Author Topic: Gauging Interest in a 1v1 Tournament with Prizes  (Read 2547 times)

Offline Bopgun

• Nickel Member
Re: Gauging Interest in a 1v1 Tournament with Prizes
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2024, 10:57:30 AM »
So this wouldn’t necessarily be a bracket?
Ingame: StepSis

Stuck in the Washing Machine!

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2024, 11:04:58 AM »

I guess it would depend on how many players participate. I always thought these style of competitions were "bracket" style, but apparently there's nuance to the terms "bracket" vs "ladder."
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 30-11

KOTH Wins: 6, Egos Broken: 1000+

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2024, 11:12:17 AM »

I'm sure that's the intended setup design what with the prizes and all.

I just threw out the ladder-style as being more ongoing, dynamic and ego-centric  :noid   :banana: :bolt:

edit to differentiate bracket vs ladder:

Brackets are set pieces with a very clear start/end and anointing of a winner, while ladders are more open-ended with perhaps a seasonal (or monthly or whatever) end point and no one is eliminated, just ranked... you can view ladders as a kind of current and floating "ranking" while a bracket is winner take-all in that particular moment. The other difference would be that in a bracket there are numerous players you would never encounter while the ladder provides access to a broader cross-section of the competition.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2024, 11:15:53 AM by Shane »
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2024, 11:07:57 PM »
What’s the qualifications?  :airplane:
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Grind

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2024, 11:34:16 PM »
Sounds like fun win or lose.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2024, 03:20:44 AM »
how many people would be interested in a 1v1 ladder-style tournament...

If I can just clarify some of the finer points of the rules before signing up:

Will it be allowed to log into someone else’s account and fly on their behalf pretending to be them or is that privilege only extended to the organiser? I think this is a perfectly reasonable question given the organiser has done this on at least two occasions that we know of and even presented a YouTube video clearly demonstrating this (presumably in the interests of ‘unbridled competition’). - How could that be monitored?

Regarding spectating: will spectators in CM mode be allowed to be distributed on each side of the competition and will extra information not available to one of the competitors be allowed to be supplied to the other on Discord, say, or is that privilege only extended to the organiser and his squamates as openly demonstrated nowadays in the MA? - How could that be monitored?

Theoretically would any practically-advantageous selective packet-dropping software (to replicate TheJudge's unique internet connection) outside of the game be allowed such as the organiser was once caught using causing him to be ejected - in disgrace - from the real Damned squadron leading to his creation of a fake Damned Squadron because he cannot accept any wrongdoing on his part nor any authority over him? - How could that be monitored?

Given the motivation that playing-to-win-by-any-means-necessary is the only allowable culture now in AH, would aimbot software - if available - be allowed and if not then why not and how could it be monitored that everyone involved is not cheating by not using it?

Regarding the spirit of the endeavour - a meaningful question to those who are developed sufficient to know the score means basically nothing in isolation*: is the offering gift vouchers and economical flight gear and the further arranging of such a tournament designed to encourage a focus on developing ACM and respectful fights between fellow players, or is it - as has been demonstrated by the last eleven-months of activity in game and on this forum another one of those ‘total domination’ bragfests underpinned by profound insecurity, personality-disorders and toxic-griefing of selected individuals supported by the usual full High Definition YouTube videos, external to HiTech’s game? - How could that be monitored?

How can the last eleven months of in-game and on-forum and on YouTube activities be resolved with the essential impartiality and pre-assumed honesty and integrity necessary to host such an event given the observable shortcomings of the host in these areas? - How could honesty and integrity be monitored?

Yeah nah, having thought about it I realise you can't monotor any of those things and somehow I can’t trust the motivations and especially the organiser. One thing I’ve learned in the last year you can’t change a disturbed person but you can choose to not associate with them or be exposed to their toxicity. I think I have better things to do. Skorpions aren't cool and hard, they're just nasty little bugs that can't help but sting their own boat. Parabolically speaking.

I do apologise in advance if I have inadvertently broken any forum rules. I'm sure under Skuzzy's phase this would have been the case. But I only drop in here now occassionally to check PMs.
I had merely intended to pay my respects to TC whose departure I heard about from other channels. I was forced to guage what is acceptible by what has been going on in the last half a year, say, so apologies again if kicking a dickhead in his testicles at any opportunity as he has demonstrated himself as the norm, is in fact not the norm.

Good luck with it all and I hope you all understand excatly what you would be signing up for and thoroughly enjoy the experience.

<Salute> to some of you.

*Did you know the first Porsche entered in Le Mans and famously WINNING was the only car entered in its class and it merely had to complete the course at the chequered flag and was in essence a Volkswagen, known for doing not much more than actually finishing. Porsche sold an awful lot of cars on that piece of BS. Funny old world.
”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Grind

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2024, 08:43:04 AM »
I’m out.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2024, 08:51:16 AM »
a lot of words

A simple "no" would have sufficed.   :D
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Skyyr

• persona non grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2024, 08:55:08 AM »
tl;dr

Well seeing as you quit and stated it would be for a very long time, if not permanently, I can safely say none of these things are anything you would have to worry about as you wouldn't be entered into it.

Also I'm not the organizer.

<S>
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - 296

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 30-11

KOTH Wins: 6, Egos Broken: 1000+

Mmmmm... tears.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2024, 09:08:21 AM »
Well seeing as you quit and stated it would be for a very long time, if not permanently, I can safely say none of these things are anything you would have to worry about as you wouldn't be entered into it.

Also I'm not the organizer.

<S>

You probably shouldn't be the spokesman for it then..

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2024, 09:18:05 AM »
I got a spare, it’s in the box on my
lap.

You have to have performed step 1 and step 2 for that to work.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2024, 12:03:11 PM »
If I can just clarify some of the finer points of the rules before signing up:

Will it be allowed to log into someone else’s account and fly on their behalf pretending to be them or is that privilege only extended to the organiser? I think this is a perfectly reasonable question given the organiser has done this on at least two occasions that we know of and even presented a YouTube video clearly demonstrating this (presumably in the interests of ‘unbridled competition’). - How could that be monitored?

Regarding spectating: will spectators in CM mode be allowed to be distributed on each side of the competition and will extra information not available to one of the competitors be allowed to be supplied to the other on Discord, say, or is that privilege only extended to the organiser and his squamates as openly demonstrated nowadays in the MA? - How could that be monitored?

Theoretically would any practically-advantageous selective packet-dropping software (to replicate TheJudge's unique internet connection) outside of the game be allowed such as the organiser was once caught using causing him to be ejected - in disgrace - from the real Damned squadron leading to his creation of a fake Damned Squadron because he cannot accept any wrongdoing on his part nor any authority over him? - How could that be monitored?

Given the motivation that playing-to-win-by-any-means-necessary is the only allowable culture now in AH, would aimbot software - if available - be allowed and if not then why not and how could it be monitored that everyone involved is not cheating by not using it?

Regarding the spirit of the endeavour - a meaningful question to those who are developed sufficient to know the score means basically nothing in isolation*: is the offering gift vouchers and economical flight gear and the further arranging of such a tournament designed to encourage a focus on developing ACM and respectful fights between fellow players, or is it - as has been demonstrated by the last eleven-months of activity in game and on this forum another one of those ‘total domination’ bragfests underpinned by profound insecurity, personality-disorders and toxic-griefing of selected individuals supported by the usual full High Definition YouTube videos, external to HiTech’s game? - How could that be monitored?

How can the last eleven months of in-game and on-forum and on YouTube activities be resolved with the essential impartiality and pre-assumed honesty and integrity necessary to host such an event given the observable shortcomings of the host in these areas? - How could honesty and integrity be monitored?

Yeah nah, having thought about it I realise you can't monotor any of those things and somehow I can’t trust the motivations and especially the organiser. One thing I’ve learned in the last year you can’t change a disturbed person but you can choose to not associate with them or be exposed to their toxicity. I think I have better things to do. Skorpions aren't cool and hard, they're just nasty little bugs that can't help but sting their own boat. Parabolically speaking.

I do apologise in advance if I have inadvertently broken any forum rules. I'm sure under Skuzzy's phase this would have been the case. But I only drop in here now occassionally to check PMs.
I had merely intended to pay my respects to TC whose departure I heard about from other channels. I was forced to guage what is acceptible by what has been going on in the last half a year, say, so apologies again if kicking a dickhead in his testicles at any opportunity as he has demonstrated himself as the norm, is in fact not the norm.

Good luck with it all and I hope you all understand excatly what you would be signing up for and thoroughly enjoy the experience.

<Salute> to some of you.

*Did you know the first Porsche entered in Le Mans and famously WINNING was the only car entered in its class and it merely had to complete the course at the chequered flag and was in essence a Volkswagen, known for doing not much more than actually finishing. Porsche sold an awful lot of cars on that piece of BS. Funny old world.
  :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Baloo

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2024, 05:58:16 AM »
Sounds like a good time, sign me up! +1  :salute  :cheers:
Squadron: Arabian Knights

In Game Name: AKBaloo

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2024, 11:18:59 AM »
As was the case with KOTH rule enforcement is critical!
As silly as it sounds in todays world and an online environment there will be no way you can guarantee the rules will be followed as honor and integrity isn’t at a level it used to be and would need to be in this event.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline mERv

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2024, 11:30:29 AM »
  :aok (Image removed from quote.)
why you stirring up sheet when you cant back anything up? This is a "what are you doing for me now" world everyone is living on  :rofl

Wastin, where are you? Bawk bawk bawk
"Its no problem to be the best, but to be so much better than the best is going to bring accusations."Haggarty
"Ever wonder why its always b-17s and B-24s? It allows him an extreme advantage over other players hence his bomber kill count, that and his lazer beam guns"Diaster
"Take your meds" ShadowX