Author Topic: Need $1,000 gaming build for my daughter  (Read 4989 times)

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: Need $1,000 gaming build for my daughter
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2020, 08:19:47 PM »
Yes, you plug it in and it works.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2020, 02:37:46 AM »
The external drives usually work directly on Windows. For Mac they have to be reformatted. https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8200 tells you how, and even how to make it work on both.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2020, 08:50:45 PM »
Please note that Bizman's parts list assumes you already have a keyboard, mouse, and monitor.  If you are upgrading, you probably already have these, but if you're not it will make for an awkward and disappointing finish to the build...

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2020, 07:47:53 AM »
She had already ordered all that before she even asked me to build one for her.
I could have done all the research myself but that would have taken longer as I dont stay on top of what it the latest and I know folks here enjoy such things so.
We are just waiting on the motherboard and Video card.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2020, 10:53:47 PM »
Well..Its alive.
The Mother board and VC FINALLY arrived on Thursday night. Cant say I am super impressed with the service of Newegg these days.

In any event. This is the case she went with and one of the reasons for my post.
Nice case. Fans are VERY quiet especially when you consider how many there are. . Over all a near silent machine..nice Pretty too if you are into the circus of lights bit. Personally. I dont see the point but... to each their own.
Id put up pics of the actual build but I see there is noplace to upload pictures here. I have to admit it looks pretty though as she got a keyboard and desk to match

If anyone else decides on this case (which comes in several colors) a couple minor down sides and things to keep in mind

Downside 1 is we had to get an external CD/DVD  drive as this case provides no place for it

Downside 2 is the wiring for the case and fans is a jumbled mess and you may want to re route some things just to tidy it up.

Thing to keep in mind. If you are running a modular PSU  do not install the PSU first Get everything in to the case. Plug in the CPU power connector before installing the board into the case. there is VERY little room to fit your hand in if you dont. It can be done. I did it..twice.  But you would be better off having one of your kids plug it in.
In any event.  Once you have the board in run the wiring back from the mother board  back to the PSU THEN install the PSU into the case. That in itself is a tight fit because right next to it is where the 3.5 drive bays are.

Oh why I did the CPU power connection twice?
Because the first time I plugged the machine in, then flipped the switch on the PSU, then pressed the bottom on the top of the case..nothing happened. So. I started unplugging then plugging things back in again before I realized that the power switch wasn't on the top of the case. But in the front. The button on the top of the case is to adjust the led light show DUHH.

https://www.amazon.com/Apevia-Crusader-F-PK-Full-Size-Tempered-Frostblade/dp/B07TWNNSW6
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2020, 11:01:01 PM »
CD/DVD was phased out years ago.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2020, 01:12:43 AM »
Half the hardware I got came with installation CDs As well as the OS itself
OS
Motherboard Drivers
Video card Drivers.

Would have been kinda hard to install those things without a drive

Not to mention I like keeping  options open and  we also have quite a view movies on DVD she and I like to watch from time to time.
Some older software too.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 01:15:23 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2020, 08:53:37 AM »
Looks nice, in a stereotypical girlish way  :aok
Fans are VERY quiet especially when you consider how many there are. . Over all a near silent machine
That's the good old recipe for a quiet system: More and bigger fans. The more and bigger they are, the slower they need to rotate for a given amount of air to be moved.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2020, 11:23:37 PM »
Pretty rig. Just wish I had taken a picture two ours earlier before she started cluttering it up.
I give it a month before there is barely enough room to move the mouse

Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2020, 11:24:58 PM »
Eeeghads.
Id shrink it if I knew how
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2020, 01:40:31 AM »
That shelf under the tower is a life saver for computers! Even on a hard floor a mere 3" makes a big difference in the amount of dust gathering inside. However, I've repaired a computer with a fried PSU that had been on a similar shelf above a hard floor, a rug being in front of the table. The case was half full of dust, the bunny type!

As for making images smaller I use two tools. One is built in into Windows: The Snipping tool makes a small footprint image of the size you see on your screen, allowing for instant cropping and usable even on stopped videos: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-10-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots. I've also used the Image Resizer, first the original PowerToys version and later the fork: https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

Kotisivuni

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2020, 08:56:05 AM »
Eeeghads.
Id shrink it if I knew how

Modify your post and insert width=800 into the image tag: [img width=800]http://bklah abh akakblah.jpg[img]

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2020, 08:06:50 PM »
That shelf under the tower is a life saver for computers! Even on a hard floor a mere 3" makes a big difference in the amount of dust gathering inside. However, I've repaired a computer with a fried PSU that had been on a similar shelf above a hard floor, a rug being in front of the table. The case was half full of dust, the bunny type!

As for making images smaller I use two tools. One is built in into Windows: The Snipping tool makes a small footprint image of the size you see on your screen, allowing for instant cropping and usable even on stopped videos: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-10-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots. I've also used the Image Resizer, first the original PowerToys version and later the fork: https://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/

I made the shelf with some scrap I had laying around the shop. Im really not impressed with the fan on the bottom designs that are popular in cases now. Heat rises last time I checked and always felt the PSU should be on top even if for no other reason then its less heat that would be passing by the PC components
Not only that but the PSU on top makes it far easier to access if needed

I would have made that shelf anyway even on a hard wood floor. But since there is venting under the case as well I figured it would be especially important on carpet being as carpet can act as an insulator
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2020, 08:10:22 PM »
Modify your post and insert width=800 into the image tag: [img http://width=800]http://bklah abh akakblah.jpg(Image removed from quote.)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 08:13:40 PM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2020, 08:13:47 PM »
It dont want to work.. the hell with it.
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty