Author Topic: M16  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Wingnut_0

• Copper Member
      • http://www.Luftjagerkorps.com
M16
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2002, 12:38:24 AM »
The 82nd SPS (USAF) got our 1st batch of A2's in 94'.  Until then my A1 was stamped "Singer" (for Singer sewing company..hehe).

We also turned in our M-60's in late 93, early 94 about the same time we stopped getting bulk replacement gear and were allowed to "kinda" spend money where we needed it.

Got rid of Tent halves and got 4 man pop tents (very light, roomy and more durable.  Also purchased all several heavy duty 4-wheelers for perimeter duty. :D

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
M16
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2002, 12:44:00 AM »
i spite of what you see in hollywood movies, full auto weapons are not meant to fire on continous full auto ( a M14 will enpty a 20 rnd mag in about 2 sec ) for effective fire you shoot in 2-3 rnd bursts , thats why all modern auto weapons have the 1 and 3 rnd selector switch.

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
M16
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2002, 01:08:03 AM »
Not sure what rifle we use but we do have super high tech...

...underware.

You can also keep abreast of our cutting edge research into the field of...

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/equip/hab/2/253_e.asp

...combat bras.

Heheh, just a small part of the "Clothe the Soldier" program.

[ur][http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/equip/hab/2/2_e.asp[/url]

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
M16
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2002, 03:22:36 AM »
Originally posted by Wingnut_0
........ Also purchased all several heavy duty 4-wheelers for perimeter duty. :D

ATV's or Trucks?  We had about 8 ATV's out at Welford back in the late 80's, early 90's.  Seemed like everyone who got on one suddenly experienced severe crainial retardation.  We could never keep more than 2 on the road at a time.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Wingnut_0

• Copper Member
      • http://www.Luftjagerkorps.com
M16
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2002, 03:37:31 AM »
ATV's.  We used them strictly for ABGD or the occasional airshow.  Never remember any problems except for 1 which was used as a test bed for the ATV off road championships..LOL

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
M16
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2002, 04:11:15 AM »
Originally posted by easymo
I was on the M6O MG most of the time. But when I did carry a rifle, guard duty, ect., it was a M14. We were so refined the M14 had no full auto. (If you had a key there was a switch on the side. But you would just end up shooting at sky.). The M16 was a POS with a stick built into the side, to poke the bullet in, when it got stuck.

Easymo

Your description of the M14 reminded me of a time when I was up at Auburn as a student, and went to the shooting range to try out a muzzleloader I built from a kit.  Set up about five or six milk jugs, (and some beer cans), at about 100 yards.  My roommate and I were the only ones there, besides the range keeper.

About the time I was getting ready to shoot, a couple rough looking fellows came to the range with a M14, and they proceeded to blast away at my targets until the clip popped out with a distinctive sound.  LOL

That M14 pours out some awesome firepower.  I think it was set on full auto, and they shot our carefully arranged targets to pieces.  I did manage to dead-center hit a couple milk jugs before the M14 got to 'em.  Sure made me try harder.  I was determined to hit at least one of those jugs. :D

Les
« Last Edit: July 02, 2002, 04:16:14 AM by Leslie »

Offline fdiron

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
M16
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2002, 05:11:43 AM »
I know that in Somalia U.S. Army Rangers and Delta Force Troops had alot of trouble with wounded Somalis.  Apparently the .223 rounds did not tumble, nor did they inflict enough damage to even knock a person down (unless shot in the head or heart).

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
M16
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2002, 05:17:43 AM »
.223 = 5.56mm?

Offline devious

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.jg301-wildesau.de
M16
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2002, 07:19:02 AM »
.223 Remington = 5.56x45 NATO

and no, the 5.56 M16 is not designed to wound... at the 950 m/s it does, the bullet fragments while the temporary cavity (tissue displaced by the impact) from initial bullet impact is still more than fist-size -> very fatal internal wounds.

That's the problem with the M4, where bullet velocity drops under the about critical 900 m/s too fast, causing the bullet not to fragment and penetrate through the target -> small, nonfatal puncture.

As always with weapons of war, they're designed to DROP THE ENEMY (not necessarily kill, but DROP THE SOB right there)

A good link to get started on terminal ballistics: http://www.molonlabe.net/johns/terminal.htm

Also, M16A2 limits fire to single shot and 3rd-bursts, to prevent the ami wimps ;) from just spraying empty the magazine to no effect from prone position/foxholes. M16A1 still has full auto.

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
M16
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2002, 08:27:16 AM »
The problem they were having is a result of the ammo that they were using. They were using geneva convention complient full metal jacket ammo aka ball ammo . Unlike ammo that one would use to kill a deer, it does not expand or mushroom .

Offline Ddriag

• Zinc Member
M16
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2002, 12:06:54 PM »
I heard a story about the M16 years ago, the SAS stopped using them in Malaya  because of one major problem. When you hit someone with the butt it did'nt hurt enough. They used the SLR instead which was suitably heavy and hard.

That might not be true tho'!

Offline Samm

• Silver Member
M16
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2002, 12:12:55 PM »
The SAS often uses the m16 .

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
M16
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2002, 12:25:54 PM »
Originally posted by fdiron
I know that in Somalia U.S. Army Rangers and Delta Force Troops had alot of trouble with wounded Somalis.  Apparently the .223 rounds did not tumble, nor did they inflict enough damage to even knock a person down (unless shot in the head or heart).

( I want to say up front that I've never been in combat and I'm not 'looking' for the experience.  All I know on these topics it what I've read)

I think the use of a local drug call 'Kaat' (sp) might have had something to do with this.  The Somalies start chewing it around Noon and in a couple of hours they are 'feeling no pain' physically or mentally.  In this state getting hit by a round has no 'shock' effect and they just keep coming.  

Finally, if you've ever read the book 'Starship Troopers' (not the moive) you know that the first enemies our hero meets were called the 'Skinnies'.   This is the name that US troops started calling the Somalis.

:)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
M16
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2002, 01:38:52 PM »
M4-A1 has single shot, 3 rd burst and full auto capability.
M4-A2 has just single shot and 3 rd burst.

A1 used by selected groups, like Special Forces etc.
A2 used by conventional forces.

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
M16
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2002, 03:16:02 PM »
Originally posted by Kratzer
I believe the canadians use the M16A3 with the full auto trigger group. EDIT: that is to say, they have it designated as such... I really don't know if they actually use it...

Was this the same Canadian armed forces group that was deemed unsuitable for combat at the beginning of Desert Storm?