Author Topic: 1st Lt. Charles Seal - P-51D "The Shawnee Princess'" (640) - 506th FG, 462nd FS  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Waltz41

• Zinc Member
Nice work!  Thanks for giving the VLR pilots some love! 

A quick little side note to his mission if anyone is interested, this is a transcribed letter from Seale to his wife, explaining his ordeal.

Letter # 85    July 13, 1945
Dot darling – Yesterday was Friday the 13th, and it turned out to be quite an eventful day for me.  It finished with another ripcord to add to my collection. 

Now before I go any further, I am alright, and none the worse for wear, excluding a slightly sunburned nose.  Only a few days ago you wrote me of reading about a pilot from here being picked up at sea and you added that was the sort of stunt you expected from me.  Well, darling, I fulfilled your expectations – what more could you ask from your devoted husband? 

A public relations writer took quite a lot of details of my little adventure, so you may ready about this in the news before you get this letter.  I hope you won’t jump to any hasty conclusion, dear - - I am definitely OK.

Now perhaps you’d like to get the story firsthand.  I was returning from a raid on Chichi Jima when my engine got rough and began to deteriorating, and my coolant boiled out.  You know these engines won’t run without coolant and I became painfully aware of it, so I went over the side.  Nice trip down – nice dip, and nice boat ride back!

I was in my little dingy almost three hours, and planes were circling over me all the time until I was picked up.  I vomited up the excess sea water in my stomach, and laid back in my cradle to await the rescue.  After about two hours of waiting, I pulled the cover over me to keep out the sun and spray – and dozed off!  Some time later, I was awakened by a light impact on my back.  The rescue vessel had sneaked u, thrown me a rope, and scored a direct hit.  I had drifted to within five miles of a small island that still had some Japs on it.  On board the ship, I got a shower, some dry clothes, and some sunburn salve.  Soon, I was in another sack, in the Captain’s bunk to be exact, and dozed until supper time.  So my usual daily quota of “sack time” was not seriously interrupted.

Now, just a bit of the rather unpleasant details of the reason for bail out.  On the target, we were making diving, rocket-firing passes, more of less in a string.  The plane in from of me blew up on the diving run, and I flew through some of the debris before I could avoid it.  Some of the flying metal must have been picked up by my coolant scoop, causing a puncture of a coolant line.  I didn’t realize anything was wrong until 20-25 minutes later, when my coolant began boiling over.  It was too late then to take corrective measures, so I went over the side.

I understand I am entitled to a membership in the “Sea Squatters” Club, and I am sending my application tonight.

….

I love you, Frank

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Nice work!  Thanks for giving the VLR pilots some love! 

A quick little side note to his mission if anyone is interested, this is a transcribed letter from Seale to his wife, explaining his ordeal.

Letter # 85    July 13, 1945
Dot darling – Yesterday was Friday the 13th, and it turned out to be quite an eventful day for me.  It finished with another ripcord to add to my collection. 

Now before I go any further, I am alright, and none the worse for wear, excluding a slightly sunburned nose.  Only a few days ago you wrote me of reading about a pilot from here being picked up at sea and you added that was the sort of stunt you expected from me.  Well, darling, I fulfilled your expectations – what more could you ask from your devoted husband? 

A public relations writer took quite a lot of details of my little adventure, so you may ready about this in the news before you get this letter.  I hope you won’t jump to any hasty conclusion, dear - - I am definitely OK.

Now perhaps you’d like to get the story firsthand.  I was returning from a raid on Chichi Jima when my engine got rough and began to deteriorating, and my coolant boiled out.  You know these engines won’t run without coolant and I became painfully aware of it, so I went over the side.  Nice trip down – nice dip, and nice boat ride back!

I was in my little dingy almost three hours, and planes were circling over me all the time until I was picked up.  I vomited up the excess sea water in my stomach, and laid back in my cradle to await the rescue.  After about two hours of waiting, I pulled the cover over me to keep out the sun and spray – and dozed off!  Some time later, I was awakened by a light impact on my back.  The rescue vessel had sneaked u, thrown me a rope, and scored a direct hit.  I had drifted to within five miles of a small island that still had some Japs on it.  On board the ship, I got a shower, some dry clothes, and some sunburn salve.  Soon, I was in another sack, in the Captain’s bunk to be exact, and dozed until supper time.  So my usual daily quota of “sack time” was not seriously interrupted.

Now, just a bit of the rather unpleasant details of the reason for bail out.  On the target, we were making diving, rocket-firing passes, more of less in a string.  The plane in from of me blew up on the diving run, and I flew through some of the debris before I could avoid it.  Some of the flying metal must have been picked up by my coolant scoop, causing a puncture of a coolant line.  I didn’t realize anything was wrong until 20-25 minutes later, when my coolant began boiling over.  It was too late then to take corrective measures, so I went over the side.

I understand I am entitled to a membership in the “Sea Squatters” Club, and I am sending my application tonight.

….

I love you, Frank

:aok

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Fantastic. 

Great info. 

I have a soft spot for the VLR gang.   Unsung heroes.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Thanks for posting that Waltz41, an interesting read.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Outstanding V.  With your history on the bird and Waltz added history the aircraft is a story within itself.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Thanks Hajo.  Yeah, between Lyric1 and Waltz41 there aren't many knowledge gaps left unfilled.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Waltz41

• Zinc Member
You guys are welcome. 

Another little side story..... Lt. Marklin, as mentioned, basically had his P-51 explode mid air.  Many years later at a reunion, Seale was talking to a crew chief and somehow that mission came up.  The crew chief told him that he was pretty sure that was the first mission they used rockets on, and that was also why they went to Chichi, more of a training run for them.  He said he thought that the probable cause for Marklin exploding midair on the attack run was most likely a faulty wiring of the rocket launchers.  They were brand new and basically the men had little training on them being installed.

Offline Palace Cobra

• Copper Member
This is amazing.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Thanks, PC.  And thanks for the other compliments as well.

Good info, Waltz.   Poor Marklin.    Dang. 
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 09:29:42 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
While discussing one of Oboe's Mustangs I discovered an error in my description.   This is a -25 not a -20.

Lt. Charles Frank Seale / Capt. Stanley C. Zagorsky
P-51D-25-NA "The Shawnee Princess" / "Empire Commuter" (640)
S/N 44-72620
506th FG, 462nd FS
Iwo Jima - July 1945
”KILLER V”
The Damned