer to retrieve what ever information you might need, right?

I won’t get into it but so and so landing x damage or kills or cv such and such was just moved, tells me a lot more than so and so killed somebody and now has his second kill etc. It has been years, I mean a lot of years since this was system was used? No real complaints from me however, I for one, simply don’t see the need

The "Useless" Pilot A killed Pilot B text is far more important than you realize. This speaks volumes to someone logging in to the arena to gauge server activity. Before this was enabled again, you had a pretty stagnant chat buffer with the usual chat messages: Player X moved a CV, Player X landed some points, base X was captured by country X. Those don't necessarily show that there is a lot of activity. It shows that a few people did a couple of things.

Take the rolling Player X killed Player X and combine it with Player X moved a CV, Player X landed some points, base X was captured by country X and you have a very detailed and current situational understanding of what is actually happening in the arena.

These complaints also kind of disprove the "I can't find a fight!" crowd as the complaints have been all about how the "Kill notifications" are spamming the chat buffer. Cause' let's face it, if you couldn't find a fight the kill notifications would be silent, right?

:salute

10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2020, 05:20:08 PM »
I know about the tilde key! Anyway, Lazer just explained how open multiple windows. It works about perfectly with host messages in a separate window. No need to cry anymore.https://imgur.com/a/L1FZJLF
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 05:27:00 PM by mora »

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2020, 05:25:37 PM »

Looks to me AH is taking another step towards being an arcade game... and away from being a combat simulation.

Not being a member of the Furballers - Spawn Camper Club I don't care for this return of a new/old feature.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301

Offline BBQsam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2020, 05:29:55 PM »
I know about the tilde key! Anyway, Lazer just explained how open multiple windows. It works about perfectly with host messages in a separate window. No need to cry anymore.

Hi there mora <Salute>   What do you mean "open multiple windows" ?  Is there a way to have 2 different text buffer windows open at the same time??
(note: I do know how to have multi tabs of different text buffer types)
"I have really only one simple rule,
Give more to the game than you take away."
Zoney  December 23, 2009  ahbbs
--------------------------------------------------
<Salute> Pipz    September 27, 2017   RIP

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2020, 05:31:00 PM »
Me neither but I'm fine with as there is an "opt out" after all.