Author Topic: Aces High Modeler  (Read 5974 times)

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Aces High Modeler
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2020, 07:18:39 AM »
There is so much more involved in creating/designing a new plane for aces High

Research on the plane type, plane flight performance characteristics, etc.... All actual historical documented information

The easiest part to creating the new plane type is actually the modeling/skining of the plane....

It is the gathering of historical authenticated documents and information that is the hardest part so HTC can build the new plane model and get it as close to the actual real-world model as possible

Figured that I would add this reply to the discussion since no-one has bothered to mention anything about it yet

Hope this helps

TC

Yeah, and HiTech can do all that by himself. What he can't do is create 3D models.
Fuji asked the question that many of us have been thinking for a long time now - Is Waffle still at HTC? Considering that the last plane to be updated was the Boston in February of last year, it's a fair assumption that HTC is a one man show now. Can't update or add new planes without a 3D modeler.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2020, 12:51:16 PM »
It's a good bet that if Waffle left HTC, they would let us know.

There is so much more involved in creating/designing a new plane for aces High

Research on the plane type, plane flight performance characteristics, etc.... All actual historical documented information

The easiest part to creating the new plane type is actually the modeling/skining of the plane....

It is the gathering of historical authenticated documents and information that is the hardest part so HTC can build the new plane model and get it as close to the actual real-world model as possible

Figured that I would add this reply to the discussion since no-one has bothered to mention anything about it yet

Hope this helps

TC

As Devil pointed out, all the "numbers" that go into the aircraft to make her work is something entirely different.  HiTech could change the Jeep to have it fly like a 163 if he wanted.  Wasn't there Sharks with laser beams attached to their heads???  I've only been around to mess with The Claw, but I recall some posting a Super Fokker, hearing of an RV-8 with twin gatlings as well.

There is no point in discussing how the model will handle, only how she looks and if she meets HiTech's criteria.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2020, 03:15:07 PM »
If someone creates the model, I am sure hitech could plug the numbers in. The hang for me would be all that work as a one man show.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2020, 03:54:37 PM »
Models when damaged too.....
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2020, 11:01:17 PM »
Models when damaged too.....

sure, and i don't know how ah3 handles things, but it wouldn't surprise me to need multiple models of the same plane in different levels of detail.

but even then interiors are still probably the most time consuming part.

i bet we could find some people to volunteer to do textures.
and yes, the coding side would still have to done by hitech.

I mean yeah we wouldn't get a whole new plane set immediately, but a few a year should be doable.
"fly as far as you can into the crash"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2020, 05:25:53 AM »
Two weeks each.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2020, 02:03:39 PM »
Two weeks each.

I mean yeah, maybe.
I do know how much work this actually is.
Also I have a day job. (But the circumstances are such that i have free time in front of a very good pc quite often)
And yes, i will freely admit to being a bit rusty at dedicated game models, so will take me just a bit to get back up to speed doing them.
(but not too bad, i have done them in the past, and i keep up to date on the latest techniques and software. Also a good portion of my job is reverse engineering cad models from things. And i use a lot of the same tools now as i did then.)
but i am 100% confident i can do it as well as most mere mortals.(though i'm not sure anyone will ever be up to Chalenge's level)
the first one would be the hardest, setting limits on what could and could not be done, and general formatting.
I think 3 or 4 a year is a reasonable number to shoot for all things considered.
yes it would be great to do more, but i'd like to set some reasonable goals.

And honestly, I would even pay Chalenge's monthly fee every month as a consultant. if he wants to lend me his expertise and keep me from doing stupid things we have to fix later.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2020, 02:54:08 PM »
I already said that I don't think Hitech is up to supporting outside modelers like 3DS Max, so until he says otherwise it's pointless to speculate on what we might be up to doing.

I can model, rig, animate, texture, retopo, . . . but I do not intend to spend money on Multigen.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2020, 03:10:33 PM »
Just send HiTech a message and ask the man. :old:

I'm sure he will reply to those questions candidly, ending speculation.
"So far the score is Gunzo 237 - Skyyr 0"
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline toasted

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2020, 05:17:07 PM »
I already said that I don't think Hitech is up to supporting outside modelers like 3DS Max, so until he says otherwise it's pointless to speculate on what we might be up to doing.

I can model, rig, animate, texture, retopo, . . . but I do not intend to spend money on Multigen.

you are once again correct. We actually have no idea if hitech's production workflow would play nice with input from 3ds max. and even if it did that may not be the thing that kills the idea.
I'm not even opposed to picking up the cost for a license or two of his software if we have to. at least in the short term to see if we can work around it easily.
It's more likely the other complexities that would kill this idea.
having said that, i would be willing to make a side wager that 3ds max was capable of outputting models that could be easily converted to a format the game engine could deal with.

I was merely spit balling the idea, and offering what i was willing to do.

and i probably shouldnt have even offered in public, but i got excited.
I am perfectly happy not to force a response from hitech. He is free to take me up or not, There are pros and cons to consider from each end.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2020, 06:02:14 PM »
you are once again correct. We actually have no idea if hitech's production workflow would play nice with input from 3ds max. and even if it did that may not be the thing that kills the idea.
I'm not even opposed to picking up the cost for a license or two of his software if we have to. at least in the short term to see if we can work around it easily.
It's more likely the other complexities that would kill this idea.
having said that, i would be willing to make a side wager that 3ds max was capable of outputting models that could be easily converted to a format the game engine could deal with.

I was merely spit balling the idea, and offering what i was willing to do.

and i probably shouldnt have even offered in public, but i got excited.
I am perfectly happy not to force a response from hitech. He is free to take me up or not, There are pros and cons to consider from each end.

You're obviously skilled.  You should msg Hitech in private and ask if there is anyway you could assist with anything. 
Resources are tight, but skilled volunteers might be able to help.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2020, 12:13:10 PM »
That's pretty damn impressive toasted!

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2020, 07:47:31 PM »
Wow, very nice toasted!   :salute

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2020, 01:15:52 PM »
Issues.

One of the reasons it is difficult to switch modeling is because Open Flight supports tagging of polygons. While it is possible to group all like tagged polygon into objects and then put the attributes on the object for all children. It creates a large number of nodes to keep track of in the model.

Moving components.

Open flight animation is designed for flight sims. Animating control surfaces and landing gear would have to be completely rewritten to work more in line with 3d studio.

When we do modeling we purchase models of the type toasted showed. From there it was typically 1 to 2 months worth of full time work to complete all the pieces of a model. The cockpits take as much or more time then the external shape.

Muiltiple LOD's must be created of the mesh.

We already do import support 3d studio , we use its format for our pilot and troop animations.

Detailing: Many things are put into a model that you do not see. Things like attachment points so we know where to put weapons on the plane.  Both live and dead pieces of planes. Bullet holes view points. Animation limits.

So I am not saying it could not be done, but creating a completed mesh is much more involved then simply creating a shape like toasted posted.

HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2020, 02:20:01 PM »
It's always simple for folks who do not do it.

I am glad all I have to do is pay my fee and have fun. I don't have to run someone else's company or worry about their bottom line.

Thanks HiTech!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)