Author Topic: False equivalency(s)  (Read 3652 times)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
False equivalency(s)
« on: October 20, 2023, 09:19:10 PM »
What do you think really motivates ppl to make them. Assuming they’re intelligent ppl, they must know at least to some degree they’re being dishonest, right? I see this everywhere, to include ch 200 and this BBS.

If you don’t know exactly what I mean, here’s an example:
John: The Better Business Bureau is dishonest, they pick winners and have covered for bad companies.
Paul: Why do you hate big successful companies , they pay lots of taxes!
John: I don’t, that’s not what I said.
Paul: Yes you did, don’t you know what the BBB does for everyone?!

⬆️ that’s much more benign…. I mean things that end relationships, careers etc.  Just an example

We used to be able to call out this bs, ppl are scared now.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Re: False equivalency(s)
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 09:21:36 PM »
Maybe should have just put this in the insecurities thread idk.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 05:58:24 AM »
It appears the new way of life is that one cannot anymore call out wrongdoings, lies, evils because of the fear of hurting feelings and everyone gets offended over everything and cries big crocodile tears and a boohoo sob story about how their life is permanently scarred because someone disagreed with them.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2023, 07:39:42 AM »
Thin skin is an insecurity and it's huge these days

The ole sticks and stones saying is much too violent for some to even contemplate lol

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2023, 08:39:55 AM »
Far too many folks seem to think that a differing opinion is insulting and worse, intolerable. They fail to understand that uniformity of thought is not a good thing and leads to societal and scientific stagnation. What has been lost is the ability to understand that others can have a different view and still be good friends / people that do not need correcting.

There is no constitutional right to not be offended nor is mere offensive thinking illegal. Especially just because it is different from what you like. Like a certain movie line said. This ain't burger king and you can't have it your way. At least all the time.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2023, 11:07:12 AM »
Far too many folks seem to think that a differing opinion is insulting and worse, intolerable. They fail to understand that uniformity of thought is not a good thing and leads to societal and scientific stagnation. What has been lost is the ability to understand that others can have a different view and still be good friends / people that do not need correcting.

There is no constitutional right to not be offended nor is mere offensive thinking illegal. Especially just because it is different from what you like. Like a certain movie line said. This ain't burger king and you can't have it your way. At least all the time.

That's because almost all debate now is about emotional issues and you are either the good guy or bad guy in the debate in the eyes of the listeners. If you don't agree with them you are the bad guy because the debate is about their feelings and how your hurting people If you don't support it.

It's how leaders have got away with robbing people blind. They use people's humanitarian emotion to take advantage of them because they know most people "just want to help".

Secondly, to the OPs premise. It's because the majority of people have never taken an arguement and logic class. Probably most people would fail it too. Who knew so much Math. So people don't really understand that argument is an equation and a practiced art.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2023, 11:21:48 AM »
There has always been a minimum of 2 ways to say something. You can either be nice about it, or be an a-hole about it. Like the old saying, "honey will catch more flies, than vinegar". :old:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2023, 11:46:05 AM »
We have become very divided, at least in the US. To the point that each side has it's own list of grievances against the other. It's easy to assume with a stranger or online person that if they embrace one aspect of the other sides ideology they embrace all. 
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2023, 11:49:39 AM »
I'd like to see Ukraine spank Russia hard. The same for Israel and Iran. I don't like Russia or Iran. Do I want to pay for that? To a degree, not like we have been though.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2023, 12:20:28 PM »
What do you think really motivates ppl to make them. Assuming they’re intelligent ppl, they must know at least to some degree they’re being dishonest, right? I see this everywhere, to include ch 200 and this BBS.

If you don’t know exactly what I mean, here’s an example:
John: The Better Business Bureau is dishonest, they pick winners and have covered for bad companies.
Paul: Why do you hate big successful companies , they pay lots of taxes!
John: I don’t, that’s not what I said.
Paul: Yes you did, don’t you know what the BBB does for everyone?!

⬆️ that’s much more benign…. I mean things that end relationships, careers etc.  Just an example

We used to be able to call out this bs, ppl are scared now.

that's called a "strawman" argument and people do it because they're too stupid to argue a point. They also do it just to get under someone's skin deliberately.

Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2023, 12:21:46 PM »

sand those are the people who smash the complainer button and who have destroyed this place.
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2023, 12:38:42 PM »
Like the old saying, "honey will catch more flies, than vinegar". :old:
Those old folks knew nothing! The best trap for the fruit/flowerpot flies is based on vinegar.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2023, 12:57:48 PM »
We have become very divided, at least in the US. To the point that each side has it's own list of grievances against the other. It's easy to assume with a stranger or online person that if they embrace one aspect of the other sides ideology they embrace all.

It's by design. Come out and say you love American and want it to prosper and the other side media comes out and says you are a Manchurian candidate for Russia and creates fake dossiers with no punishment and sows division and hatred in people. Then call the guy all the trigger words in the book and label his supporters the same and then act bewildered when his supporters get angry about propaganda that their guy legalized. There literally is no way out of this. You either agree to get robbed and have all your money sent over seas or you are the bad guy. Its a no win situation all around.

I think I read yesterday that 34 trillion in debt amounts to 1 million years in seconds. But who cares about all that right?

« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 12:59:29 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2023, 01:12:58 PM »
Polarization, division, creation of uncertainties, disputes, strifes, quarrels... Directly from handbook of cultural marxists. And social media makes it so easy, as big part of lemmings believe everything they find in it.

Offline Animl-AW

• Gold Member
      • Animl - YouTube
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2023, 05:45:19 PM »
Look all over cable TV channels. Conspiracy show after conspiracy show. These exist for a reason (same as infomercials). It's the marketing of such. It tends to normalize conspiracies.

IMO, people who willingly fall for conspiracies may have panophobia, the fear of everything. Which conspiracies tend to play on this personality type.
Cults use conspiracies non-stop, daily, keeping them off balance.

I'm not a psychologist, but I play one on AH BBS.
Master of the Air Scenario Video
https://youtu.be/rQiA2yMiZf0?si=QZEvHGf1Le0YlaHf

Windows 11 Gaming Tweaks
https://imgur.com/oEtVMfP[/