Author Topic: Suggestion: New 6-view system  (Read 1111 times)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Suggestion: New 6-view system
« on: February 24, 2002, 06:31:01 AM »
This is something I suggested before, but I'll bring it up again..

A 6 view system with limitations to head movements in case of 5,6,7 O'clock views and two programmable 6 views.

1. Current range of 6-View in AH

Something that combines a panoramic view of the 6 and a part of high 6 as if the pilot is sitting in the cockpit backwards.

2. Current range of high 6-View in AH

Something like if the pilot is sitting backwards in the cockpit, squatting on the rudders looking up..

3. Suggested new 6-Views

Two 6 Views will be programmable. One 6 view would come out only if the Hat key passes 3-4-5-6 O'clock, Other 6 view would come out when the hat key is swiveled other way around 9-8-7-6 O'clock, much simular but a bit more lenient than IL-2. Of course, going directly from "peer over right shoulder" to "peer over left shoulder" is impossible.

"Peer over left Shoulder 6 view"

"Peer over right shoulder 6 view"

4. New high 6 view

Suggested new high 6 view

Notice that each view is more ristricted, since it would be meaningless to have two 6 views if you can just move your head back forth up down sideways just as now. In case of the 6 views, maximum of head movement is about as much as 'peer over right shoulder' picture shows.(Peer over left shoulder pic has moved head to right a lil' bit too much) High 6 view head movement is also limited.

Minimum programming, maximum results, and compromise enough for those who like the leniency in AH 6 views. How about it?

ps) Strange, the IMGs are showing as if it were links.. I didn't have any trouble posting images before.. maybe something wrong with my file server??
« Last Edit: February 24, 2002, 06:59:08 AM by Kweassa »

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2002, 07:31:50 AM »
Can't access the images at all, not connecting.

So without having looked at the images, I am up for it as long as the movements aren't as freaking slow as in IL2, in IL2 it feels like he's on a coffee brake while moving the head. Try it your self sitting in a chair, move head from 7 to 4 oc view, takes less then a second.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2002, 12:03:48 PM »
I remember my disappointment with the dead aft six view when I tried AH for the first time.

Oh well.......(shrugs)

Other than that, the view system in AH is simply perfect.

Y
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline haa

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2002, 01:15:01 PM »
What is the problem with the 6 view?

When I turn my head I can easily see straight backwards, and with a much wider field of view than can be depicted on a computer screen.

(maybe if I could see the images I would understand better)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2002, 03:31:23 PM »
I got a better idea. Keep the current view system, using the default "turn head" (not snap-view) view.

BUT

Make the "turning" to the view be SLOWER the more G's the plane pulls.

That way someone pulling 9g's wont be able to snap his head around in less than a second.

At around 3G's you should lose at least 1/3rd of the turn-your-head speed.. at 7G's to blackout you shouldnt be able to turn your head around at all.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2002, 07:38:32 PM »
my dead 6 view is set to: full sideways and full up (finer tune is used to avoid canopy bar) this way when I hit the 6 view key I get the same view as a man stretching, looking over his shoulder. I do this for better view of that dead 6 spot but I like the effect also.

see no problem there.

Bozon
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2002, 11:21:38 PM »
I like the WWII OL style 6 view.  Think of looking straight back without turning your shoulders with a slight head tilt.  

Look over your right shoulder 90 degrees, then tilt/roll your head slightly clockwise and look up/right.  (sorry, bad description)  I'll look for a 6 view from ww2ol screen shot.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2002, 03:14:37 AM »
What Tac said, that is how thinks work in RL. In RL with a single 5g turn you will have problems even to move vertically your arms or legs.

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2002, 05:38:29 AM »
I would like to see IL2 style "6 a clock" view with G-effect.

Im not RL pilot but I think fighter pilots keep their seatbelts tight  at least during hard maneuvering combat.

How about two sets of views?
Views with loose and tight  seatbelts.

During your cruising to the battle area you can keep belts loose (view mode 1.) for the better overall viewing.

Before engage you tightening your belts (view mode 2.) for your own safety. You cant see that well but... Hard maneuvering during combat with loose belts cause you smash your head all over and result is fadeout like wounded pilot but you still could recover totaly. If pilot continue this head banger, the result is wounded pilot (Lobotomy?) and finaly dead pilot...

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2002, 08:13:03 AM »
Oct,  do the rear view mirrors work on the WWIIOnline aircraft?

Westy

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2002, 09:15:58 AM »
How many of you guys have actually flown a plane, let alone did an aerobatic routine?  I did, and I highly recommend it because you guys have ALOT of misconceptions. http://www.warbirdadventures.com

Mandoble wrote:
In RL with a single 5g turn you will have problems even to move vertically your arms or legs.

Not true at all.  We pulled several 5 G manuevers, as a part of a overall 30 min flight of continuous aerobatics, and while it does make moving slightly slower (and I mean slightly) its not like your in a slow motion dream sequence.

Xjazz wrote:
Im not RL pilot but I think fighter pilots keep their seatbelts tight at least during hard maneuvering combat.

Before engage you tightening your belts (view mode 2.) for your own safety. You cant see that well but... Hard maneuvering during combat with loose belts cause you smash your head all over and result is fadeout like wounded pilot but you still could recover totaly. If pilot continue this head banger, the result is wounded pilot (Lobotomy?) and finaly dead pilot

Again, not true at all.  When I strapped into the cockpit, the instructor pilot told me to not tighten down my straps because there was no need and I would just be uncomfortable.  So I left them so loose I was starting to get nervous, and then he checked them and told me to loosen them further.  It turns out he was right.  As long as you pull positive G's, the forces themselves keep you in the seat, and if you would pull negative G's, at most you would only move a couple of inches in the straps and basically float.  The only time  I "smashed my head" on the canopy was because I was looking at the scenery going "wowowowowow", and we pulled a hard rolling manuver, I popped my head on the side of the canopy (fyi I wasn't even dazed let alone incapacitated, knocked out, or labotomized). Even in the hard rolling manuevers, if you know its coming (which I did when I was flying the plane) it is quite easy to keep your head straight and free from concussive effects.

Since these types of debates started, I've also asked every WWII vet pilot I have met the same question, about how tight they wore their belts.  Their descriptions match what I've described too you.  Basically the only time you want your belts tight, is during a landing or especially a crash landing situation.

Offline K West

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2002, 09:32:52 AM »
"Basically the only time you want your belts tight, is during a landing or especially a crash landing situation."

Or if you were flying at a Country Fair doing a loopety-loop in an open cockpit aeroplane :)

What Vermillion said is dead on. Since "playing" these online WWII aircombat sims/games I've asked any pilot I've been able to about gunnery, strapping in etc etc. I've been straped into a few musuem displays by the vets themselves to get "the feel." Essentially, there is as much flexibility of body in an airplane as there is in an automobile.

The often spouted simmer/gamers "test" to "sit in a high back chair with your back straight and rigid while turning your neck..." is pure baloney.

Westy

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2002, 10:46:11 AM »
yes verm, but tell me if you are able to look straight behind your seat while pulling 8g barrel rolls?

All im saying is the more g's the slower you get to turn your head around. Im not saying it will be a slow-motion head turn at 7g's, but definetely not as quickly as we have it now.

My personal experience with G's, while NOT being in a plane, was in that spinning-centripetal G force ride in a carnival fair.

They said they were pulling 6G's and we were standing up against mats that were placed on the walls. That thing started and we could barely move a hand, trying to look to the side to see my friend's face, heeelllll I couldnt lift my cheek off the damn wall for the whole ride.

I AM A WUSS. so what? ;)

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2002, 11:07:42 AM »
How close to the center of the spin were ya Tac?

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2002, 11:15:31 AM »
S! Vermillion!

Thanks for your feedback! Now I know better.