Author Topic: The future of the game: let's help write it  (Read 12789 times)

Offline Bixby

• Copper Member
Re: The future of the game: let's help write it
« Reply #165 on: August 07, 2020, 09:05:06 PM »
S&H green stamps. I remember them.  :)

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2020, 01:36:44 PM »
What about a welcome back player thing like WW2 online does. When they roll out something new, or for some reason the come up with, they email all the players who have previously played and offer them 2 weeks free play to get them back in the game.

They also offer free to play with basic items. Maybe some 40 ENY planes would be doable? They could earn perks but they'd have to subscribe to spend them.

What about a squad dedicated to showing new players the ropes? When I new player signs up he's automatically on the roster of this new squad.

Just some ideas to throw out there.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #167 on: August 08, 2020, 09:15:01 PM »
there was a player yesterday that for a couple of kept complaining about the lack of fights, i had been on for a few hours and since i logged in was fighting here and there and everywhere.

some people just like to complain, he could have been in probably a lot more action than me as we were both in the same country.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Propilot

• Zinc Member
« Reply #168 on: August 09, 2020, 12:05:57 AM »
I think a welcome back email would work well in getting some old guys back, especially as they’ll get to see the new stuff that comes to the game

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #169 on: August 09, 2020, 12:39:28 AM »
if i remember correctly a lot of years ago htc sent emails to old players, some reported as spam, more some isps just automatically report as spam.

semp

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #170 on: August 09, 2020, 12:43:45 AM »
there was a player yesterday that for a couple of kept complaining about the lack of fights, i had been on for a few hours and since i logged in was fighting here and there and everywhere.

some people just like to complain, he could have been in probably a lot more action than me as we were both in the same country.

semp

You have to define what "lack of fights" is. To you it seems like a good set of fights is about 1 every 20 minutes or so last tour. To me and maybe many other 1 fight every 5 minutes is more to our liking. Id be happy dieing or landing 10 flights every hour. You are happy with 3. Some people..... and Im thinking MANY more are looking for much more action than what your happy with.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #171 on: August 09, 2020, 02:25:00 AM »
You have to define what "lack of fights" is. To you it seems like a good set of fights is about 1 every 20 minutes or so last tour. To me and maybe many other 1 fight every 5 minutes is more to our liking. Id be happy dieing or landing 10 flights every hour. You are happy with 3. Some people..... and Im thinking MANY more are looking for much more action than what your happy with.

well let's just define last night. we had a cv close to the port we took it, they sank ours, but we got the port cv, for more than 2 hours there was fights in the air, lots of bombers trying to get our cv, lots of fighters, gv's trying to take the port, so maybe not 5 minutes but less than 10 could get you into a fight. that lasted untill everybody logged off, I was the only one protecting the cv.  they took it.  but lack of fights was not the issue with this guys, he just wanted to whine and complain. most fights were at less than 6k, we killed lots of them, they killed lots of ours.

so that's how it was.

semp

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #172 on: August 09, 2020, 02:33:24 AM »
right now there's 15 players I keep getting my butt handed back to me, it take about 10 minutes to get into a fight.  i upped a tank, 2 tanks chased me, upped a fighter, damn fighter shot me down, I went out of my way to not find a fight and guess what, they came after me.  so guess what, there's fights even with 15 players.

semp

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #173 on: August 09, 2020, 03:46:59 AM »
right now there's 15 players I keep getting my butt handed back to me, it take about 10 minutes to get into a fight.  i upped a tank, 2 tanks chased me, upped a fighter, damn fighter shot me down, I went out of my way to not find a fight and guess what, they came after me.  so guess what, there's fights even with 15 players.

semp
GREAT JOB...in Devastating the "Can't find a fight" argument!   Seems as if, since AH went to V.3...folk lost there memories? NOE....SAME AS IN AH2..why dont we see these missions like before? EVERY SINGLE ITEM that matches the same Iteration from AH2 still works :cheers:
 Love Ya Brother,
  ULcapkid/BW1stpar     PS...Sorry about your Pony, last evening  :rofl Quit trying to kill my "Wing Woman" (Mindy)  :rofl  Stall Fighting in Pony's....AWESOME GREAT FUN! I almost screwed up...Better Lucky Than Dead :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #174 on: August 09, 2020, 08:41:06 AM »
well let's just define last night. we had a cv close to the port we took it, they sank ours, but we got the port cv, for more than 2 hours there was fights in the air, lots of bombers trying to get our cv, lots of fighters, gv's trying to take the port, so maybe not 5 minutes but less than 10 could get you into a fight. that lasted untill everybody logged off, I was the only one protecting the cv.  they took it.  but lack of fights was not the issue with this guys, he just wanted to whine and complain. most fights were at less than 6k, we killed lots of them, they killed lots of ours.

so that's how it was.

semp

Yup last night was fun. I flew until 2 AM eastern. Knights were about 2 bases away from the win when I logged (damn I should have sat in the tower for the perkies!  :noid) but it was smisles map. A nice small map that funny enough forces the players together. Even then for the first hour or so it was hard to find a fight as the Bish and Rooks were really going at it. So much so that the knights rolled a bunch of Rook bases which is why we were on the verge of winning the map.

Big maps spread out the play too much, far to many places to hide.

semp

None of this sounds like a fight to me. It all sounds like hunting for a fight. Picture a newbie being stuck in this loop. 10 minutes to a "fight" to get "my butt handed to me". Ganged by a couple of tanks, "upped a fighter, damn fighter shot me down". All of this is no "fun" and that is what is going to get players into the game and to STAY with the game.

You being happy with what you have isnt going to help get players into the game. Accepting the fact that what you are ok with isnt nearly enough for many other players. The point of this thread is to look for way to improve game play, not to point out how things are just fine because it is the way you play.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #175 on: August 09, 2020, 10:54:09 AM »
i don't understand Fugitive, name a time a new player won't get killed alot.

my point was about the returning player that just kept complaining about being unable to find a fight while the rest of us were in a fight.

semp

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #176 on: August 09, 2020, 11:27:59 AM »

The good old kills per time stat.  Really sums up the flying habbits of most people.  There are some exceptions to that, but generally it paints a pretty good picture.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #177 on: August 09, 2020, 11:44:48 AM »
The good old kills per time stat.  Really sums up the flying habbits of most people.  There are some exceptions to that, but generally it paints a pretty good picture.

I remember one sortie where I did not get a single kill.  But over the course of about 10-15 minutes I broke six or seven attacks on my team mates, and then I got shot down.  Even though I got no kills, I considered it a successful flight.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #178 on: August 09, 2020, 12:09:18 PM »
I remember one sortie where I did not get a single kill.  But over the course of about 10-15 minutes I broke six or seven attacks on my team mates, and then I got shot down.  Even though I got no kills, I considered it a successful flight.

all i got yesterday was a proxy, still had a lot of fun.

semp

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #179 on: August 09, 2020, 02:24:59 PM »
i don't understand Fugitive, name a time a new player won't get killed alot.

my point was about the returning player that just kept complaining about being unable to find a fight while the rest of us were in a fight.

semp

It has nothing to do with a new players getting killed, it has to do with the number of fights.

There are fewer and fewer fight these days, mostly due to the lower numbers. Add in the fact the a good majority of players today do everything they can to avoid a fight.

Like Lazer said, a decent barometer to how often players where in fights is the Kill/Hour numbers. Checking back to tours 70 or so I was close to getting 10 K/H and Im not that good. Im sure some of the big names that were really good were closer to 25+. This is because there were more players, more fights, and the game play was more geared around fighting be it defending your buffs, head to head in fighters or even GVs. Today we have less players, more runners and more bailers, not to mention far less GV battle royals.

Thats great, IF you like failed pick attempts   :D  Just kidding, but to many that type of play just isnt fun, much like semps style of play. While its fun for you guys it is boring for many others.

So I see no problem with a returning player complaining about there not being any fights. Getting involved in 1 fight every half hour is no where near what we had before when a lot of these guys where having fun. Many players have left because of the lack of these continual fights on one side of the map or the other.

To get this game back to a semblance of what it was things are going to have to be changed to help generate more fights. Perks for completing missions, incentives for squads to take new guys in and train them, even protect them so they dont die so much and get frustrated, maps made smaller to force players to interact, maybe a "team general" that posts missions that need to be completed in a Message of the Day type platform, it could get players to work together for some goal or another.

This is what the game needs, the same old same old isnt working all that well any more.