Author Topic: Another point for the no "God" crowd  (Read 2379 times)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Another point for the no "God" crowd
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2002, 11:43:36 PM »
Conservatives tend to support those causes that seem obviously common sense to them, without caring one whit how it affects others or our freedoms.

Now who's generalizing? ;)

Offline -dead-

• Silver Member
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2002, 11:59:58 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
dead
why do WE celebrate them here in this country? I don't care what came first...
Oh you mean nowadays? Why presents and chocolate of course! :D Ask any child (or advertiser ;) ) - they'll soon set you straight. Hence the 2 big icons are Santa Claus & the Easter Bunny. Same goes with Valentines day, father's day, mother's day... etc etc. The holy message: buy, buy, buy.  
Interesting to note that Xmas arrived in the US quite late on, too. The pilgrim fathers banned it in their colony for being a nasty pagan feast. Alabama was the first state to make it a legal holiday in 1836. Oklahoma was the last to make it a holiday in 1907.
However I was under the impression that your original argument was that Easter & Xmas are entirely Xian festivals, so godless people shouldn't celebrate them. ;)
all you godless ppl, do you celebrate Christmas or Easter?
Isn't that hypocritical on your part if you don't at least partially subscribe to the Christian faith? Or do you look the other way and take the presents and the time off work/school anyway ..
According to my admittedly cursory research, the festivals both appear to be pagan in origin - still if you're happy as a Xian to "look the other way and take the presents and the time off work/school anyway" that's not a problem. But to quote your buddy JC "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone". :D
Here's an interesting intro to Mithras (Roman underground cult god of the sun) for your edification:
The entirely unearthly Mithras was worshipped as the 'Good Shepherd', 'the Way, the Truth, and the Light', and as redeemer, saviour and Messiah. Mithras was supposed to have been born to a virgin on (what is now) 25 December, and was visited by shepherds and Magi. He travelled and taught, cast out devils, made miracle cures, held a last supper, was killed, buried in a rock tomb and rose again after three days, at the time of the spring equinox in March (equivalent to the Christian Easter). Mithraism included Sunday worship, with a Eucharist and sacraments. By appropriating features of Mithraism, the early followers of Jesus made their beliefs appeal to pagans. St Augustine even said that the priests of Mithras worshipped the same God as he did.
Source: http://www.humanism.org.uk/jesus.asp
Apparently, Mithras's last supper was with 12 guests (representing the 12 signs of the zodiac), eating mizd, a piece of bread marked with a cross.  [mmmm Hot cross bun anyone?]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2002, 12:13:09 AM by -dead- »
“The FBI has no hard evidence connecting Usama Bin Laden to 9/11.” --  Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI, June 5, 2006.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2002, 12:06:30 AM »
I would just like to add that this is a really long thread, you all probably already know how I feel about this so I'll save you the post and I'm going to bed! ;)

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2002, 06:50:40 AM »
hey dead

thanks for the explanation :rolleyes:

I'm sure all ppl who do not believe in a Christian God, has researched it to the point you have and justify there actions accordingly  ;)

it's bull, used to be called Christmas/Easter break - now to be PC to the minority & keep the low life lawyers off their back, it's called "Winter/Spring" break.  

Just another small "FLUSH" in the big picture ............................. . on our happy & merry way to a Sodom and Gomorrah civilization
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Arfann

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2002, 07:08:48 AM »
hey dead

thanks for the explanation :rolleyes:

I'm sure all ppl who do not believe in a Christian God, has researched it to the point you have and justify there actions accordingly  ;)

it's bull, used to be called Christmas/Easter break - now to be PC to the minority & keep the low life lawyers off their back, it's called "Winter/Spring" break.  

Just another small "FLUSH" in the big picture ............................. . on our happy & merry way to a Sodom and Gomorrah civilization

Mmmmm. Sodom and Gomorrah!  (best Homer Simpson voice).

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2002, 07:24:47 AM »
Originally posted by LAGUERRE
Be in a life or death situation and I promise you even THE TOUGHEST(in their own minds) will cry out to God, now,,,,,,God may be in different flavors for any one person, but to say there is NO God is very foolish.

I can say to myself there is no God.On my death bed I will say the same.When I go,I will go with my dignity.

If there is a judgement day,I also believe one will be judged by their actions...Not their beliefs.

**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2002, 08:08:10 AM »
Originally posted by SirLoin

If there is a judgement day,I also believe one will be judged by their actions...Not their beliefs.

Very true - the rub is, don't ones beliefs controls ones actions?

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2002, 08:08:41 AM »
Originally posted by eskimo2

Ask yourself, if the school code said "...and I will forever love Allah.", would this bother you?  Would you want it changed?  How would you feel about a child who fought against THIS school code?

eskimo

BTW, noone answer this question.

Anyone?

No?

:rolleyes:

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2002, 08:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Kieran

Now who's generalizing? ;)

Dammit Kieran... get back to work! :p

I should have said "some". I hope Hortlund is at his Ann Coulter fanboi meeting. :eek:

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2002, 08:16:27 AM »

Unfortunatley,that is very true...I'm sure a lot of New Yorkers would also agree.
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Arfann

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2002, 08:18:33 AM »

Not necessarily. Some believe that to be saved, christened, or whatever is all it takes to get into hebben. All their sins will be forgibben. There's lots of lessons and rules and such, but we're only human, right?  (wink-wink, nudge-nudge, say no more say no more!)

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2002, 08:22:07 AM »
"A nodd's as good as a wink to a blind bat.."
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2002, 08:50:03 AM »
simply give parents a viable choice for their kids schooling.   Give them their own money back in the form of vouchers and if the public schools are working then people will continue to support them.  If not.... they can just go somewhere else.   The reason these arguments about what is done in public schools is so heated is because we are forced to pay for them till we are bled white and unable to pay for an alternative.

If we had vouchers we could simply send out kids to a better school and all the things that the nutso's in public school do would simply be funny not anger inducing.   Ebonics, bi lingual and new math would just be funny and.... .  Public schools would teach em at their peril
lazs

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2002, 09:07:54 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
simply give parents a viable choice for their kids schooling.   Give them their own money back in the form of vouchers and if the public schools are working then people will continue to support them.  If not.... they can just go somewhere else.   The reason these arguments about what is done in public schools is so heated is because we are forced to pay for them till we are bled white and unable to pay for an alternative.

If we had vouchers we could simply send out kids to a better school and all the things that the nutso's in public school do would simply be funny not anger inducing.   Ebonics, bi lingual and new math would just be funny and.... .  Public schools would teach em at their peril
lazs

OHHH NOOOO!!!

I agree with laz on sumpin !!! :)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2002, 09:10:52 AM »
Trouble is, Lazs, once you give people vouchers you will have the same thing happen in private schools. The problem with public schools in part is the various directions the constituency wants to go. Private schools work well because to some extent they can ignore that tugging. Drop a larger number of people into those schools, let them put up a few buildings to handle the growth, grow accustomed to the cash flow, and see what happens. You'll either see administrations bending to the will of the people or a lot of fire sales.

You suggest vouchers solve the problem because parents could simply switch schools if they were unhappy.

I say (aside from the fact school hopping is very bad on students) the parents merely carry their problems with them when they go.

As long as we operate in a society where every diverse group needs their demands met NOW, no matter the impact on other diverse groups, you are going to see this kind of problem. Sending them to private school on vouchers only makes public schools out of private schools.