Author Topic: ww2 tech vs modern tech  (Read 3702 times)

Offline Scared

• Zinc Member
ww2 tech vs modern tech
« on: August 13, 2020, 01:32:03 PM »
I was just sitting here thinking. I watched a video someone posted about p-47's the other day. It blew my mind. I guess I have taken technology for granted. I wonder if the planes we have today are really as great of a technological achievement as the ones we had 70 years ago. I mean think about this: today we have complicated computer simulations to model EVERYTHING about the design..before there is even a prototype! Back in the day they had freaking blue prints...paper...wind tunnels and little models. I mean I am no expert on this stuff, but I did think about this stuff. I hope you can get what I am saying. I guess I am just in awe of engineering and precision. How the hell did they pull this toejam off without computers? I guess the same could be said for the cotton gin or the Antikythera mechanism or other such things. Being an idiot at math...I am absolutely in awe of engineers. no edibles..just swag. <S>  :rock

« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 01:41:08 PM by Scared »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: ww2 tech vs modern tech
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 02:35:05 PM »
Engineers back then were amazing. They are a dime a dozen now. The good ones are few and far between today.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 02:42:27 PM »
I was just sitting here thinking. I watched a video someone posted about p-47's the other day. It blew my mind. I guess I have taken technology for granted. I wonder if the planes we have today are really as great of a technological achievement as the ones we had 70 years ago. I mean think about this: today we have complicated computer simulations to model EVERYTHING about the design..before there is even a prototype! Back in the day they had freaking blue prints...paper...wind tunnels and little models. I mean I am no expert on this stuff, but I did think about this stuff. I hope you can get what I am saying. I guess I am just in awe of engineering and precision. How the hell did they pull this toejam off without computers? I guess the same could be said for the cotton gin or the Antikythera mechanism or other such things. Being an idiot at math...I am absolutely in awe of engineers. no edibles..just swag. <S>  :rock

I agree completely.  Being a math Neanderthal, I’ve always been amazed by the technology that these genius engineers have come up with, especially the WWII aircraft.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 02:55:18 PM »
Let me introduce you to the slide rule AKA the slipstick.... the computer of past generations.  :D

I still have one. LOL
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 07:12:23 PM »
You're only old if you insist on having a slide rule on your computer.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 09:47:45 PM »
I agree completely.  Being a math Neanderthal, I’ve always been amazed by the technology that these genius engineers have come up with, especially the WWII aircraft.

Always keep in mind that in this era of airplane design, much was achieved through experiment. As an example the Supermarine Spitfire, the brainchild of R.J. Mitchell was the result of a few redesigns and largely based upon his experience with the Schneider Trophy seaplanes.
The other factor was cost. There was a war approaching and there was plenty of Government money to build prototypes... if they worked, they sold... if they didn't, they were scrapped or modified.
I have the greatest respect for the engineers of today that can digitally design an airplane and know that it will fly properly when the first flying example is built.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Scared

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 11:46:14 PM »
i dont know i feel like I have branded myself as a moron, but I am still in awe. The technological singularity is coming and I hope I am dead before it happens.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2020, 12:23:23 AM »
Always keep in mind that in this era of airplane design, much was achieved through experiment. As an example the Supermarine Spitfire, the brainchild of R.J. Mitchell was the result of a few redesigns and largely based upon his experience with the Schneider Trophy seaplanes.
The other factor was cost. There was a war approaching and there was plenty of Government money to build prototypes... if they worked, they sold... if they didn't, they were scrapped or modified.
I have the greatest respect for the engineers of today that can digitally design an airplane and know that it will fly properly when the first flying example is built.

...and then there’s the timeless Mustang designed by slide rule and pencil.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 10:24:29 AM »
Take a look at something simple, like a pen.  Look at how and why it works.  Think of the design process that went into that simple device. 

Now look at your computer desk.  You put each thing in a specific place for a specific purpose.  In some cases, that thing is in that specific spot just because that's where it landed.  But your mouse, keyboard, and joystick are in specific places because that is what works best for you.  Expand that process thousands of times and that is what engineering is.

A big Salute to the people who design things and make them work. 
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Ashley Pomeroy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 02:44:42 PM »
I've long been fascinated with the Pilatus PC-9:

It's a turboprop sold as a trainer but also as a light attack aircraft - it's the closest thing to a modern-day WW2 fighter. The performance figures are actually less impressive than late-war aircraft but I assume it's cheaper, lighter, more reliable, and probably a lot more capable in the air-to-ground role. My hunch is that WW2 designers almost reached the upper limit of what you could do with a propeller aircraft, and if jets had never been invented most innovations post-WW2 would have been incremental.

A while back I read Richard Rhodes' The Making of the Atomic Bomb, and that gave me a renewed respect for what people could do in the first half of the century. Atomic physics essentially began with people shining radiation sources through pieces of gold foil with slits cut in them, and looking at tiny particles with microscopes. The early experiments were unbelievably primitive by modern standards.

The thing that really struck me was the construction of Fat Man. That was an implosion-type bomb. The idea of packing explosives around a central core and detonating them at exactly the same fraction of a second - so that the shockwave forms a perfectly spherical implosion wave that travels through the uranium core - sounds hard enough but was fiendishly difficult with 1940s technology. It required input from a pool of explosives experts, in addition to the pool of chemical experts that developed the uranium refinery, plus the atomic experts.

It really brought home how hopeless the German and Japanese bomb-making projects were. They would never have been able to refine uranium and it would have taken years before they could assemble a bomb because they simply didn't have the mass of experts required (and their enrichment plants would probably have been bombed into oblivion).

I understand that fusion weapons are designed so that the interior of the case focuses the explosive shockwave of the fission stage so that it implodes the fusion stage, which again is extraordinary for the 1950s. Imagine the theory that went into designing a case that could - for a tiny fraction of a second - reflect the force of an atomic explosion, and the manufacturing precision required to not only construct one of these devices, but thousands of them.

And make them robust enough that the radiation doesn't fry the circuits, and shockproof enough that the ground crew can handle them. Also shockproof enough that they can be blasted into space on an ICBM and then withstand re-entry. Hard science! It's fantastic.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 02:52:57 PM by Ashley Pomeroy »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 03:17:05 PM »
Today you could not keep it secret here. Too many folks living here that hate Americans and our country.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Cluzig

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 02:25:02 AM »
I've long been fascinated with the Pilatus PC-9:
(Image removed from quote.)

It's a turboprop sold as a trainer but also as a light attack aircraft - it's the closest thing to a modern-day WW2 fighter. The performance figures are actually less impressive than late-war aircraft but I assume it's cheaper, lighter, more reliable, and probably a lot more capable in the air-to-ground role. My hunch is that WW2 designers almost reached the upper limit of what you could do with a propeller aircraft, and if jets had never been invented most innovations post-WW2 would have been incremental.

A while back I read Richard Rhodes' The Making of the Atomic Bomb, and that gave me a renewed respect for what people could do in the first half of the century. Atomic physics essentially began with people shining radiation sources through pieces of gold foil with slits cut in them, and looking at tiny particles with microscopes. The early experiments were unbelievably primitive by modern standards.

The thing that really struck me was the construction of Fat Man. That was an implosion-type bomb. The idea of packing explosives around a central core and detonating them at exactly the same fraction of a second - so that the shockwave forms a perfectly spherical implosion wave that travels through the uranium core - sounds hard enough but was fiendishly difficult with 1940s technology. It required input from a pool of explosives experts, in addition to the pool of chemical experts that developed the uranium refinery, plus the atomic experts.

It really brought home how hopeless the German and Japanese bomb-making projects were. They would never have been able to refine uranium and it would have taken years before they could assemble a bomb because they simply didn't have the mass of experts required (and their enrichment plants would probably have been bombed into oblivion).

I understand that fusion weapons are designed so that the interior of the case focuses the explosive shockwave of the fission stage so that it implodes the fusion stage, which again is extraordinary for the 1950s. Imagine the theory that went into designing a case that could - for a tiny fraction of a second - reflect the force of an atomic explosion, and the manufacturing precision required to not only construct one of these devices, but thousands of them.

And make them robust enough that the radiation doesn't fry the circuits, and shockproof enough that the ground crew can handle them. Also shockproof enough that they can be blasted into space on an ICBM and then withstand re-entry. Hard science! It's fantastic.

Boy I never ever thought I'd see an Irish A10 aka a Pilatus on these forums.
We even have them fitted with one 50 cal. I'd say a p39 had more firepower. We don't even have jets.

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 10:11:34 AM »
Today you could not keep it secret here. Too many folks living here that hate Americans and our country.

You've been spewing a ton of ignorant crap here the last year or so, but this my be the most ignorant statement you've made yet.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 09:02:25 PM »
You've been spewing a ton of ignorant crap here the last year or so, but this my be the most ignorant statement you've made yet.

Your ignorance is not mine. I stated a fact.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Online Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 09:49:28 PM »
Your ignorance is not mine. I stated a fact.

Looks like an ignorant opinion to me.

But I'm game. If it's fact, then please post some sources. I'll wait. 
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com