Author Topic: News - Wow  (Read 737 times)

Offline Skyfoxx

• Silver Member
News - Wow
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2002, 08:50:10 AM »
Spitboy
From a recent WB refugee, welcome to AH. :)

"Consider your own fortunes gentlemen the deepest circle of hell is reserved for traitors and mutineers."

Offline crowbaby

• Copper Member
News - Wow
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2002, 08:51:34 AM »
In response to the milk run/empty missions worry - and as an alternative to automated mission generation - i think once it's up and running for a while, some people could have gained high enough ranks to post missions. That way we would get up to a dynamic war which would be amazing. I know this sounds like WW2OL - but this is AH, so it will be better :)

I've said it before - but i think this is an amazing innovation for AH that will give people more gameplay choices and answer a lot of the pro/anti furballing complaints on these boards.

Unlike Faminz, i've no interest in seeing AH turn into a FPS, i like it as a flight sim, tanks, buildings, etc. interest me when they interact with aircraft. The more it develops as a realistic flight sim, the more i love it.

Unlike Gofaster and Wotan i don't think we're all that desperately in need of more planes, much as i love them. HT could tread water by releasing 5 new planes a month for years and people would still complain that they couldn't make realistic scenarios because of gaps in the planeset. I think 1.11 sounds genuinely exciting.

Offline BUG_EAF322

• Gold Member
      • http://bug322.startje.com
News - Wow
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2002, 08:59:49 AM »
I never lost faith in HTC

hint
:D

Offline Spitboy

• Zinc Member
News - Wow
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2002, 09:07:01 AM »
Originally posted by crowbaby
In response to the milk run/empty missions worry - and as an alternative to automated mission generation - i think once it's up and running for a while, some people could have gained high enough ranks to post missions. That way we would get up to a dynamic war which would be amazing. I know this sounds like WW2OL - but this is AH, so it will be better :)

The problem is, is doesn't quite work out that way in WW2OL. You gain rank, and then post a mission to attack a CP. The "other side" doesn't know about this, so it's likely you will waltz into an undefended town. An auto-defense pops up if the forward base dies, but no one pays attention to those. So big fights sort of happen over time, and by accident, once people figure out where others are. That works with 1,500 people. It won't work with 150.

The system will need to channel people together automatically. Now, that doesn't preclude people posting missions ... it just means the server gotta be smart enough to see mission X was posted, and to auto-create a meaningful mission Y for the other side that will make contact likely to occur.

Not second-guessing HTC at all. Just tossing out some ideas :)

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
News - Wow
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2002, 09:11:51 AM »
This looks very promising.

Lesse: WW2OL for BoF, AH for Fortress Europe and TR for the pacific:)

Daff

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
News - Wow
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2002, 09:36:56 AM »
A lot of possibilites here. If the scripted missions were somewhat dynamic then something like this could be implemented: Offensive mission scheduled to attack base X, launch time 2200 hrs, estimated arrival time at target, 2215 hrs.

At 2205 server generates defensive mission for base X with number of slots dependent on number of slots filled in offensive mission. Launch time 2210.

Many other possible scenarios, Multiple attack missions launched simultaneously from 4-5 fields. Defensive CAP/sweep missions launched just prior to launch of attack missions. The possibilities are endless, but so would seem the work required to build an AI General of this scope.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Spitboy

• Zinc Member
News - Wow
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2002, 09:48:55 AM »
Have you ever used some of the third-party tools for creating missions in IL2? That's exactly what they do, using a bit of logic and waypoints. And if you can do it in a little program like that made by a third-party, you can code in the logic to do it on a bigger scale, automagically, behind the scenes.

It would take a lot of tweaking and adjusting, but I am convinced it could be done. I've been hoping for that type of system for years.

By removing the need for constant missions, it reduces the complexity. Have missions kick off every 15 or 30 minutes. So the server only has to poll the arena, goals and progress every XX minutes and create a new slate of missions.

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
News - Wow
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2002, 12:27:33 PM »
If nothing else, we will find out who has been talking out of their butt, about wanting strat.

Its not as good as an anouncment that there would be a fighter only arena. But,  its the next best thing.

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
News - Wow
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2002, 12:36:38 PM »
I'm tring to get my Squad interested in this idea for SN.

BTW:'Air Launch' the Heavy Bombers.......:rolleyes:

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
News - Wow
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2002, 02:20:40 PM »
easy... i don't really think seperate arenas prove anything...  seperate arenas tend to make people go where the crowd is regardless of their particular taste.... their first choice is the arena with the people in it.

If anything I think the "historical" and "strat" guys are more picky and opinionated than most.  I think that the ego thing hits them harder and they tend to all have a different idea of what is "missuns' or "strat" or "realistic" and they will not play unless their particular brand of said characteristics is modeled exactly as they feel it should be.
lazs