Author Topic: Proximity Dar  (Read 2630 times)

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
Re: Proximity Dar
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2024, 09:40:49 AM »
Maybe have the awacs style radar in the hangar but not available in the cockpit? Helps find fights but doesn’t ruin them.
I use bombers as awacs sometimes when Knights are 1 v 2 and an attacking country is just furballing. I will climb 1 set up to 20k and bridge that gap in the fog just so we have eyes on the situation.

I have tried to implement this against hordes rolling bases. Due to the nature of a rolling horde that requires b29s just to keep up. 29s are not yb40s.... nor should ever be used as such. Take my word on it :rofl
« Last Edit: August 31, 2024, 09:46:16 AM by mERv »
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations."Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s? It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns"Diaster
"Take your meds" ShadowX

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2024, 08:01:15 PM »
Revert the AWACS radar, and remove some large maps.

Higher ENY planes may be given a life again.
When numbers are low on a smaller map, fights are still there.

You might even have to check 6 again, this is after all a WWII flight sim, not WW3.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2024, 10:11:09 AM »
So many nuanced things it affects…

All that artwork and research to develop cockpits that simulate what it was like to fly the actual plane you selected in the hangar is downplayed. Canopy supports blocking views, armor behind your head are less of a factor.

Coming in low so they can’t see you under their tail isn’t a thing anymore.

Rolling the airplane to see what’s under your wings when you’re at altitude.

Skimming a C-47 over terrain to avoid detection.

Having a good fight without getting “help” you didn’t ask for or want.

Clouds are basically pointless.

Regaining eyes on a contact you lost during maneuvers or a blackout.

Seeing an enemy dot or icon and setting up before they see you.

Head on a swivel? Why? You already know if there’s anyone in range.

Someone is a sector away and you know if they’re in a fight, how many they’re fighting, and whether or not you can be bothered to help before you get in radio range. Speaking of radios…the need for good coms is diminished as well.

So many intangibles have been sacrificed with AWACS.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.