Author Topic: TaxDay  (Read 1308 times)

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
TaxDay
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2002, 12:01:22 PM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu
I've never been taxed on money I didn't make.

The main reason that 1 person can pay as much in taxes as 10 people is that he is actually making 10 times more.

AKDejaVu

OK, Udie is just going nutty, but I don't agree with this statement either.  It would be fine and dandy, except that your tax % increases with your yearly income at certain levels.  In my opinion, the % should stay the same while the dollar amount owed will naturally go up with increased income.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
TaxDay
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2002, 12:09:31 PM »
great idea same day they make minimum wage enough to put all fulltime workers above the poverty level and force the rich to have the same medical care as the poor.

i.e. never happen and it aint the poor stopin it.

Offline takeda

• Nickel Member
TaxDay
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2002, 12:18:51 PM »
Lineal taxes are not fair.

If you take 100$/mo from a guy making 500$/mo you are screwing him badly even though he was already screwed to start with
If you take 10K/mo from a guy making 50K/mo, he is still filthy rich.

So you have to look into this to collect taxes without screwing people too much.

Of course, "bumps" in taxes as you get better pay can be annoying and even a bit kafkian, at my last job I got last January a measly 2% raise which in fact made me get 4$/mo less because i had just passed one of those "bumps".

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
TaxDay
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2002, 12:35:49 PM »
I'm all for nationalized health care.  As for minimum wage, tough toejame.  If you aren't happy with your current level of pay then better yourself and get a better job.

SOB
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
TaxDay
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2002, 12:38:00 PM »
flat tax

heard Russia now has a 15% flat tax, think it was 15 - somewhere around there

and their economy is on an upswing

in my hourly days, you reached a certain point where you lost money because your overtime bumped you into a higher tax bracket
I'd have techs decline OT just for that reason.

Our tax system is a joke.
Every year at this time, I'm reminded of it. Doesn't help that it falls on my birthday :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
TaxDay
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2002, 12:54:00 PM »
I'd really like to be paying less in taxes.  I'd also like for there to be a flat tax.  I just realize a few things:[list=1]
  • My wife and I combine for alot more than most Americans
  • I could have bigger problems than trying to figure out how to juggle 2 car payments, 2 morgage paments and still afford a trip to San Carlos this summer
  • A flat tax would mean the rich would pay less... but we'd still need the money.  How much more would those that are barely getting by be able to make up?
A flat rate just isn't going to work.  I think we can minimize the rate difference, but not eliminate it.  Its just not right.

I'll also call roadkill on any "What's the diference in burning my grass hut, killing my goats and chickens if I don't pay the "king's tax" or the IRS taking my land, property and throwing me in jail? OR harrassing me every day with the threat of jail or confescation of my money/property?" statement.  It tells me that someone has never had to deal with the IRS when they couldn't afford to pay by tax day... that is... they are increadibly out of touch and uninformed.

You want to piss the IRS off?  Lie on your tax return and get caugh.  Sorry... but I feel no pitty for those individuals.

Run into a bad situation that ends up with you owing money and watch the IRS bend of backwards to accomodate you.  I know more than a handfull of people that have been in this situation... and none that have gone to jail, suffered reposession or harassment of any kind.

There is just way too much villification of all that is taxes.  Sorry, but I don't agree to the extent that most portray this situation.

AKDejaVu

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
TaxDay
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2002, 12:55:06 PM »
Oh.. and eagler... what direction was Russia's economy supposed to go?  Down had ceased being an option some time ago.

AKDejaVu

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
TaxDay
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2002, 12:57:16 PM »
I agree with SOB about the minimum wage. Why in the heck do liberals not understand basic economics? Why must minimum wage be enough to support a family? People who work at the minimum wage level are not going to be the sole bread winners in a household in most cases. In my experience, they are usually people just getting started in the workforce or retired people looking for some extra dough.

Raising the minimum wage sounds all cool til you look at other factors in the equation. Like the effect it's going to have on the struggling small business owner who is just starting out. But hey, to heck with him, he's a business owner, he's gotta have plenty of money. :rolleyes:

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
TaxDay
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2002, 01:15:20 PM »
Originally posted by lord dolf vader
great idea same day they make minimum wage enough to put all fulltime workers above the poverty level and force the rich to have the same medical care as the poor.

Places like China are all for this

my 16 year old makes minimum wage - I made it 25 years ago too.
Yeah, I guess if I was a tard and still made it, I'd like to see raised to $40k a year, but then a gallon of milk would be around $20 :rolleyes:

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
TaxDay
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2002, 01:26:55 PM »
Originally posted by takeda
Conservative anarchists crack me up :D

We're called Libertarians.

Originally posted by Eagler
just wondering how many others had to pay Uncle Sam this year....

We all have to pay Uncle Sam I thought?  Am I missing something?  I didn't pay last year because I was a student and had very low income and got credits for education expenses and EIC.  But other than that I have paid every year since I was 18.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
TaxDay
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2002, 01:35:04 PM »
those of us that pay, then pay again today

and those of us that pay and get paid today in the form of a rebate for one reason or another :)

Offline Commander rialbh

• Zinc Member
TaxDay
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2002, 01:42:48 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler

Places like China are all for this

my 16 year old makes minimum wage - I made it 25 years ago too.
Yeah, I guess if I was a tard and still made it, I'd like to see raised to $40k a year, but then a gallon of milk would be around $20 :rolleyes:

But I werk hard fur muh munny! and yer sayin i aint as good as yore kind!!?!?
just cause yore a brain surgeon and i'm a toilet cleaner don't meen yer gooder.

where do ewe git off buddyy!??

tipicall rich feller, always wantin to take away from mah kind.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
TaxDay
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2002, 01:44:04 PM »
Eagler if you pay today you are coming out ahead.  The evil of withholding is that it denies us a fair rate of return on a large portion of our income.  Instead of being able to keep the tax money all year, earning a fair rate of return in a savings account or investment, we have it confiscated by the IRS as soon as we earn it.  

The people who really get screwed are those who are getting a refund today.  Instead of being able to use that money to earn a rate of return, you were forced to let it sit in the Treasury for up to 16 months, only able to get it back by submitting an intrusive and overcomplicated series of forms.

It's very important to have as little money withheld as is legally possible.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2002, 01:46:28 PM by funkedup »

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
TaxDay
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2002, 02:59:21 PM »
Originally posted by AKDejaVu
Um.. are you joking udie?  If not.. let me know and I can explain to you just how far up your bellybutton your head currently is.

AKDejaVu

No joke.  I would submit to you that if you think somebody is crazy for squeaking about how much tax they pay you are the one with the head "far up your hass"  Smells good eh? :)

Tahgut,

I know we have to pay taxes.  Read my post above.  I wouldn't mind paying freakin 1/2 my money in taxes if they wouldn't waste it, or if I qualified for any of the stuff they give people with my/yours/our money, but since I'm a white male southerner I get no rights as to where my tax dollars go.

Do i agree with wellfare, yes.  If they would spend it right and give it to the people who actually need it, who can't work not those who won't work.  

Minimum Wage?  I don't know anybody who makes it besides my roommates son.  It's been over 10 years since I made minimum wage.  If me a highschool/college drop out can make more than the minimum so can anybody else.  It sucks to be sure and I had hard times back then, but I grew as a person and saw what needed to be done to make more, and then I did it.

Personaly I think that we should be at a 15-20% flat tax.  Nobody making under 30k a year would pay anything.  Single moms making 40-45k or less would pay nothing.  That would be fair to the poor and lower middle class.   As it is now I'm with SOB,  I make less cash now after my last raise :)  how in the Hell does that make since?

IRS SUCKS!

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
TaxDay
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2002, 03:15:51 PM »
I'm reading............Happy Birthday Eagler