Author Topic: HT talks 4XBuffs  (Read 2185 times)

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
HT talks 4XBuffs
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2002, 04:43:37 AM »
It's atleast 64 now you 08 :D

<--- Kommer till Stockholm snart, 24:e Juni rycker jag in i Kungsängen.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
HT talks 4XBuffs
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2002, 04:51:40 AM »
Will be interesting to see how it is implemented. I think it will take some patches or even releases to make it functioning ok in terms of gameplay.

Fariz

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
Re: HT talks 4XBuffs
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2002, 05:08:23 AM »
Originally posted by Virage
HT in MA:
Also, there will still be the capability of only taking one bomber, if preferred....  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Revvin

• Silver Member
      • http://www.ch-hangar.com
HT talks 4XBuffs
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2002, 05:49:44 AM »
If HT makes the norden more realistic then as a buffer I will be very happy. For years I've wanted a sim which models a norden bombsight as closely as possible. As long as everyone else is tweaked like not needing pinpoint accuracy to destroy a target I think it will work very well, perhaps we'll see a tonnage on target setup?

Offline Imp

• Copper Member
HT talks 4XBuffs
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2002, 06:00:41 AM »
Most buff sorties I have made in AH were without a gunner so how am i suppose to defend 4 by myself?

1 pilot with 4 buffs should result in 4 easy kills for fighters.

Realistic Norden is great.

Clouds to hide in would be better IMO.

Offline Wilbus

• Platinum Member
HT talks 4XBuffs
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2002, 06:22:53 AM »
Imp, it was said before, YOU will controll ALL guns of the 4 buffs by just moving ONE gun.

Unless I have missunderstood drasticly that is.
Rasmus "Wilbus" Mattsson

Liberating Livestock since 1998, recently returned from a 5 year Sheep-care training camp.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
HT talks 4XBuffs
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2002, 06:24:46 AM »
Imp a buff in this game is never an easy kill - if the gunner knows his business even remotely.

It's less than 50/50 chance of surviving if you attack a b17 that has an alert gunner. Most successes come by surprise, otherwise mostly the fighter just goes down in flames.

Multiply that by four and you got one heck of a deathstar flying around. I'm really interested to see the outcome and 20 player missions flying b-17's with the drones and annihilating everything in their path. I reckon it's enough to fly in a base at 1k feet and strafe the ground with the turbolasers, the whole base will die in a couple passes.

I wish HT will AT LEAST fix the gunner damage modeling in the game. The gunners practically never die to .50 or lighter hits.. It takes multiple cannon shots to kill g-s probably because theyre modeled like chutes.

It should take only 1-2 hits to kill the gunner just like in reality. Then attacking buffs would become realistic, snipe the gunners from longer range and finish off the rest of the buff from an ideal gunning position.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MuadDib of Dune

• Copper Member
HT talks 4XBuffs
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2002, 08:10:20 AM »
I dont know if anyone has noticed but there does not seem to be ballistic dispertion in the manned gunners spots.  In a buff, Try firing a single gun at the ground when you fly over terrain low.  The impact makes a neat straight line.  No pispertion that I can tell.

This also applies to the manned ack guns.  Just find a piece of terrain far enough out to make small hit sprites and fire without moving the gun.  All hits impact at exactly the same spot.  Grab an osti and try it.  The rounds explode all over the impact area.

If dispertion is not modeled (I dont see it) then perhaps 1.10 would be a good time to give dispertion to the buff guns.

Feel free to try these tests and see for yourself before spouting off like youve got a pair.......

MuadDib.
He who controls the SPICE controls the universe you doof ;)

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
HT talks 4XBuffs
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2002, 08:28:38 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
I see it now....

"AH 1.10 Attack Of The Drones"  :)

lol

Hey Maud run some tests with the .target command and take some s-shots of the target;)

HINT: you will see dispersion
« Last Edit: May 17, 2002, 08:32:02 AM by AcId »

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
HT talks 4XBuffs
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2002, 08:35:18 AM »
I think the problem was with greater dispersion on the buff guns combined with having multiple guns slaved to a single gunner, you ended up with a HUGE cone of fire.  I may be mistaken, but I think HT turned the dispersion down (maybe off?) on the buff guns to prevent them from being too uber.  Because all the buff guns converge on a single location, if you put in proper dispersion, you end up with with a very large cone of fire.  As it is now, the cone of deadly fire is much smaller, BUT if they hit you, they all hit and you die.

Problems with the current setup IMO are that the guns will often fire through the fuselage.  That really sucks.  That and the gun positions being really tough to kill.

That said... I'm sure HTC will balance this so it's reasonable.  The key will be how all the guns are slaved and if they keep them from firing through the fuselage combined with friendly fire within the formation.

Either way, it's going to be VERY interesting!

Offline K West

• Silver Member
HT talks 4XBuffs
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2002, 08:50:42 AM »
"I'm sure HTC will balance this so it's reasonable."

Amen!

This one feature has room for a lot of speculation (more IMO than padlock did before it's release) and I hope that Pyro or HiTech will give a small brief to allay fears as well as make folks happy soon.

I've not been bother by the bomber gun lethality since I learned how to deal with them. Takes time and practice. Now it's a peice of cake.  I've shot them down more (much more) than I ever was by them. I've simply disliked the arcade nature of the bombers here.  I'm hoping that the skill to bombing in AH rises up the complexity ladder several rungs.  I say bring honor and respect to being a "bomber" in AH.   Make "fluffer" a shameful thing of the past.

Offline Kuben

• Zinc Member
HT talks 4XBuffs
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2002, 09:29:54 AM »
Originally posted by Soviet
ok great now de-uberfy the .50cals on the b17 otherwise it is going to be redundant to fight them

Took the words right outta my mouth!  :cool:

Kuben

Offline mason22

• Gold Member
HT talks 4XBuffs
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2002, 09:31:50 AM »
here's another question:

How many of you "Buff Hunters" fly in pairs?

the buff pilot can only aim at one AC at a time. just a thought.  ;)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
HT talks 4XBuffs
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2002, 09:36:48 AM »
Mason: Buff hunters fly all over where buffs fly. If they're paired up then they pair. I don't think anyone in AH flies only to hunt buffs because of the nature of the game. There are no dedicated buff raids like there were in the real war, it's always a mix of 90% fighters and 10% buffs.

Therefore the only buff hunters are the ones who manage to break off the dogfight. That also means that the attacks are in no way organised, if there was a friend odds are he was shot down or engaged somewhere else. One notable point is also that the buff flies mostly alone, he's not paired either like he should - in dozens.

As a sidenote: HT has specifically said that there's nothing NOTHING porked in buff leathality or gunnery. :eek:
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Turbot

• Silver Member
HT talks 4XBuffs
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2002, 09:39:56 AM »
Originally posted by faminz
and is the C47 a buff?

Going to bet "a Buff" in this context is going to mean planes with a bombsight.  Not C47s or IL2's.   Which raises another question, I wonder how dive bombing will be handled (thinking b26 here).