Author Topic: Low Priority Front  (Read 882 times)

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Low Priority Front
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2001, 11:11:00 PM »
How is this different from 2 seperate arenas?

Lazs says put a 40k mountain range between the areas... yeah, that's 2 seperate arenas.

First thing I would do is fly a Ta-152 over the hump and go hunting for early war sitting duck targets.

what's the big deal with early war planes anyway? You just want to furball them, it's not like you would be using some sort of real-world tactics with them.

------------------
Midnight CO
412th FG "Nightmare Mustangs"[/i]

"You tell them I'm coming.. And Hell's coming with me!" -Kurt Russel Tombstone

lazs

Low Priority Front
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2001, 12:07:00 AM »
midnight u have no vision... I think that some barrier would be quite simple but i will concede that som twit like you may fly 20-30 minutes just to TRY to kill early war planes.  at low alt you would look silly in ur ta 152 for the whole 2 minutes or so that you had to fly it on fumes but even then... it would be way ahead of anything else i've ever seen parity wise.

There would be any number of ways to make a barrier.  one that would discourage all but the most determined  no life twits who would be no real problem in any case.  dodging such a loser (for a couple of clumsy pases) who was running on fumes would just give the early guys a laugh.  "look at that idiot!".
lazs

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Low Priority Front
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2001, 12:57:00 AM »
Great idea.  Lemme know when you've finished building the terrain.

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
Low Priority Front
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2001, 08:29:00 AM »
Lets put things into perspective...

While is possible that someone or even group of someone's will fly to LPF in late war planes like P-51 or Dora, that shouldn't be big problem because they would have to fly 20 minutes to get in LPF. Then they would have to meet slower but more nimble fighters. And if they score any kills they would be quite worthless in perk point sense.

And even then it would be much better situation than we have now, early war planes do not get use almost at all and they can be gangbanged by late war monsters all the time.

Biggest problem would be capturing territory, especially if one country captures whole LPF. When LPF is far away from HPF, almost only possibility for other countries to gain foothold in it would be massive bomber mission or CV.

I think it would be wise to divide arena to three fronts, low, medium and high. They would be populated with early, mid and late war planes. This might be good idea but it would require more arena area used for dividing seas or other obstacles.

------------------
jochen / Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolschevismus!
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

Offline Fokker

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.inbusiness.no
Low Priority Front
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2001, 09:46:00 AM »
The norway map used in scenario should lend itself well to this idea. It should however be enlarged to include more of europe.

lazs

Low Priority Front
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2001, 10:15:00 AM »
joch... u say it so much nicer than i do.

earl, mid, and late eh?  starting to sound vaugely familiar for some reason... Yep, the mid would be the largest and the other two would be quite small... adjusted in size as popularity dictated.

I think some are simply afraid of anything new no matter what... others are afraid that if people aren't "forced" they won't play with em as much.. It's not like that tho.  This arena is about parity and choice for everyone.

It may seem a little radical but in use i bet people would wonder how they ever got along without it.
lazs

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
Low Priority Front
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2001, 10:21:00 AM »
It would be quite easy to divide a map for LPF and HPF (or even LPF, MPF and HPF) for just two countries. But how to divide it for three countries???

The only solution I can think is making these PFs circular...  LPF would be in the center, MPF around it and HPF around both of them. Thus only the LPF could have 3-country-fights (like in the center island on current map). The lake map does not have these fights, thus MPF and LPF would be quite alike the lake map.

The good point of LPF/MPF/HPF suggestion is that it is a long way from HPF to LPF   It would not matter that much if only visiting to the neighbouring area. No real obsticles would be needed either... the distance would do the work. This would also make it harder to attack the HQ from the center of the map and make it easier to work back towards the center with better airplanes.

Actually I began to like this idea so much that I made a picture the show the idea. All this would need is to adjust the plane sets on each base....    

What do you think guys??

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

lazs

Low Priority Front
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2001, 10:20:00 AM »
actually, i think the early and late war stuff only need a corner of the map say.... early war the bottom left hand corner, maybe 20%... late war the top right corner say another 20% chunk with the remaining center 60% going to mid war fields.   The % could be adjusted as to popularity as time went on.  

The way your map shows it would be hard to seperate areas and... allmost impossible to get to some fields within the areas.
lazs

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Low Priority Front
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2001, 11:18:00 AM »
Just divide the 30 day tour into three 10 day chunks.

First 10 days is EARLY war planeset with mid-war planes being cheap perks (2-5 perks) and late war planes being expensive perks (10-50) and the uber planes costing 1.5 times their cost (aka, arado = 70/2=x , x+70=cost). Mid war planes get perkie gaining penalty by shooting early war planes, late war planes get twice the penalty

Next 10 days become MID WAR. Early war planes get a perkie gaining bonus, mid war become unperked and late war become cheap perks. Uber planes cost their current MA cost. mid war planes get perkie gaining penalty by shooting early war planes, late war planes get twice the perkie gaining penalty for shooting mid war planes (and 3X penalty for shooting early war planes)

Day 30 becomes LATE WAR. Early war planes get twice the perkie gaining bonus they had during mid-war, mid-war planes gain a slight perkie bonus for shooting late war planes, and late war planes become un-perked. Uber planes have their perkie cost reduced by 1/3rd (aka, Arado= 70/3=x ,70-x=newcost).late war planes get perkie gaining penalty by shooting mid war planes, late war planes get twice the perkie gaining penalty for shooting early war planes.

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
Low Priority Front
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2001, 01:41:00 PM »

Originally posted by lazs:
actually, i think the early and late war stuff only need a corner of the map say.... early war the bottom left hand corner, maybe 20%... late war the top right corner say another 20% chunk with the remaining center 60% going to mid war fields.   The % could be adjusted as to popularity as time went on.

How would the 3 countries be placed on these areas then? Somekind of unpenetrateable barrier would be needed, thus it would be same as 3 separate arenas. If one could fly over from mid war to early war area, which country would they enter there? Two countries would have a border to mid war, while 3rd would be in the corner... also one midwar country could not have a border to the early war area at all.... see the problem?

The way your map shows it would be hard to seperate areas and... allmost impossible to get to some fields within the areas.
lazs

That is the whole idea of it!!!! No need to build any barriers. Mid war would be the barrier betweeb late and early war!!! Distance does the work.

What do you mean with the last sentence? Impossible to get to some fields? You mean that late war fields are impossible to attack from mid war fields??? I disagree. Usually the country that has been driven back to their home island is being gangbanged or just have lower number of pilots otherwise. And anyways many of us can take fields with early war planes. And in any case, the home islands can be attacked from the outer rim using late war bases, just like at present.

The map should be adjusted though so that these fields are balanced. My picture only showed the general idea, not exact division of areas.

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Low Priority Front
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2001, 05:17:00 PM »
Lazs.. why do you wnat his so bad? What is the point?

You whine not to have a seperate arena, yet you want the planes to be seperated. How much logic is there in that thinking?

I don't fly the Ta-152 anyhow. It would be a P-51D. But that's not the point either.

I don't see how what you are asking for is any different than 2 arenas. If someone wants to fly an early war plane, and there is an arena for it, they could just go there and not have to worry about a late war plane at all.

Besides, no matter what arena you get, you will always be whining about bombers porking your precious fighter hanger and stoping your little "more realistic" furball.

I guess you never saw what a few P-51Ds with 1K bombs can do at an airfield. Um... kill the fighter hangers   Want a film? I'll send you a copy.

------------------
Midnight CO
412th FG "Nightmare Mustangs"[/i]

The 412th is actively seeking P-51 Mustang pilots. E-mail me for more information  davidl@splusnet.com

"You tell them I'm coming.. And Hell's coming with me!" -Kurt Russel Tombstone

Offline Thud

• Nickel Member
Low Priority Front
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2001, 09:24:00 AM »
Very very good idea, hope we'll see this soon. Finally a setup that enables me to fly my hurri!  

------------------
Thud1/Bies

Bring the Hurricane (MKIIC) to AH! (together with the Invader!)

lazs

Low Priority Front
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2001, 09:44:00 AM »
blau and midnight.. you need to keep the areas seperate but seperate arenas are a completely different thing.  

people don't use seperate arenas because of a couple of issues... no one wants to go where there are no people and no one (or very few) wants to be a martyr.   You can't tell beforehand what the numbers are and it is a hassle to log out of one arena and then back into another arena and even worse... it seperates squaddies and friends.  it is divisive.  

seperate areas allow everyone to see what is going on in the whole map... and, this is where midnights fear driven diatribe comes in... people will have choice..  they may not all be in the p51 area or... those that are may be too much for him to handle... A little  TOO fair midnkght?

RPS is ok with me... it's not my first choice but it's better than "all late war all the time"... Problem is... a lot of people hate say early planes.. some hate very late planes... everyone is unhappy some of the time and some are just plain forced out.

the LPF or "area" arena would not leave anyone out but maybe the early area or the late area might not be used much during low numbered times of the day..  Mid war would allways be the most popular IMO but... At least there would be a 'place', that was still part of the game, for some of the less popular or more exotic planes.

RPS falls down in the choice department.. perk falls down in the parity and fairness and learning curve dept.

We all know what midnight is afraid of.... what is anyone else afraid of?   if you want to force people to do what you want then u won't like it... if you like to have an advantage in plane choice then you won't like it.   It's all about choice and parity.  So far, this arena offers the most of both that I've ever seen.
lazs

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
Low Priority Front
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2001, 10:17:00 AM »
P-51D had like 2000 mile range. Even with the fuel multiplier, it should still go at least 500 miles in AH. Map is like 250 miles across, do the math...

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
Low Priority Front
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2001, 02:09:00 AM »
Lazs,

My intrest is in flying the eraly war planes! But I have no problem of facing the mid war planes or occasional late war planes either. I think that there is no need for an absolute barrier between areas! If some late war palne wants to fly all the way from the outer rim to the center, that is ok with me.

If there are absolute barriers, what happens when the LPF area is conquered by one country... action there ceases.. there are no more enemies. Action returns to that area only after a reset, which may take time.

I really think that the Late/Mid/Early war circular areas could work. It would balance the gangbang situation and offer more balanced matchups. Since RPS does not seem to be a popular idea, this could be the second best thing we could have.