Author Topic: Unable to start/load game immediately after dl & install  (Read 2581 times)

Offline vanecek

• Zinc Member
Unable to start/load game immediately after dl & install
« on: September 01, 2020, 12:44:52 PM »
Has been years since I played, downloaded game from Aces High (not steam), installed, etc.  When I start the app, or even run as administrator I get an all white loading screen with the title Aces High III DX11 in the top left and then it immediately closes.

Originally I tried downloading and installing to an extra hard drive, same issues, so I tried this time just to accept the default C:/ installation directory suggested by installer.

I have also tried firing up the dx 9 version, same issue.

I have attached my dump file, and according to dxdiag i am running version 12 which I assume is backwards compatible.

According to windows event viewer i get this error:
Faulting application name: aceshigh11.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f493c04
Faulting module name: aceshigh11.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5f493c04
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00259687
Faulting process id: 0x2ca4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d68086a89d8bfe
Faulting application path: C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High III\aceshigh11.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High III\aceshigh11.exe
Report Id: f0427d32-8361-4529-9802-fc4d1a4a5495
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Offline vanecek

• Zinc Member
Re: Unable to start/load game immediately after dl & install
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 02:15:21 PM »
Oh and it's 9900k cpu and 1080 gtx, not running a toaster or anything like that over here... I'll try updating graphics drivers, maybe couple other things I can think of.

Offline vanecek

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 02:51:37 PM »
dxdiag

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 03:15:40 PM »
I searched on the error code that is being thrown and found this:

https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/how-to-fix-error-code-0xc0000005-in-windows/

Has some useful steps you might take. 

Offline vanecek

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 03:48:16 PM »
Yeah unfortunately that looks like a pretty generic windows error, I tried the sfc scan utility to fix corrupt files.

What's strange is that I am able to open all of the other Aces High tools (mission editor, etc.).  I tried updating my graphics driver, but i'll try updating all of my other drivers as well. Not sure, not really having any issues with any other games or apps on my pc.

Offline vanecek

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 03:54:38 PM »
Hey I don't need a joystick plugged in in order to log in, check roster, etc.?  I seem to remember there being something weird about that.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 04:15:09 PM »
No, you shouldn't need a joystick or peripherals plugged in to login.  I think you're supposed to be able to play with just a mouse.   

I think if were me, I'd run a Windows memory diagnostic check, and CCleaner to fix any registry problems.   Always good to have current drivers, too. 

Does this problem occur in any other games or programs?

You could also try loading the game with just one memory stick installed.   Then try the other by itself. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 04:42:46 PM by oboe »

Offline vanecek

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2020, 04:54:12 PM »
Ok, ran memory diagnotic check, all good.  Ran CC all good, downloaded latest sound and chipset drivers from gigabyte. Recently updated graphics driver.  Tried sfc scan utility, maybe ill try a few other things tonight.

No, not having any issues with my system whatsoever, except for Aces High game launcher.

Maybe more details in the dump file, ill grab an app to look at that tonight maybe.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2020, 06:29:12 PM »
The dump file is likely only useful to HiTech.

Are you running any anti-virus?

The only thing I can think of is try reinstalling the download or try a fresh download.

Offline vanecek

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 10:28:20 PM »
I am just running Windows Security, I turned all that off same result.  Re-downloaded, re-installed, appears to be the same error.

I have a nice laptop 1660 ti so that should be enough, i'll give that a shot tomorrow.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 02:20:01 AM »
Did you have any preinstalled anti-virus on your system? If so, there may be some junk left. If you're not sure, there's tools that scan for any a-v and provides their specialized removers. I've recently found this to be very handy: https://antivirus-removal-tool.com/. Instead of having to search through various locations for any a-v it does a scan. The actual removal tools are the latest ones from each and every a-v manufacturer so there's no counter-engineering involved.

Another question: When reinstalling, have you downloaded a fresh version or used the first download? In the case of the latter, there may be a glitch in the downloaded package. I ran into that issue myself with a Linux distro which wouldn't boot from the stick. The new download was actually smaller than the defective one! Since there's no checksum the only way is to redownload and try again, maybe checking if there's any difference in the sizes of the downloaded files.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline vanecek

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 07:38:27 AM »
No, no pre-installed stuff here, built this one myself and stayed away from all that.

Yeah I deleted the launcher/installer and re-installed completely from scratch.

It fired up on my laptop just fine, but I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if there is anything else you want me to try or test.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 08:50:03 AM »
You could try disabling the nvidia audio driver.

Also unplug your USB devices and anything else you see that's different from your laptop.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 09:26:17 AM »
What other graphically-intensive 3D games have you tried?  Just wondering if it could be a problem with the video card...

Offline vanecek

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2020, 08:19:51 PM »
Oh quite a few, PUBG, Hell Let Loose, etc.   I'll take a look at nvidia sound drivers, I'm guessing some weird driver compatibility issue as I play quite a few games.  It works fine on my laptop and I was able to convince a friend to try.  I'll try to figure this out some more if I can get my buddys to like the game.