Author Topic: Pitbulls  (Read 1990 times)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Pitbulls
« on: October 23, 2022, 04:59:08 AM »
All pitbulls should be sterilized and the sale of pitbulls needs to be banned. I used to be on the fence about this. But the real stats on pitbulls is shocking.

Two pitbulls that the family had for 8 years without incident attacked and killed an infant, a toddler and put their mom in the hospital to be sewn back together.

https://wgntv.com/news/nexstar-media-wire/mother-tried-to-shield-children-killed-in-memphis-pit-bull-attack-family-says/

Couple of troubling, revealing points.

1. These dogs were never mistreated, they attacked their own family. Contradicting the argument that pitbull violence is a result of pet mistreatment.

2. Both of the dogs attacked. Contradicting the argument that it’s not the breed, just individual bad apples that are harmful.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Pitbulls
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 07:12:22 AM »
We have a pit for over 5 years now..have you ever owned one?

She is the most loving dog I  have ever owned and I have had dogs 60 of my 63 years

She is also the strongest dog I have ever owned

Two dogs of any kind react differently than one when excited ... same here

We read that story and it both sickened and concerned us

But do you know how many pits don't attack their owners?

How many have saved their lives?

They are not poodles or frenchies...

They are more like a gun imo

You would have the same problem with us if you tried to take either

And at the same time pits nor guns are for everyone

There are also different types of pits...and pit owners..

note..I would be hesitant to have a pit around small children...and especially two or more as they can excite themselves ...but you can add chow and other breeds to that list imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022, 07:45:38 AM »
Used to have this argument with Betty incessantly
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022, 09:04:54 AM »
What is a pit bull? A staff,English bullterrier,English staffordshire terrier or the apbt?

Most real fighting dogs won’t bite humans as they lost their heads for doing so,a handler had express written permission to dispatch any dog that bit a handler.

Most dog that are so-called pit bulls are a mixed breed and therefore are mutts.

I have shown,trained and bred various fighting breeds for over 40 years now. At present I have a dangerous Frenchie and a 90lb English bulldog,the frenchie will bite as it’s in their nature to do so. The English will only bite or attack on command. None of the various fighting breeds I raised would do either and were gentle souls.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 09:40:57 AM »
Some dog bite statistics (U.S. data - not worldwide), to compliment the anecdotal information.   Source: https://www.coloradoinjurylaw.com/dog-bite-statistics/

Dog Bite Fatalities By Breed
Pitbulls are responsible for the vast majority of fatalities associated with dogs.  From 2010 to June 2021, there were 430 fatal dog bites, with 185 of those coming from pit bulls, and another 41 that were pit bull mixes.

60% had pit bull in their bloodlines (either full-blooded or a mix)
7% had Rottweiler in their bloodline
4% had German shepherd in their bloodline

Top Three Breeds Responsible for Fatal Dog Attacks
Pitbull – 185 deaths
Pitbull Mix – 41 deaths
Rotweiller – 26 deaths

Dog Bite Fatalities By Age & Sex

I often read about what loving and wonderful family dogs they are, like the personal testimony of the owner in this incident,

https://www.kktv.com/2022/08/10/she-was-screaming-family-says-89-year-old-grandmother-killed-pit-bull-attack/

“There was not a mean bone in that dog’s body, that dog would sleep with us every night, and he loved grandma,” Faircloth said.

The horrific results of a Google search "Mauled by Pitbull":

https://www.google.com/search?q=mauled+by+pitbull&client=opera&hs=WT0&ei=fUxVY93OAoeE0PEPkZyPsAg&ved=0ahUKEwidgfzyxPb6AhUHAjQIHRHOA4YQ4dUDCA8&oq=mauled+by+pitbull&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAwyBggAEAcQHjIGCAAQBxAeMgQIABBDMgYIABAHEB4yBggAEAcQHjIGCAAQBxAeMgYIABAHEB4yBggAEAcQHjIGCAAQBxAeMgYIABAHEB5KBAhBGABKBAhGGABQAFgAYK8ZaABwAHgAgAFUiAFUkgEBMZgBAKABAcABAQ&sclient=gws-wiz

Here's a link to myths about Pit bulls:
https://www.dogsbite.org/dangerous-dogs-pit-bull-myths.php?gclid=CjwKCAjwzNOaBhAcEiwAD7Tb6EtRjqGetwPGDINguihwJ6lKEo6exLpP8kb4INxASj2q0wCt2GVPTxoCzGsQAvD_BwE

I do think, for people who have already made up their minds about this, real-world data and statistics are useless.  They have their own experience and intuition to guide them, and that is, and always will be, sufficient for them.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 10:02:57 AM »

I do think, for people who have already made up their minds about this, real-world data and statistics are useless.  They have their own experience and intuition to guide them, and that is, and always will be, sufficient for them.

You could apply this to literally any topic in society: economy, political issues, religion, taxes, bird deaths via wind turbine, etc.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 10:07:51 AM »
I do own one as a matter of fact. She’s super sweet and affectionate, the most emotionally sensitive dog I’ve known. In my opinion she’s too sensitive for normal dog training. She doesn’t handle negative reinforcement well. If she thinks she’s in trouble and about to be reprimanded she becomes defensive, bearing her teeth and you can’t touch her when she’s like that. She knows when me and the wife are going to have an argument before we know. She also has the biggest vocabulary of any dog I’ve had. She learned those words on her own, the only words I taught her was sit and stay. She’s a dollbaby and we love her, but we don’t let her around the grandkids unsupervised. But this is all subjective information. The objective information paints a different picture. Pitbulls make up only 6% of the American dog population yet they’re responsible for over half of the dog attack fatalities. In some years up to 80%. Retrievers have an instinctive drive to retrieve because of artificial selection, that’s what they’re bred to do. Shepard’s Shepard, pointers point etc because of their genetics and breeding. In fact thats how we got the domestic dog in the first place. By breeding only the friendliest and docile wolves. Well you can do the opposite too. And that’s how they made the pitbull.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 10:26:00 AM »
Mine is spayed

Yep you have one as most don't know how sensitive to the point of being insecure they are

Very smart learning words and phrases

Have spent over 10k repairing both hind legs and and at least 5k more on her left front leg and everything other vet visit in just under 5 years...

So yeah she has stolen our hearts ...and wallet

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2022, 11:51:08 AM »
You could apply this to literally any topic in society: economy, political issues, religion, taxes, bird deaths via wind turbine, etc.

Agree 100%, Perdue.  But it does seem to me there used to be a time when facts and data held sway with more people.   Not all, but more.   

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2022, 12:25:48 PM »
you don't know how close you can get to God, till you are being chased by one.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2022, 01:01:02 PM »
Agree 100%, Perdue.  But it does seem to me there used to be a time when facts and data held sway with more people.   Not all, but more.

Media propaganda is much stronger today.

I've never had a problem with Pits. Though I definitely think natural instincts are part of any animal and anything can set that off. I've never really cared that much for them. More of Golden retriever type. Not a big fan of Boxers, got tackled one time by one when I was little when someone threw a ball to me. I've also never liked poodle type dogs because they jump all over me every damn time and I can't stand it.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 01:07:01 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Online TryHard

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2022, 01:47:06 PM »
All pitbulls should be sterilized and the sale of pitbulls needs to be banned. I used to be on the fence about this. But the real stats on pitbulls is shocking.

Two pitbulls that the family had for 8 years without incident attacked and killed an infant, a toddler and put their mom in the hospital to be sewn back together.

https://wgntv.com/news/nexstar-media-wire/mother-tried-to-shield-children-killed-in-memphis-pit-bull-attack-family-says/

Couple of troubling, revealing points.

1. These dogs were never mistreated, they attacked their own family. Contradicting the argument that pitbull violence is a result of pet mistreatment.

2. Both of the dogs attacked. Contradicting the argument that it’s not the breed, just individual bad apples that are harmful.

I think you ought to be sterilized (probably already are) and banned but that's just my opinion now isn't it man.

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2022, 02:29:47 PM »
I have a Pitbull named Chaos. Best dog I have ever owned. He lets my two and half year-old grandson walk him on a lease. Such a great dog.
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2022, 04:59:56 PM »

In one of your links,the myths about pit bulls pretty much lays it all out,although in a biased way.

In the 70’s the breed changed,or should I say breeds,there was much mixing done to produce a bigger badder dog.Back in the days of open dog fighting a man biter just wasn’t tolerated and when dog fighting was outlawed the dogs were mainly bred for temperament and the show ring. Ag`ain aggressive dogs weren’t tolerated in the show ring either.

I have bred a few best in show winners,had some of the dogs in my line go on to become top show dogs as that’s where my interest was. I’ve researched the history for years and have come to the conclusion that fighting breeds just aren’t the dog for everyone. They are a special type that will ignore common dog signals,with most breeds once a dog submits it’s over,fighting dogs ignore this and will continue.They have an extreme prey drive yet are sensitive to discipline. And as much as I trust my dogs I’d never leave a child unsupervised around one.

All dog can and will bite,fighting breeds just happen to be extremely strong for their size but then any breed around 40 lbs or larger can inflict serious injuries. Personally I’m more wary of the mastif breeds,they are so large once they get you down there’s no getting back up.

One thing I tell people who are interested in getting this type of dog is to remember you have to be slightly smarter than then the dog,which is not often the case.

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2022, 05:13:29 PM »
Why would anyone own a dog where theres even a 1% chance of randomly attacking grandkids?