Author Topic: Re-set the 2-week trial after a year (or 6 months?)  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Re-set the 2-week trial after a year (or 6 months?)
« on: November 09, 2020, 10:40:20 AM »
If someone want's to give the game another go after a year, I'd say let them. Might be enough to convince them it's a great game!

Cause right now, even if you come back after a year or two, it'll still say that you've already had a free 2 weeks. Sometimes life gets in the way and they can't fly again after their first try and they end up wasting their free two weeks.

Or maybe make it time based? Say, free 64 hours of flying?
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Re-set the 2-week trial after a year (or 6 months?)
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2020, 10:57:58 AM »
Heck.... have them hunt for Shuffler to get extra time. I sure won't have to look for fights.  :devil
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2020, 02:44:53 PM »
If someone want's to give the game another go after a year, I'd say let them. Might be enough to convince them it's a great game!

Cause right now, even if you come back after a year or two, it'll still say that you've already had a free 2 weeks. Sometimes life gets in the way and they can't fly again after their first try and they end up wasting their free two weeks.

Or maybe make it time based? Say, free 64 hours of flying?

I'm certainly not opposed to this. I think after a period of time, the 2 weeks trial should be given back. This will allow long time players to recheck out the game again without having to pay. It would being more players into the game. Thus making the fights better. I believe a player who hasn't played in while will be less likely to pay the $15 to play for a month if they don't get another shot to play the game for free. I think you have more benefits to having more players in the game giving them another chance rather than them not trying the game again because of the $15 barrier. To me its a psychological thing that would be beneficial.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2020, 04:12:56 PM »
If 15 bucks is a barrier they should save their money for their next meal.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 09:23:11 AM »
If 15 bucks is a barrier they should save their money for their next meal.

There's are zillions of games for free. $15 for one month is steep for a competitive advantage in today's market. After 4 months you have already purchased most other games and can play them for "free" for ever. I think that's one of thr draw backs to the subscription model.

Honestly, if I sucked at AH like I do in Halo. It would be hard for me to keep payin.

I think any promo to get old players back into the game is good.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 09:26:41 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 10:09:46 AM »
There's are zillions of games for free. $15 for one month is steep for a competitive advantage in today's market. After 4 months you have already purchased most other games and can play them for "free" for ever. I think that's one of thr draw backs to the subscription model.

Honestly, if I sucked at AH like I do in Halo. It would be hard for me to keep payin.

I think any promo to get old players back into the game is good.

Funny how some folks are so generous with other folks hard work and money.

No game is actually free.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 10:17:32 AM »
No game is actually free.

I know people who have thousands of hours into various games and have not paid a penny. Just because you don't play any free games doesn't mean they don't exist.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 11:46:25 AM »
I know people who have thousands of hours into various games and have not paid a penny. Just because you don't play any free games doesn't mean they don't exist.

But they were sold for money......

Game developers do not work for free. They like to eat too.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 12:09:28 PM »
I find it funny that people, well some, complain about taking 10 or 15 minutes to fly to a fight.

then they go play a game that takes that long just to start the engine.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 12:39:24 PM »
But they were sold for money......

Game developers do not work for free. They like to eat too.

You normally have to take risk and pay more money to upgrade your business and get new customers. That's just how it works. Whether it be commercials or software upgrades, or promotional sales ect. Re-allowing a 2 week free trial after a year or so probably wouldn't hurt the business cash that badly, but may aquire a subscriber for another 2-3 months after that. More people in the game create better fights and thus create more subscribers who want to partake in bigger better fights. More people playing the games creates a healthier supply of subscribers.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2020, 03:17:07 PM »
+1

Imo there are probably a lot of former players that think about the game every now and then. They remember the learning curve and how much effort will go into getting close to where they once were. Then they think well what if: I don’t like the changes made to the game, don’t like the game play tactics, don’t have a computer/vid card that has kept up with graphics of AHIII, etc...

When I came back in the early summer I was having fun, but couldn’t remember BFM/ACM and had to decide is it worth the time and effort to get back to where I was...

And yes $ plays into that, 15$ a month to come back maybe worth it to many former players, but if they could get 2 weeks again to see it might go a long way. Just my .02
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 03:40:45 PM »
You normally have to take risk and pay more money to upgrade your business and get new customers. That's just how it works. Whether it be commercials or software upgrades, or promotional sales ect. Re-allowing a 2 week free trial after a year or so probably wouldn't hurt the business cash that badly, but may aquire a subscriber for another 2-3 months after that. More people in the game create better fights and thus create more subscribers who want to partake in bigger better fights. More people playing the games creates a healthier supply of subscribers.

I know business....  :D 
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 07:13:13 PM »
Oh and also +1 to the J2M being added

Yah I know it’s an  :old: wish...
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 08:59:06 AM »
I’m mostly thinking of younger players, especially if we want to recruit new blood. Most of us who fly are nearing retirement or already are.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 12:31:41 PM »

Do you realize what your are stating "probably wouldn't hurt the business cash that badly" is a non starter? If the net effect of Reset of 2 free weeks is a positive , it would not hurt cash.

But the analysis you need to look at is.

1. Previous players downloads AH tries to create an account. Sees 2 week free is not available and leaves.
2. Previous player tries AH , pays for one month, and then leaves.
3. Previous player tries AH , pays for one month, and stays.
4. Previous player tries AH 2 weeks free,and then leaves.
5. Previous player tries AH 2 weeks free and stays.

I believe these are the only 5 possibilities.

My guess is that anyone in case 5 would also be in case 3.
And anyone in case 4 would also be in case 1.

And hence would not be a net gain but a net loss.  Because anyone who is going to stay would not be deterred by the lack of 2 free weeks. And anyone who is deterred by the lack of 2 free weeks would not stay anyway.

HiTech