Author Topic: Noticed the Change in Arena Dynamics Yet?  (Read 488 times)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
Noticed the Change in Arena Dynamics Yet?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2000, 04:40:00 PM »
Ruh Roh!!

Ok.. The bombs are no longer lazer guided... seems that about 2 outta 10 miss, all drop parameters being equal. Also; quite often one 250lb bomb on a hanger does not destroy it. Another pass has to be made to get it. No single pass assures full field closure... And yes; chances are good that a precision attack from 12k will get 'em first pass; but there are no assurances! Further; buffing from higher than 13k GREATLY reduces accuracy and effectiveness. If that buff wants to do it right he needs to be at about 10-12k. Easy  meat for a high cap.

Further; cruising a front and closing fields by hitting hangars is a viable tactic.. I use it to isolate the field I wish to hammer and capture or to shut down an attack in progress commin from that field. By first hitting the fields adjacent to the one I intend to attack and capture; I isolate it and greatly improve my teams chances of getting a goon in and capturing.. I think the way it's set up right now is just fine. Teamwork is a must; timing and coordination is a requesite for success now.

Lastly, if yah wanna stop buffs from closing a field; it seems reasonable to expect that you have to put up a CAP to protect it. Also viable tactics. The system is not and should not be responsible for a good field defense; the TEAM is. If your team has no defensive high CAP; you may lose the ability to use that field fer 30 minutes. If they make it harder to kill a fields defenses; then that field oughta remain closed for a LOT LONGER than 30 min!

Just my humble opinion....

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2000, 07:49:00 PM »
Hi all

Yep, I agree in general with all comments here basically.  Okay, Hangars are pretty easy to kill, though as mentioned it wouldn't take much to disable a real hangar anyway, and not more than 500lb.  BTW, airfields had dispersals to stop their planes being bombed in hangars as it was only those that were mainly under repair in hangars.

As for ack, yep, less accurate which proves more of a challenge, though even if you miss an ack with a 500lb bomb by a short distance it still doesn't blow it up (or kill what would be the person that manned it).  Hmm, think about it!  Perhaps with added fragments/shrapnel will destroy acks in future which could mean more acks!  

Very good show in all!

Regards

'Nexx'
NEXX

Rojo

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2000, 10:40:00 AM »
Ripsnort: Replicant's correct; combat ready aircraft were not kept in the hanger, ever.  It was too big of a target and offered no portection.  Serviceable aircraft were dispersed -- in three-sided revetments (earth or sandbagged berms as high as 10 feet) or under some kind of natural cover, such as trees.  In Germany late in the war, a thick treeline adjacent to the take-off/landing field (paved runways were by no means the norm for dispersal bases) was a prerequisit for a fighter base. So concealment, physical protection, or both were used to make it harder to destroy your a/c on the ground.  The hangers, if the base had any, were used as a place perform major servicing out of the weather.

The question then IS one of gameplay, as Replicant noted.  Brand-W is planning on adding parked aircraft (as ground objects) to airfields in version 3.0.  Destroying the parked a/c will affect aircraft availability at the base. Having them in revetments would make destroying them harder, since a direct hit would be needed to destroy an aircraft protected thus.  I'd like to see bases use multiple revetments for fighters and perhaps the single hanger for bombers as spawn points.  The fighter revetments would be harder to destroy, as a rule, then the bomber hangers.  A larger field should have many revetments (10 or more), while small fields might have only 4.  Food for thought.

------------------
Sabre, a.k.a. Rojo
(S-2, The Buccaneers)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2000, 10:58:00 AM »
Rojo, and as I pointed out, AH does not replicate parked A/C, but those that are parked in hangars.  Thus, a 250 lb. bomb would certainly disable A/C at an airfield.

Rojo

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2000, 02:48:00 PM »
Rip, Rip, Rip...I don't dispute that a single 250kg HE bomb would wreck a WWII-style hanger, and the ONE or TWO aicraft they could realistically hold. The point Riplicant and myself are trying to make is that a single bomb currently has an inordinate impact on gameplay when dropped on a single hanger in AH, i.e. it completely disables all a/c of one type at that field.  So the choices are to add more targets to the field that need to be destroyed to disable a/c, or make the single (or double in the case of fighters at the big fields) hanger target harder to kill.  The later is a solution that can be implemented immediately, while the former would require new terrain.  I'd also like to see damage to the runway as an alternate means of disabling a/c launching.

------------------
Sabre, a.k.a. Rojo
(S-2, The Buccaneers)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2000, 02:52:00 PM »
I see your point now, granted, my arguement was  a single bomb CAN destroy a hangar, now that you've explained it in terms that a thick-skulled neanderthal like me can understand, yes! I agree, more hangars  than just 1 should be damaged or tougher to disable A/C.

I understand that in this patch, its tougher  to drop a hanger, not sure if  that means one has to have 1000'lber or not.

[This message has been edited by Ripsnort (edited 04-14-2000).]