Author Topic: Whats the best joystick? Logitech 3d keeps having issues  (Read 3428 times)

Offline OkieOkie

• Zinc Member
Whats the best joystick? Logitech 3d keeps having issues
« on: August 31, 2021, 01:34:19 PM »
I'm currently using Logitech "Extreme 3d Pro". I know part of the problem is I get in combat and overwork the js until I wear it out but I don't think I have ever completely set it up correctly with proper damping, & all things correctly assigned in the options window. After a month, this one lists to the left. Tried correcting but messed up the settings so bad I'm going to re-install AH3 as a way to start over. I don't see a specific folder I can just delete to get 'everything' back to default.

1) What is the best joystick for AH3?
2) Are there some complete directions / tutorial for how to set up the joystick completely?

Thanks
Okie

Offline Mayhem

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Re: Whats the best joystick? Logitech 3d keeps having issues
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 08:44:55 PM »
Best .... Virpil or VKB

For Virpil the Constellation Alpha or a Virpil Mongoos CM2 Grip on a warbrd or CM2 Base. For VKB the Gunfighter Mk.III ‘Modern Combat Edition.

As an honorable mention I have to toss out the WinWing Orion which is an out and out TM: Warthog killer for a lower price but they are hard to get.

Virpil is hardest to set up due to software, VKB is much easier, Wingwing is probably easiest.
"Destination anywhere! So Far Gone, I'm almost There."
The Damned! (Est. 1988) Damned if we do - No fun if we don't!
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline OkieOkie

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 09:39:58 AM »
THanks I'll check those out. Any thoughts about Thrustmaster?

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 09:46:38 AM »
T1600 is the best bang for the buck these days IMO.
Used one in between the last X52 setup and my current warthog

I use the thrustmaster throttle that is the mate to the T1600 with the warthog

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 10:42:32 AM »
I have a Logitech X56 Rhino, I love it.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 04:19:48 PM »
I think the CH Fighterstick is worth a mention too - look around online for a good used one if $ is a factor.

I have a large hotas collection and many years of playing online/offline with them.

I have 6 Virpil sticks, 8 grips, 4 of their throttles, their collective heli units, 5 different custom rudder pedals, 2 VKB Gfighters, 4 TM Wartogs, 2 Cougars, and a pile (a collection of Hotas since 1998 and before) of other Hotas, 20 stick/rudder combos of Saitek and the like.

Every Stick/Hotas/Rudder combo has it's pros and cons.  Budget is extremely important regarding the OPs question IMO.  I've picked up NiB CH Fighterstick and throttle combos online here in Canada for very little $ - like $30 USD for both (I can post pics of all of this stuff..again).  Something along these lines is what I'd recommend, again, if cost/price is a large factor.  If it isn't, as Mayhem recommended, Virpil or VKB are the best options at the moment.

Regarding TM Warthogs.  It's a great HOTAS, but eventually, the stick will get the "sticktion" issue, and will require you to take it apart, replace the ring, completely clean it, re grease it properly, and then reassemble.  Of the 4 TM WH sticks I have, 3 have had this happen in varying degrees of time and use.  Also, their customer service is in France, and in my experience, a GIANT PITA.  That said, many love the TM WH, and it isn't a "bad" choice, but for the price now...go with VKB's Gunfighter, or Vipil's 2 options, depending if you want to play on the desktop or off of a desk clamp setup.

You also have to consider your throttle and pedals setups, or at least the stick you want's ability to control these axis. 

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 04:20:41 PM »
oops, DP.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 05:24:01 PM »
T1600 is the best bang for the buck these days IMO.
Used one in between the last X52 setup and my current warthog

I use the thrustmaster throttle that is the mate to the T1600 with the warthog

Eagler

I'd love to continue to saying that the T16000M is a great stick, but the fact is that the Z-axis (twisty stick input)on my last 2 sticks has been fubar within 2 months of purchase. In each case, I used the sensor cannibalized from the very first T16000M I bought 7-8 years ago to fix the issue.

Otherwise, the stick will last about 3 years before the trigger, hat switch, or throttle wears out. Not bad for what was usually a $60-70 stick.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 06:15:24 PM »
I'm a few years into a VKB Gunfighter with MCG-Pro grip. Can't imagine a better stick. It's super bullet proof constructed, precise and super smooth. It's hyper configurable with different cams, springs and dampers. Change what you want to make it your own. The software isn't the easiest to deal with but if you can think of something you want a button or hat to do.... It'll prolly do it. Once you get the hang of it you're fine. It cost more than a few bucks but I don't think I'll ever be buying another stick.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 08:55:42 PM »
I'm a few years into a VKB Gunfighter with MCG-Pro grip. Can't imagine a better stick. It's super bullet proof constructed, precise and super smooth. It's hyper configurable with different cams, springs and dampers. Change what you want to make it your own. The software isn't the easiest to deal with but if you can think of something you want a button or hat to do.... It'll prolly do it. Once you get the hang of it you're fine. It cost more than a few bucks but I don't think I'll ever be buying another stick.

Agreed- so long as the budget supports it.  You truly get what you pay for with the VKB (Virpil as well), in fact more IMO. 

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2021, 06:59:56 AM »
Should add using rudder pedals so no twisty function experience with any jstick

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 10:11:11 AM »
Love my VKB with MCG grip.   :aok   Was also happy with CH stuff and still use their Pro pedals & Pro throttle, but has been mentioned in past threads their quality control has apparently been very bad since they were bought out..

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 10:18:37 AM »
For pedals I have MFG Crosswinds. They're also very well built, smooth and precise. They have toe brakes too. All contactless sensors. Get the damper mod too, I did. Took them to another level of precision I didn't think was possible.

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Cluzig

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 12:04:14 PM »
Should add using rudder pedals so no twisty function experience with any jstick

Eagler

The exact part which usually gives way in all cheap sticks, those pedals might have saved u a lot.

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2021, 09:23:39 PM »
If money is no object, I have found the VKB MCG Ultimate grip/Gunfighter base combo to be the perfect grip/stick for me.
I can't find a flaw with the hardware.
The configuration software can be tricky/confusing to learn if you need to customize the control maps/functionality, but once you learn, it can do just about anything you want.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!