Author Topic: Is A Bomber Ruining Your Day?  (Read 1260 times)

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
Is A Bomber Ruining Your Day?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2001, 07:04:00 PM »

Originally posted by Sunchaser:

Hey Sling, you have not shot me down lately, where ya been?
Thanks for the invite but those pointy hats just look toooooooo silly.

Gee...first you wouldnt join me when I was a cRook because you said you liked the leather underwear in knitland too much.  Now you wont join me in bishland because we wear funny hats?!?!  Ridiculous.  Been spending most of my time on the knit front lately.  Got tired of hearing the gangbanging whines comin' from yer cRook buddies all the time.    See ya up tonite.  Maybe I will try to hunt ya down.  

Offline DRILL

• Copper Member
      • http://www.457thbgh.com
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2001, 08:40:00 PM »
Well said suncher no matter what sim ya fly you got a lot of suckling babys that cry abought buffs .lol if me drill can shot 3 b17s dn ( was a few days ago   )in 1 sorte
 seems to me them cry babies have not took the time to learn how to do it . and yes i got hurt but they never made the base and thats DEFENCE   ..least i think so  
  so let em cry or learn to deal with it what i say ...oh ya this is a game and a very good 1 at that..god help those that  
 will 1 day get it all togeather os should i say the receaving end will need the help

sips drink moves on  
   <S> all who try  

------------------
DRILL
Drill /384th FA/CH 364th

Offline bowser

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2001, 09:11:00 PM »
If you're trying to crank the animosity up between the fighter and bomber groups a couple of notches...this thread willl probably serve it's purpose nicely.

I think I get it.  Your trying to piss of the fighter guys so they'll stop ignoring you and start attacking..right?  Sorry, I'm not falling for that one.  

bowser

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2001, 09:14:00 PM »

NO

Offline hazed-

• Gold Member
      • http://combatarena.users.btopenworld.com
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2001, 09:47:00 PM »
tour 14 i picked on the buffs...

76 kills of buffs to 22 deaths.

Not always easy to kill but hey they WERE hard to kill in RL
the guns on bombers seem fair to me.
if the gunner is good he 'should' be able to hit you.
take your time  

------------------
Hazed
3./JG2

[This message has been edited by hazed- (edited 04-17-2001).]

Offline loser

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2001, 10:43:00 PM »

Originally posted by Vulcan:
I think terrorizing buffs is almost as much fun as terrorizing Goon pilots  

Just think yourself lucky I only had 20 rounds of ammo left the other day sunchaser  

Nice shootin btw

lol you go to hell vulcan!!!!!
im a hella good shot in a buff but guys who fly like vulcan (in the terrorizing fashion) will waste me everytime

they prevent you from keeping course, lining up targets and having the chance to look in your bombsight by harrassing the hell outta the buff without actually shooting on every pass.....

<S> to all patient buff killers!

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2001, 01:00:00 AM »
I usually fly my buff at 10k. I dont think Ive ever had a lanc to 20 k.
You hit it right on the head Sunchaser.

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2001, 02:51:00 AM »
My bomber is ruining my day.
Suppose I'm a dedicated fighter pilot and HTC gives me a 190 with AMRAAMs, autoadjusting convergence, turbolasers and external views. Obviously I would look for a different sim. I imagine how frustrated should be the real hardcore buff pilots with their actual planes in AH.

Most of you are counting the effectivity of buffs based on K/D ratio. Ok, for me, destroying and hangar is a more vital kill than destroying a fighter. So, the REAL K/D ratio for buffs, supposing they were shoot down on every mission, is about 2 - 6 to 1. Now compare it with the average 1 - 1 achieved by fighters and lets talk about gameplay concesions ...

Offline Twist

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2001, 07:50:00 AM »
Whew..I've noticed Sun's strategic actions against the mean old enemy   for quite some time, and watched him fly support for base captures more times than I can count. I'm sure glad he's on our side!!!

<S> go man go!
Razer

Hellcat FG

"They porked the Hellcat? Why did they do that?"

Offline Suave1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2001, 08:00:00 AM »
I went hunting buffs in a b26 once . I would drop down in front of a buff and shoot it down with my tail gunner . I had killed about three and these buff drivers had the gall to start complaining about buff guns on chan1 .

lazs

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2001, 08:26:00 AM »
sun..U are operating under a misconception... You seem to feel that people enjoy the challenge of killing buffs or that they find it a worthy thing to do so far as some distorted idea of "strat".  

Most simply ignore bombers because they are unrealistic and unfun.   Unfun is simple enough to understand right?  

they are no fun to shoot down.   A lot of work to kill a lumbering turd of the air.  They can be shot down with enough time spent but it is time poorly spent for a lot of us... there are a lot more interesting things to do than play sky footsie with endless streams of respawning bombers.  

Unrealistic?  sure.. 1 man crewed B17's on lone missons with laser bombs and slaved gunsets.  Spray the glass nose of one and surprise... the pilots are still alive.  The targets are unrealistic and have an unrealistic effect on the game.  The bombers are so concession ridden that they aren't even part of the sim... They are like open topped flakpanzers that are invulnerable to straffing... gimicky gamey concessions that.... If they do have a place in the sim... at least we ought to have the option of ignoring them without it ruining the game even worse than fighting em.

The skill level of the bomber pilots varies wildly with most merely on some kind of ackstar suicide run but it still takes the same amount of time and effort to kill em.  What amount?   Well... the amount of time it takes to kill em is about twice what they are worth in fun/kill ratio.

If you like to fly and fight simulated fighters against other simulated fighters in large groups with some semblance of parity then you probly hate the bombers and the way they cause the uneven gangbangs and large chunks of boring arena time but... if you care not about simulation and simply want to play the worlds most pathetic strat 3D board game with some of the peices realistic and others not... then you probly think that they are fine as is.

and that's why i don't just spend all my time online setting up and attacking bombers.
lazs

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2001, 08:40:00 AM »
Most guys *like* to fly their buffs under 20k, more chance of action, after all, they have almost an equal chance of killing the fighter as the fighter has of killing them...buffs have the advantage of slightly extended .50's and fighters have the advantage of tactics, speed, manueverability and 20mm  

Offline Degas

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2001, 09:59:00 AM »
Well, I've been in the MA for about 4 or 5 days now, and here's my (obviously profound) thoughts.  They may hold some value, because they will illustrate how the bomber modelling impacts the experience of someone new to the game.

Air to air learning curve is MUCH higher than bombing curve.  It is also much higher than bomber gunnery curve.  In a bomber, you are shooting from a stable platform.

My style of play is oriented around teamwork, and making a contribution to my team's effort.  I have found that the only contribution I can make as a fighter jock is to soak up lead and die so maybe another of my team can get an easier kill.  On the other hand, I can actually be of some use to my team (and have a lot of fun) flying a buff/goon or manning a gun in an Ostie or in the Task Group.

Is soaking up lead in a fighter any fun for me?  Only if it's part of a coordinated team effort, and those are few and far between.  Most of the better pilots on my team (the Rooks), and on the others (I would suspect), seem to be hunting perks, not attempting to defeat the other countries.

As an example, let's take the action of the last couple of days.  On Monday/Tuesday, the Rooks got wiped out and the game reset.  When I logged on yesterday morning, we had anywhere from 11 to 25 Rookies on the roster.  But those few began working together.  By the time most players got off work/logged on, we had made substantial progress.

I was feeling quite good about this.  Once we got 50+ teammates online, the efforts began to fragment again.  But we still had two main areas to concentrate on, one Bish and one Knight.

We were doing really well, but I noticed that we began bypassing what were obvious strategic targets in favor of the shortest path to the HQ islands.  Didn't make much sense to me, but my fellow newbie (Niblitz) and I took our buffs along on the Knight offensive.

Suddenly, about midnight US EST, I see the first truly massive organized mission come up (all jabo).  Some of the hot sticks started a mission called "Reset the Knights".  Being new, I thought this was a push for revenge from the pasting we took on Monday, so I'm going "yeah!".  I told the team that I had two buffs, and what could we do?  Dead silence

We were already heading on a mission to the base the l337's were heading to, and went in and took out the FH and fuel, and a few odds and ends (they didn't leave much, there were over a dozen of them, heh).  Dead silence again, LOL.

By the time we RTB'd and bombed up again, it was basically all over.  Well, that's fine.  We got to make our small contribution, the game had reset, and we had groundhog day  

Then the channels all lit up with "don't log yet", and "woohoo, perkies!!!!".  To be fair, there were a few "WTG, Rookies", as well.  I sat a watched the posts, and it was all about perks and points.  About 'rados and 152's.  Not much (um, not anything), about the coordination involved, or anything else about teamwork.  

No salutes to the opposition, just "woohoo, perks!"  .

And I noticed that the "reset the nits mission" had started almost exactly six hours after most people would have logged on (at least in the US).  This, all of a sudden, made sense, given the post in the game that "everyone who has been in for 6 hours gets the points".

This has probably been beaten to death in the years that I haven't been here, LOL.  It's probably a fact that the only way to keep the long-time players interested in the game is with the points/perks/rank system.

I don't think I like it much, though.  It reminds me too much of hated Quake-type Ladder Games.  

And it smells to high heaven of elitism.

AKSeaWulfe

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2001, 10:02:00 AM »

Originally posted by Degas:
And it smells to high heaven of elitism.

And you're from Bismarck, ND.... EVERYONE is more elite than you!
-SW
(family is from Bismarck, ND)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2001, 10:22:00 AM »
I've been knocked down more than once by that ammo sponge you call a B-17, Sun. I wouldn't change a thing though. I am forced to rush my attack, I pay for it just like I should.

Salute to you or any other buff pilot who endures the nonsense we hear about buff "invincibility". While I can't blame fighters for ignoring bombers (they aren't defenseless, you know  ) I can blame them for complaining about the impact bombers have on the game when you ignore them. It is no more or less than allowing an Osti to walk up to your base unattacked- once it is there you are in deep doo-doo, and it is your own fault.