Author Topic: BoB in the CT this Weekend!  (Read 823 times)

Offline takeda

• Nickel Member
aaarggghgh
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2002, 11:49:31 AM »
Mussst...... suscrrribe...... againnnn.........to.....AH... ..

Offline Wlfgng

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.nick-tucker.com
BoB in the CT this Weekend!
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2002, 01:33:38 PM »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2002, 08:58:07 AM »
hblair... yes, it has been handed to you on a silver platter.  You have the only (reasonable)place available to fly the early war planes.   Early war planes have been added that everyone wants to fly and you have the only place to do it.   All the time consuming details that you think you need are probly ones that will drive people away.  You can take the opportunity to grow the Ct or.... to simply continue to shoot yourself in the foot.  If you can't get numbers with this freebie then there is no hope for you guys.

wlfgang.. your phony tough guy routine is getting annoying.   It will be fun to meet you.   Not sure who you smacked last but I generaly don't take it that well.
lazs

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2002, 09:59:00 AM »
<<>>

Probably and probably not.  Be fair and realize you are speculating.  I'd bet money your crystal ball isn't any better than anyone else's.

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2002, 11:46:23 AM »
You may want to add a bombs dropped on british bases component to more simulate the real thing and get those squareheads up in bombers :)  Each bomb hit on a british base is worth...lets say .20 of a plane destroyed.

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2002, 09:09:54 PM »
I thought about that, Crash.  The main drawback of course is that it invites milkrunning worse than making base captures the main objective.  By making the objective a simple air-to-air contest, it insures the winners won against other live players.  However, by weighting it as you suggest, it might be worth a try.  Let me look at the log numbers and such.  Good suggestion.

Sabre
CT Staff
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2002, 08:29:45 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
All the time consuming details that you think you need are probly ones that will drive people away.  

Yeah, details like shortening the amount of flying time to find a fight, huh? Lessee here, we shorten flying time and people won't come to the CT? Where do you stand? It changes week to week. Are you for or against quick combat? Make up your mind.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2002, 09:04:52 AM »
shortening flight time is a no brainer.   a kid could draw a map in 5 minutes that had closer fields.   that is not "time consuming"...

Making it so that fields can be porked but not captured is a time consuming detail that will drive people away.   These planes are slow.   Glad we both agree that they need short distances to the fight.  making any of the planes "perk" is a detail that will drive people away..  limiting the allready limited planeset is a time consuming detail...  Simple think before you work on a "feature".  Ask yourself if it will make it harder to get into the fight or if it will kill parity.  
lazs

Offline milnko

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cameltoe.org
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2002, 11:47:33 AM »
shortening flight time is a no brainer.   a kid could draw a map in 5 minutes that had closer fields.   that is not "time consuming"...

Simple think before you work on a "feature".  Ask yourself if it will make it harder to get into the fight or if it will kill parity.

yes, it has been handed to you on a silver platter.

I fear tho that the "shoot ourselves in the foot" mentality is oozing out of even this setup tho...

10Bears, NUTTZ, Sabre, HBlair and the rest have really been putting forth the EFFORT to do something with the CT, while you merely sit back  on your thumb and critique everything they do.

Your insulting remarks tend to taint any suggestions and ideas you put forth.

I've never met ya, but I've gotten the impression over the years that your basically a good guy. So I have to assume the snide remarks are really just "attention grabbers".

You should take a turn at setting up the arena, as this would certainly give you a clearer understanding of how much planning the CT Staff does trying to please everyone all the time.

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2002, 12:02:13 PM »
The fact that Lazs does'nt like parts of the setup is surely a sure indication that you have things pretty historically right and have a good setup. Don't let the CT turn into an arcade arena Lazs already has that in the MA.

Big to the CT crew my squad has started to use this arena more and more and it often takes preference over the MA even with low numbers (low numbers this weekend due to Sicily event). I had a blast last night with around 13 people in there taking up first a Spitfire Mk1 then a Hurricane Mk1 to intercept JU-88's attacking our coastal fields. I've waited a long time to fly early war (remember one of the early intervews HT did for SimHQ where we could submit questions? well mine was a "when?" for early war planes) Every week the CT crew turn out some great setups.

Offline ZeroPing

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2002, 12:19:43 PM »
This game will never be like RL, there will always be stealing feilds etc etc. Personly i think this new feature (more kills within a week wins) is a GREAT idea. Last CT i rember loging off with equal fields and the next day almost losing the war becuase there wasnt any one on the other team to attack. I can see how this might drive away people, but i think more people would leave BECAUSE of the field capturing (reading all about those strat potatos etc etc) but keep this feature IN the CT. It's kinda fun to shoot up a 165 MPH 109 with .303 cal :)

Peace

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2002, 05:38:17 PM »
Making it so that fields can be porked but not captured is a time consuming detail that will drive people away. These planes are slow. Glad we both agree that they need short distances to the fight. making any of the planes "perk" is a detail that will drive people away.. limiting the allready limited planeset is a time consuming detail... Simple think before you work on a "feature". Ask yourself if it will make it harder to get into the fight or if it will kill parity.
lazs

The whole point of this thread is to get feedback on the setup.  The above quote is from today.  The BoB has been up in the CT since Friday afternoon.  I've got to assume you haven't bothered to check it out, or you'd know the following facts:

1) Fields ARE capture-able
2) NO, repeat, NO aircraft are perked
3) All aircraft and vehicles allowed to each side are enabled at all original bases, just not captured bases.  That last part may seem gamey to some, but we're trying to present the Battle of Britain, not Operation Sealion.

In short, it seems to be what you're asking for.  The one problem I'm trying to figure out how best to handle is radar.  The map has a flaw with the placement (or lack of placement) with radar sites for the Axis.  This gives them spotty radar coverage.  Despite that, people seem to be finding the fight pretty quick.  By the way, there's more to making a viable map, one that HTC will approve for use on their servers, then you understand.  Try it.  Try the CT, too.  And make sure you read the MOTD before you launch.  They you'll be fully informed before making posts in here.

Sabre
CT Staff
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2002, 06:47:28 PM »
Just my two cents worth here....

This setup has been the most fun I've had in AH in ages, I usually pop into the CT from time to time but lately since the BoB setup it's all I've been flying.  The planeset match up against each other better than than anything else I can think of, pilot quality seems to determine more of the fights I've seen in there than the crate they're flying.  The only thing I would like to see more of (and it's been mentioned above) is to give the LW some incentive to mount bomber raids on England.  This might not be feasible with the #'s that are usually in the CT, I also have no idea how to work the scoring or what server options are available, so I'm content to ride off into the wild blue in my Emil and look for some spits to shoot at.   :D
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
The Emporer has no clothes...
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2002, 08:51:27 PM »
...and Lazs didn't log any time in the CT arena.  The guy who supported Rolling plane sets in WB's because his beloved early war aircraft were protected was unseen in the CT all week end.  Poor Laz, maybe one day you can make your mind up how that universe revolves around you. :D

All, great week-end and great BOB set up, had some heart stopping missions from Hazed with JU88's over London, to Ghost in a low dog fight near the coast of France! Man, great week end in the CT. to all that were there!

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2002, 07:48:38 AM »
Looks like I picked the wrong weekend to quit sniffing glue:eek:.. er I mean reload my Puter;)

Will see yas in the BoB,:D