Author Topic: While I’m wishing…  (Read 2561 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: While I’m wishing…
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2024, 10:28:13 AM »
Has anyone ever heard of a base during ww2 that was actually vultched?

Where fighters had impunity to destroy any upping defensive aircraft?

I don't think it happened often it at all...

Runways need hardened if not indestructible ack..maybe manned if auto even more accurate than ack now imo

Vultching should be much harder

Eagler

I dont know about vulching so much, but Ive seen lots of gun cam video of guys taking out planes parked near the runway. Ive heard/read that 262 was attacked while landing  many times, but have never seen a film.

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2024, 10:38:29 AM »

Runways need hardened if not indestructible ack..maybe manned if auto even more accurate than ack now imo

Eagler
American fighter pilots did it all the time. They were trained to only make one pass though. By the time they could swing around for a second pass, all the guns within reach would be poised to shoot at them.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2024, 10:46:02 AM »
I wouldnt call it realistic. If a field was under attack the first thought by command was never "lets get supplies rolling!", but Im sure if it was an early warning, "lets get a cap up", or if it was a late warning "lets intercept them as they head home".

Resupplying the field is the issue, not the vehicles, tho replacing a pinle gun or engine in the field is a bit of a stretch. I think HTC should set it up so that if an enemy is flying in the dar circle resupply runs on the field are down to only 20% of a normal drop. If no enemy in the dar circle supplies are counted at 100%. This would promote defending vs resupply, but once the base is secure then supplies can do their job.

Spot on, Fuge! This is something similar to what I had in mind, except less dramatic. This is more even ground and compromise. I was thinking town could only be resupped when there were no enemies within “x” miles.
Tours 86 - 296

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2024, 11:09:16 AM »
You don't want something resupplied, take out the appropriate VH Hanger. Everyone keeps talking about "planning and strategy", well there it is. You also have the ability to severely impact re-supply, by hitting the Troop Strats, again "planning and strategy".

For me, if I can't resupply/defend the base, I'll go some where else. I am not going to keep upping and feed you kills. Don't forget the goal is to save the base, resupply is a part of that effort, like it or not.  :cheers:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2024, 11:17:24 AM »
You don't want something resupplied, take out the appropriate VH Hanger. Everyone keeps talking about "planning and strategy", well there it is. You also have the ability to severely impact re-supply, by hitting the Troop Strats, again "planning and strategy".

For me, if I can't resupply/defend the base, I'll go some where else. I am not going to keep upping and feed you kills. Don't forget the goal is to save the base, resupply is a part of that effort, like it or not.  :cheers:

Yep. Not once or twice I remember been defending a base alone, against big horde. Sup runs were the only way to have even some kind of possibility to keep the base. Call it unfair or what ever, 1 vs. 10 is also not fair for defender. But neither is real war.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2024, 11:34:03 AM »

Eagler
Vulching is the sport of Kings!  :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2024, 11:46:06 AM »

That was true with numbers. We don’t have those anymore. If I roll and take out an adjacent VH, it’ll be back up before I can land or get to the actual target base. And let’s not forget there are often multiple spawns into any given base. So if I take up bombers and kill all the barracks at those bases, the first set will likely be back up before I get my wheels on a friendly runway. And none of that accounts for the fact that I can sink the carrier and the LVTs can just keep coming. It’s about balance. Resuply is tilting the balance. At the very least it needs to be tweaked so 1 player can’t undo the work of 5-6 without even firing a shot.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2024, 12:16:00 PM »
American fighter pilots did it all the time. They were trained to only make one pass though. By the time they could swing around for a second pass, all the guns within reach would be poised to shoot at them.

Exactly one maybe two passes and gone..

Ack isn't wiped out and every rolling plane vaporized..

Vultching is way too easy as is base capture

Smaller maps with less but much tougher bases for the numbers today imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2024, 12:44:16 PM »

This is absolutely a terrible idea.  Look how bad ack hugging is already... It would definitely stop vulching, but it would also promote more ack hugging IMO.
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2024, 02:34:58 PM »
This is absolutely a terrible idea.  Look how bad ack hugging is already... It would definitely stop vulching, but it would also promote more ack hugging IMO.

That's the other fix.. ack kills friendly too

I should be able to drag a plane through friendly ack with much more damage to them than happens today (any now?)...ack of all forms

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline GasTeddy

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2024, 03:28:00 PM »
That's the other fix.. ack kills friendly too

I should be able to drag a plane through friendly ack with much more damage to them than happens today (any now?)...ack of all forms

Eagler

Realistic friendly fire incidents, like in XX-X*. Guns of course not to aim friendlies, but shells to kill, if hit one. Also, damage model if colliding w/ friendly. Realism for simmers in cost of gamers joy.

*censored to avoid K-9 effect

Offline Trav02

• Zinc Member
Re: While I�m wishing�
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2024, 05:54:36 PM »
I always think of this excerpt from The Big Show
Pierre Clostermann's recollections, when strafing ack comes up. Anecdotal evidence, and I think some people have said they can't find matching loss records, but interesting nonetheless. Take with as much salt as you'd like.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2024, 06:42:13 PM by Trav02 »

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2024, 10:57:47 AM »

When this game had 400 people plus, resupply might have been cool.  With the current numbers, it sucks the life out of the game when people basically choose the lame route.

I'd say limit the resupply in some fashion to encourage people to defend.

If a team let's me deack their base and get vulched, it's just poor defense, and hell, I earned it.

I'd rather see 15 wirbs stopping me killing the ack than some weasle hiding in trees trying to resupply it.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2024, 06:13:22 PM »

Some of (your) map spawns make that even more difficult in low numbers times where the vh in question is real time consuming to even get to and only lasting 15 mins not as effective as you're trying to impute.

Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2024, 07:41:25 PM »

Respectfully, I've been playing AH nearly 20 years and I don't think M3s resupplying bases has had nearly the large effect that it has had in the last few years. Granted, I don't think that's necessarily a map's fault but rather various changes to game settings and the playerbase evolving and the issues compounding each other.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com