Author Topic: Proximity Dar  (Read 2637 times)

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
Re: Proximity Dar
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2024, 08:31:45 AM »
Even that level of effort seems too much these days for us to expect...

Me thinks this wishlist forum is just therapy for the oldest subscribers...

Eagler
You’re right. Effort is pretty much zero. Still not going to stop me from asking.

Nearly everything I proposed as a fix (except specialized equipment) is basically in arena settings. Might take 10 minutes. We experimented. It sucks. It’s OK to admit it didn’t work and had unintended consequences.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2024, 10:58:22 PM »
I'm actually in agreement with lilmak on this one.. who would of thunk it
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2024, 05:58:25 AM »
Maybe have the awacs style radar in the hangar but not available in the cockpit? Helps find fights but doesn’t ruin them.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2024, 06:03:56 AM by LilMak »
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2024, 07:54:39 AM »
Current MA minimum NOE settings are 65 ft., I think 200 ft. would be more realistic. In rough terrain maintaining 65 ft. is almost impossible. :rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2024, 08:27:36 AM »
Dar should be line of sight with realistic range limits...blasting out to sea should be different than into mountains

But maps would need to be smaller so you don't spend all day looking for a fight imo...or go from 3 sides to 2..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2024, 08:43:15 AM »
Dar should be line of sight with realistic range limits...blasting out to sea should be different than into mountains

But maps would need to be smaller so you don't spend all day looking for a fight imo

Eagler
I’ve never really had difficulty finding fights. Even before the radar was changed. Darbar made it easy. But I will admit that the smaller numbers may contribute to doing a bit more searching. I think a higher refresh rate on darbar (almost instant) could help locate fights without the need for awacs. Smaller maps just make all around better sense given the current population. Having more bases than players isn’t encouraging people to fight.

Current MA minimum NOE settings are 65 ft., I think 200 ft. would be more realistic. In rough terrain maintaining 65 ft. is almost impossible. :rock
I agree and am willing to try this out. Even when NOE raids were ridiculous, you still could have a decent time defending if you got up because the horde wasn’t buzzing around at 15k+.
~Hub Zemke

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2024, 08:03:51 PM »
I’m am SO SICK of this stupid awacs radar setting. It’s made the fighter game one dimensional. Select a pick plane. Join large group. Club away at outnumbered opponents without giving a thought to checking your six. Dive from out of icon range to be the 3rd, 4th, or 5th parasite ganging one enemy.

Dale,

For the sake of what’s left, please un-fudge this. Make it available in the hangar but take it away in flight. Or simply take it away. Please stop trying to noob up the game and start thinking about retention instead of trying to attract customers that aren’t showing up. I know you’re basically retired from writing code but take 10 minutes and adjust the settings so the game has some variety and makes SA and radar towers relevant again.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2024, 08:05:24 PM by LilMak »
~Hub Zemke

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2024, 08:33:08 PM »
I’m am SO SICK of this stupid awacs radar setting. It’s made the fighter game one dimensional. Select a pick plane. Join large group. Club away at outnumbered opponents without giving a thought to checking your six. Dive from out of icon range to be the 3rd, 4th, or 5th parasite ganging one enemy.

Dale,

For the sake of what’s left, please un-fudge this. Make it available in the hangar but take it away in flight. Or simply take it away. Please stop trying to noob up the game and start thinking about retention instead of trying to attract customers that aren’t showing up. I know you’re basically retired from writing code but take 10 minutes and adjust the settings so the game has some variety and makes SA and radar towers relevant again.

I 2nd this!

Do I hear a 3rd?..4th, 5th ...

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Kini

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2024, 07:59:29 AM »
I 2nd this!

Do I hear a 3rd?..4th, 5th ...

Eagler

3rd!

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2024, 08:57:28 AM »
Ill give it the 4th.

I think its time to go back to the old settings for radar. When you watch youtube videos most players dont put away the clipboard. I find myself looking at the clipboard to spot planes instead of a quick scan through the views. Its far too easy this way and it takes away that "fog of war" in the game.

Please consider it Hitech.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2024, 09:11:33 AM »
Ill give it the 4th.

I think its time to go back to the old settings for radar. When you watch youtube videos most players dont put away the clipboard. I find myself looking at the clipboard to spot planes instead of a quick scan through the views. Its far too easy this way and it takes away that "fog of war" in the game.

Even I have become guilty of keeping the clipboard up until I get to the fight.  It's really nice for scrolling on FB or Tiktok while climbing out  :rofl

Unfortunately, I don't think we're going to see any changes (I hope I'm wrong  :pray)
Tours 86 - 296

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2024, 11:07:48 AM »
I cannot stress enough how bad I think it is for gameplay. There has to be guys that fight outnumbered in order to keep combat going. The awacs has virtually destroyed the ability to be aggressive while outnumbered and almost necessitates timid game play by all. The result is totally lopsided fights and an almost constant double team of one country. Even when the fights start somewhat even, one or two quick kills on one side or the other results in a gang rape of the remaining outnumbered players in that fight. Then some defenders move to another area and the fight devolves to a seal clubbing contest or evaporates all together.

It’s absolutely trashed SA. It’s so gamey that we might as well enable F3 mode for fighters at this point.
~Hub Zemke

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2024, 07:47:04 AM »
Ill give it the 4th.

I'll give it a 5th.

Back when Hitech changed the Dar, it was either "this way or the old way" to chose. Of course, couldn't provide an "other" selection to continue to make tweaks. I never liked that radar became too easy. My suggestion was to increase radar towers to 3k pounds so it would be much harder to take down dar. Such a simple fix.

Simple isn't in Hitechs language. Much like the DA just needed some simple fixes and we got a whole knew Match Play arena which had some good aspects but many broken things because it was too complicated.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Dadtallica

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2024, 07:53:02 AM »
What is the average height in feet of the trees in AH? Is it possible to be under dar when over land with objects. How tall are the buildings? 

I like to make now strat runs sometimes when it’s slow or we need to slow down one side. Most  strat defenders are waiting at 20K and I’ve already made a pass or two when they realize I’m on the deck.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2024, 07:54:43 AM by Dadtallica »
Back in 2022 after a loooooong break from 2010. Old name Ratpack, same for the BBS.

Squad I did the most tours with were the Excaliburs then The 172nd Rabid Dogs. Still trying to talk Illigaf, Coola, Oldman22, and Joecrow into coming back instead of being boring old farts!

Offline thndregg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2024, 05:48:35 PM »
Ill give it the 4th.

Absolutely.. it's a level of suspense during bomber missions I have always enjoyed. Could be a milk run, or that huge darbar ahead could be a huge gaggle of interceptors about to tear us apart. I remember a specific mission we put up in the old Main where there weren't a lot of clues as to what was about to transpire under the old dar system..

Turned out, as our 30 player B17 run was headed south over the middle of the water at over 20K, headed due north directly head-on and co-alt was a HUGE number of German-themed Rook or Knit- can't remember - fighters.. and although we got royally torn apart, it was awesome! No prox-dar, no clues except the darbar.. that was all. Kudos to whoever organized the opposition-- that was a great ride.

Really miss what we had in days of old..

EGG

Former C.O. 91st Bombardment Group (Heavy)
"The Ragged Irregulars"