Author Topic: Fuel tanks; Internal & External use priority  (Read 2759 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Fuel tanks; Internal & External use priority
« on: May 03, 2020, 08:26:55 AM »
Is there info available related to the priority of fuel tank usage for the various in-game aircraft? Thanks

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: Fuel tanks; Internal & External use priority
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 10:12:51 AM »
The fuel gauge tells you the fuel use priority.

If you mean the alleged benefits of manual fuel control I'm not aware of any charts for all the aircraft.

I'd suggest testing to verify any claims of superior handling.

I've never seen any data or video evidence comparing the differences.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 03:30:55 PM »
Max,

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but some A/C pay a price in drag if you use a DT and others dont. The racks are always there on most US planes so you dont have a drag penalty if you add a DT,well the DT adds drag but once you drop it then there's no drag. If that makes sense.

Most the German planes needed a rack to carry a DT so even after you jettison the tank you still have a drag penalty from the rack. IIRC only the TA152 has the rack as standard so you are best off not loading a DT to a German plane unless you really need it.

Hope that helps.

:salute

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 04:42:53 PM »
Its the same with Rockets and Bombs on some planes too? I have heard it talked about, but dont know for sure. The "Added Drag" Penalty :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 05:13:43 PM »
 I’m not speaking so much in terms of drag, but should I manually change the default usage. I’ve heard it’s best to use  top tank first in a Spitfire and the bottom tank comes up first by default. I believe the FW 190s also want to be swapped out in terms of default, yes? Any other situations concerning fuel usage I should be aware of?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 06:25:58 PM »
How does the top or bottom tank change the center of gravity with respect to the center of lift?

I think you should try both aircraft both ways and let me know if you notice a difference.   :aok

Offline TryHard

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 06:39:20 PM »
I like to drain the left wing tank in the F4U-1D first and leave the right tank full until the main tank is empty to help with the torque roll in turn fights.

other than that the automatic control works pretty well, for instance the P51 is known to handle quite poorly with the AUX tank full of fuel and this is what the automatic system uses first.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 07:01:11 PM »
I like to drain the left wing tank in the F4U-1D first and leave the right tank full until the main tank is empty to help with the torque roll in turn fights.

other than that the automatic control works pretty well, for instance the P51 is known to handle quite poorly with the AUX tank full of fuel and this is what the automatic system uses first.

F4U-1A.  :D  :cheers:

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 07:50:59 PM »

Good info, thanks :salute

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 10:42:26 PM »
F4U-1A.  :D  :cheers:

Arlo is correct, it's the F4U-1A (and birdcage corsair) that have internal wing fuel tanks. The F4U-1D only has the one main internal fuel tank. 
Burning the left wing tank in the corsair is suppose to improve the roll rate when you are full of fuel. I can't say if it does or not because I have been doing it for as long as I can remember, and have nothing to judge not doing it against.

For the most part the automatic system works well. One thing you can do is research the individual planes you enjoy flying and see what the actual pilots manual has to say. http://www.zenoswarbirdvideos.com/ can be a great source for WWII training films

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 09:10:09 AM »

You roll in a turn fight when you stall one wing first, generally from adverse yaw. The correction for adverse yaw is with the rudder. 

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 02:21:08 PM »
How does the top or bottom tank change the center of gravity with respect to the center of lift?

I think you should try both aircraft both ways and let me know if you notice a difference.   :aok

Spitfires have very odd stall characteristics if draining the bottom first. They almost become as coookey as a P39 to fly.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 08:26:45 PM »
Could you be more specific? Curious about the details.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 05:54:53 AM »
I’m not speaking so much in terms of drag, but should I manually change the default usage. I’ve heard it’s best to use  top tank first in a Spitfire and the bottom tank comes up first by default. I believe the FW 190s also want to be swapped out in terms of default, yes? Any other situations concerning fuel usage I should be aware of?

The forward tank in the 190 is burned first
Aileron tanks on the 38 are burned first
"Show me on the doll where the bad man touched you"---Betty

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 08:06:07 AM »
In the 190 The AFTer should be drained first, in F then the MIDdle. Draining the ForWarD tank first like the Spit's TOP tank causes oddities in handling especially on the knife edge.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho